The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pano stitch test Single row

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I thought I would share this. I shot a 8 shot vertical stitch with my Pano Elements package and the 28mm mamiya. Got everything lined up and just shot 8 frames by panning across than in Photo merge let it go on auto. Worked very nice but I still have the bowing with ceiling and wall . Not a straight across line. Now this has to be becuase of the 28mm super wide and a longer lens would be better at this which is fine so here is the result of that at F16 2 seconds each exposure. This is a test and did not light anything

Guy Mancuso

Now I got the bright idea of doing a select all than go into edit to transform as see if I can work this a little. So I went to the warp tool and you will get 4 points across the top of the frame one on each end than 2 in the middle . So what i did was bring the 2 in the middle down under the lines straightened out as much as possible . Than hit okay , than what i ddid again was select all , transform and hit distort this time and pulled the whole top up to stretch it back up. And it actually worked pretty good. I could play more but this looks pretty good and i know this all has to be because the use of the wide angle and a longer lens probably would not do this to the ceiling wall but not always a choice to go longer so need to figure a way to make it better and this may not be a bad way to go

Guy Mancuso

There maybe some other tricks on doing this also and need to play more but a interesting CS3 tool. Now CS4 is supposed to be better at Photomerge, we will have to see

Ben Rubinstein

I don't know what tools you have with your pano elements package but I use Autopano Pro and I know PTGUI has the same feature of making a rectilinear pano where you can specify which lines you need to be straight in both horizontal and vertical. That and a very powerful vanishing point tool means that you have a huge amount of control over your pano to make it look as natural as possible.

jonoslack

Hi Guy
I reckon you need other software.

Incidentally, how big are you going to print this! Presumably it'll be larger than the room!

Guy Mancuso

Hi Guy
I reckon you need other software.

Incidentally, how big are you going to print this! Presumably it'll be larger than the room!
Well this I won't print it's my family room , my hangout when i don't have kids in my ear. LOL But it looks like it would print very well in a big size

Guy Mancuso

Sounds like Autopano might be the better software when you get into this kind of straight line stuff. For landscape work i would think Photomerge will be just fine

Don Libby

Guy – I’m a little surprised that you couldn’t have gotten the same image in either one shot or two on top of one another on a horizontal plane, or did I miss something……

don

Guy Mancuso

I probably could Don , I know i need to shoot something pretty specific in a couple weeks and it will HAVE to be vertical stitched, bathroom actually and just seeing what I need to do to get that done because i know I will run into the ceiling wall issue there . But nice thought about horizontal up and one down , that maybe useful also. Hmmm maybe add one more part to my Pano tools to do that easier

Guy Mancuso

heck you may not need it anymore. ROTFLMAO

Okay just for shits i did the same thing as a horizontal pano

Ben Rubinstein

Autopano pro have a good trial software, does absolutely everything including full sized output but puts a watermark so you can really see how well it's working. There are a few bits and peices that can be confusing, I know the program pretty well, please PM me if you have any problems.

Tip 1: When you import the images click here for the Edit window,

Select 'Planar' projection (what they call rectilinear),

Then draw in your horizontal and vertical lines:

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

History tool which works like in PS:

Vanishing/Center Point tool, far easier than using perspective adjusments or the Yaw/Pitch/Roll tool. Note the cropping tool on the left hand side to get rid of the black areas post adjustments.

It is very important for trouble free stitches to set up the focal lengths used do the program knows what distortion correction to apply otherwise it can get very confused. This is done via the original import images window.

Ben Rubinstein

Hope this helps, their documentation is rather basic if you just want to get on with making rectilinear/architectural style stitches.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Ben I did go and look at it , seems to be the one I will need. Some tools there that really will straighten things out.