The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Architectural stitching with MFDB

B

buzzski

Hello, I'm curious to see if any of you are shooting architectural with MFDB and stitching afterwards. I'm shooting Blad V/Aptus 17 combo and my widest lens is 40mm. I've tried some tests shooting either 50mm and 80mm then stitching with PTGui trial version which have been OK but I'm wondering if any of you have experiences you could share that may prove more successful. I haven't been using a specific pano head but have been basically shooting say four shots over three rows on a normal B&S head allowing sufficient overlap. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks, Craig

JimCollum

i shoot with a Horseman SWD-II Pro and the 35mm lens, and the Aptus 75. I've stitched images (giving the equivalent of 14mm on a full frame DSLR) with no problem (lens cast can be fixed with vendor supplied software)

JimCollum

Hello, I'm curious to see if any of you are shooting architectural with MFDB and stitching afterwards. I'm shooting Blad V/Aptus 17 combo and my widest lens is 40mm. I've tried some tests shooting either 50mm and 80mm then stitching with PTGui trial version which have been OK but I'm wondering if any of you have experiences you could share that may prove more successful. I haven't been using a specific pano head but have been basically shooting say four shots over three rows on a normal B&S head allowing sufficient overlap. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks, Craig
you can achieve similar results with a pano head, but it's a little harder to be certain that you have the shot when you leave the customer site. I'd recommend being very liberal in your shots.. shooting a lot more at the perimeter of the shot to make sure that there will be enough room to transform the image to be rectilinear

Mitchell

Jim,

I really like the composition of the first two shots. They work as wholes, but also as 4 or more rectangular shots. Keeps the eye exploring.

Best,

Mitchell

Rethmeier

Jim,
do you shift the back or the lens?
The reason why I'm asking,that when you shift the lens you could have issues with parallax. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also what about white shading of the files?
Regards,
Willem.

JimCollum

Jim,
do you shift the back or the lens?
The reason why I'm asking,that when you shift the lens you could have issues with parallax. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also what about white shading of the files?
Regards,
Willem.
With the Horseman, you shift the back.. which eliminates parallax completely. The Leaf software has a 'gain' adjustment program.. you take a shot through a opaque white filter for each of the shifts.

B

buzzski

Thanks for that Jim, you have achieved exactly what I am trying to capture. I notice you are using a 35mm lens with a shifting back. I have the option to use 40, 50 or 80 lenses fixed on a Hasselblad. I was worried about using the 40, although I'd be capturing a wider area I was concerned about distortion which would be greater than the other two lenses... Having said that, shooting on an Aptus 17 I am using the sweeter spot of the lens. Do you think I am struggling without using a pano head and if so without breaking the bank can you recommend one that will support a MF camera? I also take your point that it's a bit disconcerting that once you've shot your images, your not really 100% sure that they will stitch together successfully. Thanks for all your help, I've just joined the forum here and am delighted at the response so far.

B

buzzski

Hi Graham, thanks for your reply. I'm just starting to play around with stitching as a viable way of shooting interiors (and to that exteriors which I've done reasonably well) and am looking for other peoples experiences regarding lens choice, software to stitch and whether a pano head is a necessary purchase. I loved your image on LL boards a week or so back of a three-stitch exterior building at twilight. Can you elabortae on how you achieved it? Thanks again, Craig

jlm

Workshop Member
in case you didn't see it, I am offering a Horseman SWD 2 and Rodenstock 35mm setup for sale. Same rig as Jim's

jm

B

buzzski

in case you didn't see it, I am offering a Horseman SWD 2 and Rodenstock 35mm setup for sale. Same rig as Jim's

jm
I would love to... and at such a reasonable price too, however I'm just not in a position to make such a big spend at the moment, I've upgraded digi back, blad body and two lenses this year already, I fear this would be a step too far! Thank you though, Craig