The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From H3D to P1 645.. what U think?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hate? No reason to hate either imo. Both are okay.
It's the little thing like a WLF, really good zooms, better AF and a faster 100mm lens that I prefer on the Hassy, but there are nice things about the DF as well. I like all the SK primes and I love the AF/MF lens ring.
I just question some things like the plastic lens shades and the eye piece that I have to gaffer tape to the camera...but nothings perfect.
Btw, you can get a new revised eye piece that has a lock on it so that it doesn't fall off every time. $99 well spent although I guess gaffer tape is cheaper.

Love the SK & D glass. I tolerate the relative crudeness of the DF for the glass although it still has some features that mystify me such as the AEB and exposure compensation being linked so in reality you simply just ignore that feature. I shoot in manual exposure mode and appreciate the ability to have the camera set exposure automatically by holding the AE lock button. Ditto the timed MUP release is convenient.

I'd definitely subscribe to the approach of trying the cameras to see which one feels natural to you. The ergonomics make a big difference and will affect your long term satisfaction with the system probably more than features & functionality.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just curious why you don't consider upgrading to the H4-60?

Matt, what do you mean pity about the Hy6 - the company DHW is still operating and making cameras and you can buy both Sinar and Leaf backs for it.

Add IMHO - the H4 body is probably the best MF camera out there - only bested by the Hy6. The DF is not anywhere in the same league as those two. Why Phase keeps pushing this is beyond reason - the marriage of the beauty (IQ backs) and the beast.
Oh, there's no problem with the Hy6! My primary interest (landscape/architecture with a tech cam) leads me to the Phase backs and for reasons never adequately explained, although often defended, Phase refuses to be compatible with the Hy6. Ah well.

--Matt

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I'm not sure my opinion is worth much because I've never used Hassy with digital capture, tho' I used the 500 CM and the FC in my film days. Still, I have handled the present day bodies and they certainly look and are finished better than Phase.

However, I must say a few words in defense of Phasmiya. I've had the AFD, AFD III and now the DF/IQ180. They have each functioned faultlessly. I find the viewfinders great (espec. after DSLRs!) and the ergonomics quite good, though not perfect. Yes, the AF is a bit primitive but as a mainly landscape shooter I don't care.

The Phase lenses are above reproach. The 150D is the sharpest MF lens I've ever used. The 55 LS is a beauty and my most used optic. The 28 isn't perfect til f11, but then it's fabulous. And so on and so on! In other words, yes, I'm a fan.

Would I be as happy with Hassy? Yes - almost certainly. It's doubtless a great system. In the end you pays your money and takes your choice.

Bill