The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa focusing on a Ground Glass/Fresnel

W

wgcho

Does anybody use GG/Fresnel with an Alpa 12 body? I've recently acquired one, but I find it extremely hard to focus. It's been quite a while, but I've used several large format view/field cameras with fresnel in the past and I remember it being much easier and sharper than this.

I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong. I think I've tried all four combinations of sandwiching the GG and fresnel, and I am now using the matte side of GG facing the lens+rough part of the fresnel facing the GG. Is this the right way of using this? Would 3rd party glasses (like Maxwell) improve the situation?

Thanks,

-Ted

Last edited:

darr

Ted, I have the Pro Grid Screen (PGS) and use the Leather Focusing Bellows with it. My screen is all intact--I do not touch/sandwich the fresnel. You must have an older model. I do not have any difficulties. For more detail, at times I will use a Hasselblad Magnifying Hood. You might want to contact Thierry (Alpa rep) here on the board for Alpa advice.

Best, Darr

vjbelle

Ted,

I had the focusing screen for awhile and found that with a 10X loupe I could get very accurate focus. It was kind of a pita but still workable. I have an IQ back now and for obvious reasons don't use a ground glass anymore.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I found focussing the Alpa GG without a loupe to be next to impossible. With a loupe and either a dark cloth or the leather GG baggy I find that you do it but you do need a good loupe and 4x is barely sufficient IMHO. Without a loupe you don't have much real estate to work with and the experience is a lot different to the relative ease of using a 4x5 or larger GG.

Aviv1887

I feel the GG is a good tool for composing the frame. I love the disconnect from the subject and just compose. Wider angle lenses are very hard to focus compared to the 4x5 screens. It starts to show you good focus with a 70mm lens and up. With HPF rings on your lenses it gets pretty good in just guessing the distance and just set it on the ring. Best is to be able to tether if you don't have an IQ.

darr

I do not use my GG much anymore. I compose via a Linhof viewfinder and set the lens. I tested my lenses enough to know where their sweet spots are and then do a little bit of focus bracketing. With wide lenses, I shoot via hyperfocal. I use a P45 so no instant viewing for me and I only shoot tethered in the studio with an M-Line 2.

dchew

Thing is, measuring distance and dialing in focus with a shimmed back and an HPF ring is just so darn efficient compared to anything else I've tried.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Thing is, measuring distance and dialing in focus with a shimmed back and an HPF ring is just so darn efficient compared to anything else I've tried.

Dave
Thats my view too. Easy enough to do basic framing via a viewfinder and then use a rangefinder or disto to get the distance where I need something better than hyperfocal or a focus stack.

For composition I can also easily shoot and review on the LCD (especially an IQ but the normal P series too).

darr

Dave
I thought about buying the rings, but so far I have been able to get what I want without them. Maybe if I saw someone shooting with them it might change my mind. It is good to hear they work so well. :thumbs:

vjbelle

Thats my view too. Easy enough to do basic framing via a viewfinder and then use a rangefinder or disto to get the distance where I need something better than hyperfocal or a focus stack.

For composition I can also easily shoot and review on the LCD (especially an IQ but the normal P series too).
I actually compose on the IQ back. Its very fast and eliminates carrying the extra weight and bulk of the viewfinder. After that its a quick distance calculation from the Leica and shoot. On maybe one out of ten shots I have to use live view and a Schneider MF loupe.... All in all a very easy workflow. :)

Victor

dchew

I think most Alpa users move to this method because 1- It is quick and 2- We have no way to tilt wide angles so there are no adjustments to be made that vary from the HPF setting. I am interested to see what happens to my workflow once Alpa releases the WA tilt solution later this year. Will I use live view more or just focus bracket...? Either way I don't see a ground glass in my future.

Dave
I thought about buying the rings, but so far I have been able to get what I want without them. Maybe if I saw someone shooting with them it might change my mind. It is good to hear they work so well. :thumbs:

W

wgcho

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was trying to focus with my 24mm, which I guess is the hardest. It seems like I would need to use dark cloth, too. I should also consider getting the HPF ring and a disto!

-Ted

darr

Thanks for the info Dave. You have me thinking ... which usually means I might be spending some $. Paul (Optechs) was my dealer in the past, who would you recommend now?

Darr

I think most Alpa users move to this method because 1- It is quick and 2- We have no way to tilt wide angles so there are no adjustments to be made that vary from the HPF setting. I am interested to see what happens to my workflow once Alpa releases the WA tilt solution later this year. Will I use live view more or just focus bracket...? Either way I don't see a ground glass in my future.

Dave

dchew

My dealer is Dodd, which has locations in Cleveland and Chicago. They have been very accommodating and always get me the info I need.
http://www.doddpro.com
Dennis Semick is the primary contact regarding Alpa.

Dave

darr

Thanks Dave--I will contact Dennis and tell him you gave his recommendation. :) Have a nice Sunday!! Darr

My dealer is Dodd, which has locations in Cleveland and Chicago. They have been very accommodating and always get me the info I need.
http://www.doddpro.com
Dennis Semick is the primary contact regarding Alpa.

Dave

f8orbust

I'm sure folks are right about the speed/accuracy/convenience of rough framing with a viewfinder, measuring distance with a disto, and composing with the IQ screen ... but to be honest that workflow just leaves me feeling like I've been slapped in the face with a wet fish ... it's simply too disconnected, mechanical and 'by the numbers' for me.

Personally, I love composing on the ground glass - it is, and always has been, one of the fundamental joys of photographing with a view camera (now tech camera). Seeing the image appear on the groundglass is still as magical today as it was the first time I ever witnessed it.

Is it convenient? For focussing, no, in comparison to some of the methods described above - but I never really considered convenience to be that important (years of lugging around 5x7, and occasionally 8x10, camera gear I guess). On the other hand, it is when composing, or using a polariser and/or ND grads.

Accurate? Absolutely (I use a 10x lupe to nail focus).

Speed? Well, let's face it, I'm in no hurry. If I was, I'd use a DSLR.

Just my 2c.

Jim.

GrahamWelland

Jim,

I agree about the process and workflow. I'm just averse to taking the back on & off and dust bunny removal that ensues. (Not to mention heart attack when holding the back naked in the field).

darr

I agree with Graham. I truly enjoy looking at a ground-glass (8x10" is real nice), but I use my Alpa primarily for landscape stuff and the landscape where I live is swamp and bugs. I walk around with my Linhof viewfinder searching for a shot and then setup the camera. So far I have been winging the focus after I ran a few tests on my lenses. The HPF rings sound quick, but I am contemplating if I want to carry another piece of gear (the Disto). I try so much to keep it all simple and light-weight.

f8orbust

Jim, I agree about the process and workflow. I'm just averse to taking the back on & off and dust bunny removal that ensues. (Not to mention heart attack when holding the back naked in the field).
I hear you Graham - fortunately I use a sliding back ... another inconvenience ;)

... I walk around with my Linhof viewfinder searching for a shot and then setup the camera ...
My 'viewfinder' is a Canon S100 - 4:3 ratio, nice screen, GPS, light and compact, and focal lengths (in 35mm terms) from 24mm - 120mm, about the same as I use with my Linhof.