The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus 22 vs Aptus 54s vs Apus II 5

Chris Giles

So someone help me out, I've owned and used the Aptus 22 on the AFD and loved it.

Now I've decided to stick with Hassy and am looking at backs. There are three types of Aptus 22mp back available and am wondering what's the difference as face as image 'look' goes.

I liked the original 22 as it had a film like feel to the images and I'm worried about losing this with the newer models. Also, in regards the Dalsa sensor I noticed on my back (Creo Leaf) the bottom had Kodak written on it. Does that not make it a Kodak sensor then? If so, when did Dalsa take over?

Thanks for any help!

Steve Hendrix

So someone help me out, I've owned and used the Aptus 22 on the AFD and loved it.

Now I've decided to stick with Hassy and am looking at backs. There are three types of Aptus 22mp back available and am wondering what's the difference as face as image 'look' goes.

I liked the original 22 as it had a film like feel to the images and I'm worried about losing this with the newer models. Also, in regards the Dalsa sensor I noticed on my back (Creo Leaf) the bottom had Kodak written on it. Does that not make it a Kodak sensor then? If so, when did Dalsa take over?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Chris -

Of the 3 you mention, Sinar probably has the least "processed" looking image out of the box (starting point). However, Leaf can be adjusted to look quite similar in the amount of perceived processing that it starts with. All 3 products use the same sensor.

One of the biggest advantages you'll find for Leaf is that Capture One is an optional workflow in addition to Leaf Capture (or even a multitude of 3rd party applications, Adobe Raw, Lightroom, Bibble, SilkyPix, Raw Developer, and so on).

The Kodak you see on the bottom refers to the fact Kodak owned Creo, who owned Leaf (at one point, before Phase One's acquisition). However, Leaf has never utilized a Kodak sensor in their digital back product - even when owned by Kodak. Since the late 1990's it has been exclusively Philips/Dalsa sensors.

Steve Hendrix

yaya

Hi Chris,

All 3 models employ the exact same Dalsa 22MP sensor with the main differences being speed and functionality:
The 54S and II 5 have FW800 and UDMA technologies, allowing for fast, continuous shooting. The II 5 also has an improved LCD which is also active during tethered shooting

As Steve mentioned Capture One, it is worth noting that with the II 5 you can use it in (free) DB mode and that the Capture-to-preview time will be reduced compared to the 22 and the 54S

BR, yair

Chris Giles

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to have to get my hands on these and try them out with a model.

My dilemma is I have a P25 on the Hassy currently and whilst it's a good back (I must admit I enjoy the speed of booting, lack of fan and battery placement and lifespan) IQ is of importance to me and it looks very DSLRish to me where the leaf has the more honest film look.

So does the S in the 54s mean Sinar?

Steve Hendrix

The S means Speed. Not sure why Sinar was mentioned...

Oh - wow, did I space out. I saw 54-S and yes there was a Sinar digital back that was also named 54-S. For that matter, there was a total of 4 different Sinar digital backs that used 2 different sensors all with the number 54 in the name (all since discontinued). Yeah - that made it easy. Please disregard the Sinar reference. :loco:

There could be a wonderfully whacky thread about how many different names the same product or sensor has been named, but we'll leave that for some other day (hopefully long into the future).

Steve Hendrix

Chris Giles

Lol, nice to have good company :D

So we're agreed the three backs all look the same in output, it's just the speed and screens that differ?