The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P40+/RZ67 lens multiplication?

segraves

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to put a Phase One back on my RZ67 "non-D" body. I already have an adapter and am deciding between the P40+ and the P45+, both in the "V" mount. My question is, has anyone tried the P40+ on the RZ? I'm curious about lens multiplication. The P40+ has a lens mult. of 1.3x and there is a crop factor using the RZ lenses as well. Anyone know how this will affect the lens focal lengths overall? As an example, what will the 110mm lens become? Any help and explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Gary Segraves

Shashin

Focal length is focal length. The diagonal for the P40 I believe is 55mm. A 110mm lens has 2x magnification--110/55. That is like a 86mm lens on 35mm--43x2--or a 300mm on 4x5 or 160mm on 6x7 or a 600mm on 8x10, etc.

johnnygoesdigital

If the sensor has a crop factor of 1.3, simply multiply the lens length to that factor. Sometimes it's used to an advantage, for example a short wide angle lens becomes more"standard" and a standard lens becomes more of a portrait lens.

In medium format, an 80mm lens is considered standard-with a crop factor it becomes a 104mm.

Shashin

An 80mm is a standard for a 6x6, but not the other medium-format formats. The 1.3 crop factor is for 6x4.5 which has a diagonal of 70mm or a standard of 70mm.

segraves

Yes, in most cases normally I would just multiply 1.3x the lens focal length. The RZ67 110mm lens is considered "a normal lens" for this system. So using this, the lens becomes a 143mm. There is also a crop factor when using 6x7 lenses, so what I'm curious is if the 1.3x multiplication of the P40+ back is in addition to the crop factor of the 6x7 lenses. If so, how much longer effectively, if at all, does the 110mm lens become? Phase One can probably answer the question quickly, but wanted to know if anyone has had the experience of using the P40+ on the RZ.
Thanks.

MaxKißler

For me it is much easier to refer to 35mm focal lengths. Just multiply the "crop factor" of each specific format with the lens' focal length to get the 35mm reference. For example a 44mm*33mm seized back has a crop factor of approximately 0,8. 48mm*36mm is 0,725 etc... So the 110mm with the P40+ will equal the field of view of a focal length of approximately 88mm in 35mm terms.

Stefan Steib

There is a very nice little app for the iPhone to calculate this. It´s called

Angle of View - 99 cent

just put in the size of the sensor and the focal lenght and it will calculate the
image angle which than can be corellated to up to 4 sensor sizes.

Greetings from right now Poland

Stefan

Steve Hendrix

For me it is much easier to refer to 35mm focal lengths. Just multiply the "crop factor" of each specific format with the lens' focal length to get the 35mm reference. For example a 44mm*33mm seized back has a crop factor of approximately 0,8. 48mm*36mm is 0,725 etc... So the 110mm with the P40+ will equal the field of view of a focal length of approximately 88mm in 35mm terms.

Or just download our *free* Capture Integration Focal Length Calculator and you may have it refer to whatever format you please, from 35mm all the way up to 4x5.

Focal Length Equivalent Calculator :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

Steve Hendrix

jotloob

Subscriber Member
There is a very nice little app for the iPhone to calculate this. It´s called

Angle of View - 99 cent

just put in the size of the sensor and the focal lenght and it will calculate the
image angle which than can be corellated to up to 4 sensor sizes.

Greetings from right now Poland

Stefan
Stefan

I have installed that APP yesterday and find it great .
Thanks for the hint .

Stefan Steib

my pleasure - I think the really good stuff is plain and simple and does exactly what is needed and offered. That´s one of these plain on target apps.
I wish there were more of these.

There is one more that I recommend - but it´s more expensive - actually a tool for cameramen, but also very useful for Photograpers:
PCam by David Eubanks for 29,99 $US
pCAM Film+Digital Calculator

and of course if you want to use your iPhone as near pro video device
Filmic Pro by Cinegenix LLC -as version 3 it ´s free now(maybe that´s only for an intro so grab it while you can) - a must get !
the version 2 is 4.49 $US . http://filmicpro.com/
One of my favourites (though not connected to the MF but fun!)

regards
Stefan