The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HD40 vs S2 vs D800 - found this test which may be of interest

H

HCHeyerdahl

Google Translate

They compare out of camera raw and jpgs. I am not sure how useful that is. Anyway, when I compare the S2 with the D800 jpgs the S2 images appear to me to be somewhat less muchy and have a certain added contrast or however one might describe it. Is this an example showing what others (Marc?) describes as more micro contrast in the S2/leica lenses?

Chris

fotografz

Interesting read and comparison. Seems to be an even handed analysis. Thanks for posting it.

I think it clearly shows the paradigm shift that the D800 brings to the party. For the generalist photographer the new Nikon is a dream come true ... close enough for much more demanding applications, with few of the draw-back associated with MFD, thus making it applicable to more types of photography.

I cannot comment on the D800 IQ since I haven't even touched one let alone used it. If I could get my hands on a demo I'd run my own tests to determine how well it fits my real world criteria.

Based on D800 images posted to date, it produces a higher resolution version of a familiar look and feel that I observed from actual use of the D3X, D3 combo and newer Nano coated Nikon optics, (I do not include Zeiss ZF lenses in this observation because I don't use manual focus lenses on a 35mm DSLR anymore).

I left Nikon because I do not favor that look, and after making an apples-to-apples comparison between the D3X and A900 with all Zeiss ZA AF lenses (all of which are image stabilized), I chose the Sony.

So, the paradigm shift for me in terms of 35mm DSLRs will be if and what Sony does with that D800 sensor in their cameras (A99?) ...which the reviewer casually hinted at. The Sony will undoubtedly be a EVF camera with the next gen EVF tech ... which would be fine with me as it will further differ from cameras like the H4D and S2 and bring additional usefulness for diverse applications (I've never relied on one camera system to do everything).

I can say that I did spend considerable time comparing the H4D/40 and Leica S2 before committing to the S2P (I had a S2 Demo for almost 2 weeks while still owing the H4D/40). IQ was extremely close but in the end the S2 won out due to Leica's extraordinary S optics and my preference for the Leica look and feel over almost anything else including Zeiss (Micro contrast, or whatever you want to call it) ... Plus the weather sealing and highly usable form factor of the S2. I sold the H4D/40 and replaced it with a H4D/60 that further distinguished itself as different with use of the Dalsa sensor and additional resolution ... and I add the more useful sensor ratio to that resolution factor compared to a D800 or S2. If I could wrangle a way, I'd be using a H4D/200 for the applications I use a modular MFD for in the first place.

-Marc

There is something to the Leica images that I can't quite put my finger on that makes them jump. I have to admit that I was expecting more from the Hasselblad and less from the D800.

Quentin_Bargate

Interesting. Both the Hassy and S2 are clearly a tad better than the D800 (not an 800e, however), with the Hassy just edging it over the S2. That also seems to be the conbcusion of the testers. The SD1 is nowhere in comparison. Based on that test, if image quality was the *only* consideration, I'd choose the H4D-40.

KeithL

I wouldn't kick any of 'em out of bed.

Seriously, I wouldn't choose one over another based on IQ.

Swissblad

High praise indeed Keith.

When I look at your work - I wonder what this MP madness is all about....?

Have a good Easter, S :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be careful of contrast it will give the appearance of sharper. The S2 for example looks contrastier than the Hassy. Not saying one better than the other but watch appearances.

Quentin_Bargate

I have looked at these shots again and again and there is significantly more data in the H4D-40 shot compared with the Leica S2. The S2 might have a tad more contrast, but the H4D-40 has more actual image information.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Leica seems to be exposed slightly brighter than the others, but I agree that there's a certain ambience in the Leica photo, at least at low ISO, that makes me prefer that. But at ISO 400, the Hasselblad seems to have the edge. Above 800 is obviously Nikon territory.

But the real question is: How will these cameras compare in real life photography, on print at realistic viewing distances.

fotografz

Frankly, I always remain suspicious of those using certain software unless they are VERY familiar with it. Hasselblad's Phocus being a prime example. I also must have missed the part about what lenses were used, and in the case of Hasselblad's optics, which version.

Most of all, in the headlong rush to meg count, and web sized comparisons as proof of something or another, I'm still not sure folks grasp the real world differences between all these imaging choices.

As Jorgen observed, " ...what is the comparison in real life photography, and on print at realistic viewing distances" ... to which I'd add the cropping factor that can happen in real life, and most certainly happens for commercial applications.

Attached is a little chart that gathers some basic info onto one sheet ... namely, actual sensor sizes as they relate to one another which indicates the degree of enlargement required for any given final application. In my experience the actual effect of "degree of enlargement" has a direct visual effect on the apparent feeling of depth, over-all sense of clarity, and degree of visual tonal gradations, and apparent effect of noise ... even at real world print viewing distances.

To that, I've added a Print Ratio overlay that indicates the efficiency of each sensor ratio as it relates to the most common print sizes. Where the color ratio diagonal line intersects the top edge of the sensor ratio boxes shows what you tossing out compared to other ratios. Not that everyone follows these print ratios, but they ARE the most used, ordered, and are most certainly common for many commercial applications.

So, to make a 30"X40" print from a H4D/50 or 60, you are basically using ALL of the sensor resolution requiring less enlargement percentage, compared to the S2 and D800 which are cropping out a fair amount of their resolution thus requiring an even greater enlargement percentage to make the same print. IMO, and direct experience this has an obvious, and sometimes profound effect on the apparent noise, tonal gradations and so on ... as it applies to a real world print.

I would hazard a prediction that as more of the 35mm DSLRs approach the 30 and 40 meg territory, MFD makers will simply abandon the crop frame versions of their backs and concentrate on fewer larger sized sensors with 60 meg the entry level, and go up from there. If ALL of their products are more concentrated, it should lead to more efficient manufacture and relative pricing ... or it'll simple be more speciality solutions with more and more specific custom applications like Phase's recent aerial and repro cameras, and Hasselblad's on-going aerial specialty products ... and expand outward from there.

Whether one needs that sort of IQ performance or wants it, is a personal decision.

-Marc

(Click graphic to make larger)

Shashin

So, to make a 30"X40" print from a H4D/50 or 60, you are basically using ALL of the sensor resolution requiring less enlargement percentage, compared to the S2 and D800 which are cropping out a fair amount of their resolution thus requiring an even greater enlargement percentage to make the same print.
Sorry, that is just fixing criteria to meet your argument. A print does not need to be a 4:3 ratio, it could be a 3:2 ratio (30x45) in which case the 4:3 sensors are at a disadvantage.

I think what you will see at proper viewing distances is the difference in sensor sizes--a different DoF and differences in micro-contrast because a larger sensor is working at different frequency.

I am not sure why MFD manufacturers would abandon the 1.16 or 1.27 crop sensors. When 35mm hit 24MP, 22MP and 33MP MFDB where/are still kept in production. Pixel counting is not the point. Sensor size is the difference. When the Nex 9 comes out with a 36MP APS-C sensor, do you think that will eliminate the 35mm format and folks will throw their MFD cameras on a bonfire? I am also wondering why the Sony Nex 7 and STL77 was not heralded as the FF killer which will send Canon and Nikon FF cameras into the pages of history.

fotografz

Sorry, that is just fixing criteria to meet your argument. A print does not need to be a 4:3 ratio, it could be a 3:2 ratio (30x45) in which case the 4:3 sensors are at a disadvantage.

I think what you will see at proper viewing distances is the difference in sensor sizes--a different DoF and differences in micro-contrast because a larger sensor is working at different frequency.

I am not sure why MFD manufacturers would abandon the 1.16 or 1.27 crop sensors. When 35mm hit 24MP, 22MP and 33MP MFDB where/are still kept in production. Pixel counting is not the point. Sensor size is the difference. When the Nex 9 comes out with a 36MP APS-C sensor, do you think that will eliminate the 35mm format and folks will throw their MFD cameras on a bonfire? I am also wondering why the Sony Nex 7 and STL77 was not heralded as the FF killer which will send Canon and Nikon FF cameras into the pages of history.
Well, the question at hand was real world ... and I sell prints in the real world to clients that order based on use, framing and stuff like that all the time. They want 8X10s and 11 X14s .... and most large prints are 16 X 20s and a few 30x40s.

If you're making prints for yourself, or framing your prints for sale you can do anything you want.

As far as whether keeping the crop sensor MFD solutions remains, the market will dictate that, not anyone's theory ... your's or mine included. Some MFD companies kept 22 and 33 meg when 24 meg made its debut, Hasselblad did not, nor their 16 or 39 backs. They kept the 31 as a low priced entry as a marketing ploy, but I seriously doubt that'll last. The 40 may be around for a few years, but as the impact of the higher meg 35mm DSLRs is felt, I think those will disappear also. Just read all the propaganda people believe about the equality of the D800 compared to 40 meg MFD ... that is the market speaking.

-Marc

Shashin

Just read all the propaganda people believe about the equality of the D800 compared to 40 meg MFD ... that is the market speaking.

-Marc
No argument there. Camera companies need something to sell and pixels in quantity have always been the draw. But I stopped chasing the latest when I gave up wearing green polyester leisure suits. The success of my work has nothing to do with how many dots are in it, as I am sure you understand.

What I think will be interesting for folks moving up the the D800 is not how many pixels there are, but the computing power and storage they will need. If pixel counts just keep going up, I am just going to need another hobby to fill in the time while I process and move all the data.

johnnygoesdigital

Considering there even is a comparison between 2 very pricey MFD's, and a cheap 35mm, and the differences are only slight; says a lot about the D800.

S

Shelby Lewis

Considering there even is a comparison between 2 very pricey MFD's, and a cheap 35mm, and the differences are only slight; says a lot about the D800.
Yeah... it's got me in a bit of a predicament right now as I need something for some wide angle (architectural) and journalistic work... both of which I haven't been doing for some time. I'm pretty sure I could post-process D800 images to be basically indistinguishable from my Aptus files in most any situation.

I don't care for the 35mm form factor and viewfinder... but from a pure utility standpoint, the D800 now has basically all the bases covered. The IQ (and color, IMO) are better than previous Nikon bodies as well from the few samples I've seen.

Damn, I wish I had enough money for a tech cam, an RZ, and the new Nikon :D

bensonga

Damn, I wish I had enough money for a tech cam, an RZ, and the new Nikon :D
All things considered, I would start with the Nikon for $3k and add the tech cam later (you still have the RZ, right?). ;)

Bottom line, the Nikon D800 is a bargain.

Gary

S

Shelby Lewis

All things considered, I would start with the Nikon for $3k and add the tech cam later (you still have the RZ, right?). ;)

Bottom line, the Nikon D800 is a bargain.

Gary
Yeah... but I'm back in Doctoral studies (with 3 kids) and don't have the $$$ to just add a system. All of a sudden, the Nikon looks super compelling whereas before I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I've been looking through D800 samples on 500px.com and, all in all, they don't have the dimensionality of my aptus that I can usually see even in web sized shots, but they do look nice.

bensonga

Sorry, that is just fixing criteria to meet your argument. A print does not need to be a 4:3 ratio, it could be a 3:2 ratio (30x45) in which case the 4:3 sensors are at a disadvantage.\
I always hesitate to disagree with Marc, but from my own perspective (non-commercial, choose any print size I want), I would have to agree Shashin.

I choose the paper that maximizes use of the image aspect ratio of my original image and so Marc's constraints are not constraints for me. If I'm printing from full frame 35mm images, 11x17, 13x19 and soon 17x25 are just fine with me. One great thing about the D800....I'll be able to print on 17x25 paper at 300 dpi with native resolution!! :thumbs:

Gary

johnnygoesdigital

Shelby,

I think with a few good Zeiss primes and the D800, and some creative post; you might get close to the look of the Aptus...maybe.