The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a reasonable offer

JeffWarren

If posting in the wrong area please forgive me.

A childhood friends father has passed leaving him a wide range of equipment. I am interested in making an offer on the following gear and am looking for some advise. (all items are in like new condition)

Body H3D with a 39 back along with an HM 16-32 back
HC 300mm
HC 80mm
HCD 28mm
HC H 1.3 extension
H 1.7 converter

5k on shutter

Any help is appreciated..

Chris Giles

Well in the UK I've seen these collectively reach $12k roughly.

You could probably get more for them individually but a bulk buy would be around that.

The Camera is only worth about $6k, 1.7 about $800, 80m about $1000, 16-32 back $300 and so on.

What I'd do is watch auction prices on ebay and then reduce them by 10% to account for fees. That way you're paying a fair price.
People will only pay what something is worth on there.

JeffWarren

Thank you I have "priced" them via the oh so wonderful internet and it really varies depending what site is used. I am sure my friend will be looking at all the high end prices so I would like to forward him this thread at some point as it will be real world prices or estimates.

Don Libby

You might also wish to get in touch with KEH in Atlanta GA both from the standpoint of what they offer to buy as well as what they sell used for. (KEH.com)

Good luck

Don

Chris Giles

I think it depends on what you intend to do with them.

Ebay prices are the best guide. Just because a store lists an item at $2000 doesn't mean it will sell. Also always take 10% off ebay prices to cover fees incurred by the seller. That's your true value.

I picked up a 50-110mm HC lens Sunday on ebay for £1310. That's $1900. The seller ended up with $1750 after fees.
Just now I watched a Hassy H2D 22mp body, back and two rechargeable grips go for $3000.

gerald.d

Surely the true value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it, not what someone receives for selling it after taking into account eBay fees?

Chris Giles

Surely the true value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it, not what someone receives for selling it after taking into account eBay fees?
Isn't what something is bid up to on ebay after fees exactly that?

I decide to sell a widget, the public decides to bid it up to 2k, after fees I get $1800, that's what it's worth? The only thing to watch out for is that the auction is long enough and low enough to generate the right interest.

gazwas

IMO, what is most important is that the price is fair and favourable to both parties.

Chris, the ebay argument is flawed as a widget that sells for £$€X amount one week might not get to the same/more value the following week. And we've all been told about the sellers bidding up items and creating bidding wars on their own items.

I've sold a few items of kit on here and (unless the buyers tell me different) I asked a fair price that I was happy to accept and one that a buyer found tempting. If the OP's seller expects a tip top book price I'd walk away as there is plenty of choice in the used market.

gerald.d

Isn't what something is bid up to on ebay after fees exactly that?

I decide to sell a widget, the public decides to bid it up to 2k, after fees I get $1800, that's what it's worth? The only thing to watch out for is that the auction is long enough and low enough to generate the right interest.
It's a minor point, but no, I don't think it is.

The worth of something to someone is what they are willing to pay for it. The fact that the seller doesn't receive the full amount that they pay is surely not relevant?

Sheldon N

It's a minor point, but no, I don't think it is.

The worth of something to someone is what they are willing to pay for it. The fact that the seller doesn't receive the full amount that they pay is surely not relevant?
Two things to consider about using eBay as a reference for value. One is the concept of the "winners curse". It points out that the person who wins the auction is the one who places the highest estimate on the value of the item, making them the statistical outlier and by default having paid more than the average assessed value of an item.

Winner's curse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secondly, almost all private party for sale markets (ie web forums) are aware of eBay fees and the collective prices reflect that. The knowledge of the impact of eBay fees is widespread among both buyers and sellers, so prices are typically discounted from eBay values .

Chris Giles

It also pays to say never go on the buy it now price either. Some like to chance their arms on a price they'll never receive.

Two things to consider about using eBay as a reference for value. One is the concept of the "winners curse". It points out that the person who wins the auction is the one who places the highest estimate on the value of the item, making them the statistical outlier and by default having paid more than the average assessed value of an item.
I see a number of things going for a fair price on eBay, but I can't tell you how many times I have seen things sell for near new list price. That said, there is an auction going on right now for a piece of lighting gear and I have to admit that I am the idiot who bid too much.

I think very often people start to see the auction as a competition and they want to win. Of course, there are a lot of things that sell for a fraction of what they are really worth, so you have to average.