The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bargain MFDB deals at dealers!

gazwas

It feels weird that our two illustrious forum leaders are downshifting their DB's.

Damn, this D800 must be good.....

atanabe

It feels weird that our two illustrious forum leaders are downshifting their DB's.

Damn, this D800 must be good.....
They drank the Kool Aid - must resist! For me when Nikon comes out with AF lenses that have the same character as the Leica and Zeiss adopted lenses I will then consider switching but not till that happens.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The D800 is not worthy of Koolaid nor is anything else for me this is just business matters on my end. The rest is private and not happy i actually had to list my back for sale . People are running like scared rabbits for no reason. The D800 is not the MF killer. Far from it but it is very good that I will give it. Sorry i don't share in the hype of it, end of day it still is a nikon not a phase back.

Bottom line is, it is hard to find a photographer (whom I know personally) who owns either P65+, IQ160 or IQ180 didn't order Nikon D800 yet!

Subrata

Guy Mancuso

Most Pros run two systems anyway some 3 so no real surprise there but if your talking 35mm than sure the D800 is the best there is and that makes perfect sense to have a D800 and folks will sell off there Canons and older Nikons to get one or the D4 as well. Lets face it and I have said this all along its a great cheat system. You get some horsepower that is pretty obvious. But its not a replacement and I think there lies the confusion. I can't shoot great wide angle tech cam kind of movements with a Nikon, there is nothing that will match that. So yea great system but like every other system it has its limitations as well. Now if your a wildlife shooter than hell Nikon smokes a MF anyway. It all depends on your photography and what you do.

Guy Mancuso

We need to remember as well the economy still sucks and many Pros are struggling to keep the doors open. Honestly we are the worst gage of the market since things are bad or our clients have sliced our pricing to ****. My 30 times a year client is down to 6 if that tells you anything and i have nothing to do with that reduction they still love me to death but there just is no budget for them. Its a pinch and a lot of guys have gone down the tubes , its sad to watch it happen. The best gage is really the hobbyist as they spend more than we do but Im seeing a lot of them bailing for no damn good reason as well . Maybe they feel the Pros pain and following suit not sure but whatever you bought last year in MF is no dinosaur either it still is the best image quality you can get your hands on. A lot of pros have had to readjust to the market and Im sorry you would be a idiot if your not making changes to that slide. Thats us we have no choices the hobbyist has all the choices in the world to make. Some folks are willing to take a bath on this stuff and thats there choice and it does not always look good in the market and a lot of going out of business stuff that follows it. Its hard to judge this and i think a lot of mistakes are being made. It's sad to watch as i care very much about the industry that supported me for many many years.

gazwas

Bottom line is, it is hard to find a photographer (whom I know personally) who owns either P65+, IQ160 or IQ180 didn't order Nikon D800 yet!

Subrata
And they probably own iPhones as well.
Now I feel paranoid as I qualify in that group but have no interest in ordering a D800 but I do own an iPhone....?

My 1Ds3 still takes fab pictures and the release of the new Nikon hasn't changed this so I'm keeping a firm grip of my Canon gear.

Guy Mancuso

See thats the problem people feel paranoid because Nikon upped the game . Frankly we should be happy and the MF market will adjust accordingly but taking 20k baths on a sale is bad for the market in a couple weeks. A market that is already very thin on users. I refuse to take a bath , I will give someone a great deal but I need to walk away with a smile too and feel good about it, luckily I made money on it so that pain is far less than the hobbyist. Really they should not be giving this away unless they have some financial trouble which I totally understand that end. I don't know Im pretty stubborn about this industry on this level so maybe I'm not the one to speak out but I don't like what I am seeing. I am happy for Nikon and the D800 certainly helps me cheat a little better but I still love and want my tech cam and a back to go with it. Nothing can touch that, its so much fun to shoot.

Guy,

I agree with you. What I forgot to mention you is they all are Landscape Photographers. I'm not talking about Wildlife / Sports / Wedding photographers.

I have even seen one of them who never used 35mm system before in his 35 yrs. of Professional Fine Art Landscape Photography career and sells his print through Ansel Adam Gallery and many others. However, at the same time he is NOT replacing his IQ180, but wants to do what IQ180 can't do as it can't do long exposure and poor high ISO performance.

Subrata

Most Pros run two systems anyway some 3 so no real surprise there but if your talking 35mm than sure the D800 is the best there is and that makes perfect sense to have a D800 and folks will sell off there Canons and older Nikons to get one or the D4 as well. Lets face it and I have said this all along its a great cheat system. You get some horsepower that is pretty obvious. But its not a replacement and I think there lies the confusion. I can't shoot great wide angle tech cam kind of movements with a Nikon, there is nothing that will match that. So yea great system but like every other system it has its limitations as well. Now if your a wildlife shooter than hell Nikon smokes a MF anyway. It all depends on your photography and what you do.

jagsiva

I have a 5Diii, 800E and Aptus II 12 (soon to be IQ180)...so there are my biases. I got the 800E so I could have something I could use out of a Kayak, easier to swallow dropping a 5K kit in Lake Superior vs. a 50K one. Having said this, I think the two serve very different purposes.

Also, I knew when I went ownt he MFDB route, especially at the top end, that this was not for any kind of monetary gains or investment dreams, this was going to be a quickly depreciating proposition, but that is life in the fast lane.

Coincidentally, last night, I looked at the "fun with D800" and "fun with MFDB" threads. To me, it could be some kind of placebo effect, the MFDB images look very different -- mostly in tonality and smoothness. Also, every other image on that thread is stunning. The images in the "fun with tech cam" takes this even a step further. It could be that images in the MFDB thread were taken with more care and patience, or by more experienced users, regardless, they are different.

For me, solid ground -- MFDB, water underneath -- D800E, kids and stuff around the house -- 5DIII.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Older MF film cameras are starting to sound attractive to me again

And Leica lenses going up :)

Guy Mancuso

Yes the D800 will add some functionality for folks . Just the AF alone has me excited for certain things. Long exposures absolutely and why a lots guys have a P45+ but its also a one horse pony in a way . It can't do ISO 200 for anything without bad noise.

Damn problem is its all about compromise

bab

We need to remember as well the economy still sucks and many Pros are struggling to keep the doors open. Honestly we are the worst gage of the market since things are bad or our clients have sliced our pricing to ****. My 30 times a year client is down to 6 if that tells you anything and i have nothing to do with that reduction they still love me to death but there just is no budget for them. Its a pinch and a lot of guys have gone down the tubes , its sad to watch it happen. The best gage is really the hobbyist as they spend more than we do but Im seeing a lot of them bailing for no damn good reason as well . Maybe they feel the Pros pain and following suit not sure but whatever you bought last year in MF is no dinosaur either it still is the best image quality you can get your hands on. A lot of pros have had to readjust to the market and Im sorry you would be a idiot if your not making changes to that slide. Thats us we have no choices the hobbyist has all the choices in the world to make. Some folks are willing to take a bath on this stuff and thats there choice and it does not always look good in the market and a lot of going out of business stuff that follows it. Its hard to judge this and i think a lot of mistakes are being made. It's sad to watch as i care very much about the industry that supported me for many many years.
Bad economy didn't you watch CNN or MSNBC or listen to that guy on TV once and awhile...everything is going to be fine were doing good now its been tough but it takes time and things are much better now than three years ago!