The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Information from Alpa

stephengilbert

I'd certainly go to Bear first. I've spoken with Ted in the past, and he's been both helpful and knowledgeable.

I think people are being a bit too worried about ALPA's decision. While I think they're making a mistake, I don't think it's that big a deal. I've always preferred talking to someone like Paul Slotboom on the phone to reading an announcement on the internet.

I bought my first ALPA gear from Badger Graphics when they were still a dealer, and have dealt with Optechs more recently. I think the combination of a good dealer, and the feedback here from users will be quite sufficient.

stngoldberg

Last summer after reading many posts on this forum, I decided that I wanted to but an Alpa to use with my Hasselblad back. I called Fotocare in NY and was amazed by how difficult it was to get anyone on the phone who was knowledgeable concerning the Alpa. I finally emailed Thierry, and of course I immediately received the information that I could not get from Fotocare. I emailed Thierry several times after that asking for some additional details, but when it came time to buy, I couldn't rationalize buying from a dealer who couldn't help me if I had a need for personal attention. I discussed my frustration with Thierry and apologized for not buying an Alpa after receiving all the help he furnished.
Next I called CI asking about the Arca Swiss and was so impressed with the response and the offers to help, that I ended up buy an rm3di and three lenses.
Rod Klukus has also been extremely helpful and responsive.
Alpa probably makes a great camera; people like me need an organization that can help educate. Without Thierry on this forum, I think they are lost
Stanley

stephengilbert

Stanley,

Doesn't your experience show that Thierry's absence is not the deciding factor? In spite of his help, you didn't buy an ALPA. Maybe if CI sold ALPA, or if you'd spoken to Paul Slotboom, you would've made a different choice.

Steve

DSemick

Hello All,

I'd like to introduce myself. I’m Denny Semick from Dodd Camera in Cleveland Ohio. I too am surprised with Alpas decision to pull Theirry from the forums. I’ve been a lurker here for close to a year now, and have always felt the discussions were some of the most professional, informational and respectful that can be found in any public forum. I hope Alpa reconsiders their position on this.

Dodd Camera may be a relatively new dealer for Alpa and I may be the new guy in our sales and support department, but I know my way around a camera. ..yes, even a view camera. For 20 years, up until last year, I made my living working in a commercial studio in Cleveland. I started in the business shooting film and polaroids and was fortunate enough to get into a studio with the foresight to see the digital revolution coming. The transition was pretty darn expensive, but relatively painless from where I was sitting.

I’ll be honest, up until getting the Alpa last year I haven’t worked with a tech camera in many years. Once the digital backs hit 22mp, we moved our view cameras to a box in the loft and shot exclusively with the Hasselblad. Our studio moved to Hasselblad and Leaf in the mid 90’s and then to DSLR’s for a lot of our work by late 2006. This progression was driven by our customer base and by client expectations.

I’m in the position now where I can explore photography for my own personal expression rather than making some else’s vision a reality. My current rig is the Alpa STC and the IQ140.

I will do my best to answer questions that anyone may have not only regarding the Alpa product line, but all things photographic.

Regards,

Denny

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Denny glad you are here. GetDPI is always welcome to people in the industry to further our photography. BTW thanks for your note too, that was very professional of you too ask first. Kind of folks I love having here. So a big welcome from the GetDPI team.