The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Convince me not to switch to D800...

I've given up for a while on researching new technology as far as DSLR's because I've been happy with my Phase One P30+ with hasselblad body and lenses. However, today I just found out about the D800 (I know I'm slow now a days). I'm assuming that this camera still can't compare to the look my hasselblad lenses and phase one back provide? I always shoot with lights, so ISO performance means absolutely nothing to me. And I tether into capture one which is obviously not the same with the nikon. Are the files for the new nikon anything like the phase files?

Thanks, and sorry in advance if this is a post that has been talked about over and over.

DeckardTrinity

At some point the laws of physics catch up to you when you squeeze so many pixels into a 35mm sensor. I haven't been following the hype train that is the D800, but I know for me personally I see a big difference in the output between my 5DM2 and Leaf Afi-7. There is no comparison under a properly lit scene, the Leaf blows the Canon away. My $.02.

I saw that when I first switched over from a D3x to a leaf aptus 17. I also realized that switching over would be a horrible idea mainly due to the fact that I do a lot of motion stopping working and having a flash sync speed of 1/800 is one of the main reasons I switched over.

Sheldon N

I shoot with both a 1Ds III and a RZ67/Aptus 22 combo, both of which are about the same megapixel resolution. The bigger sensor just does a better job of of showing detail yet staying smooth and pleasing to the eye. Tonality and DOF control are better too. I can get good resolution from my 1Ds III with good glass and good technique, but the results look "crunchy" compared to the Aptus which is sharp but smooth.

Sensor size wins the day, IMHO.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Are the files for the new nikon anything like the phase files?
I think that this is the crux of the question. I personally don't have a D800 yet but I also transitioned from the D3x (& D3/D3s/D700) to initially an Aptus 65 and then subsequently P40+, P25+ and IQ160. In that transition and comparison to the D3x the answer was a resounding NO, Nikon files were not up to the tonality and elasticity of either the Leaf or Phase files even at basically the same resolution.

From what I've read from Jack & Guy and others it would appears that things are getting pretty close, and I would state that there are definitely advantages to the Nikon system overall, but at the end of the day the big guns are not going away any time soon if you want ultimate image quality (and that's not just resolution). I'm sure that they'll chime in with their summaries so far ...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You should maybe read this thread as i compared the D800 to the IQ 160 with a tech cam. The 160 is obviously better all around color depth , resolution and other things and Im not selling my Phase over it but the D800 is and will be a great tool to have in my sand box. So far I am impressed by Nikons G glass and the quality of this sensor they put in. The E version will most likely be slightly better in micro contrast but will we really see that in print is the question. MF is MF it really is untouched BUT what the Nikon does is get 35mm photography closer to MF. End of day that is a good thing. Bottom line for me is I added it to my kit not replaced it. Not much is going to replace a tech cam with some of the best lenses ever made for it and a IQ 160 back except a IQ 180 back. LOL

But do read this as it is interesting and some nice info to learn from

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/35804-nikon-d800-first-blush.html

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I used to have Phase One P30+ but traded to IQ 180.
I currently have Nikon D800 and love it. It is fast to use especially handholding. I can use with a very high ISO and there are lots of lenses to choose from. My favorite is 24mm and 50mm f/1.4. No tripod is required.
However, to be honest, although they are closed, it is not as good as P30+ in the mean of details and color saturation especially for big prints.
It's just my 2 cents.
Pramote

kdphotography

I really don't think it's possible to simply "switch" completely from one format to another format. But they sure make a great complement to each other.

I think having both a good DSLR and a MFDB is having the best of both worlds, and simply allows you the flexibility to use the best tool for the job.

ken

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will also point out in the coming weeks you will see tons of articles and comparisons against all the backs or maybe better said the 40 mpx where the file is of equal mpx and the D800 will be damn close and maybe exceed in some area's. If I was thinking a Pentax 645 or Leica S2 right now i would put my buy button hand and sit on it for a little bit and see what comes up but if your sitting here holding that level of gear in your hand don't sell it you made the investment your getting excellent results and you have your workflow going why rock the cradle. And frankly its better overall. You still can't forget bigger is better and that folks has not changed since they invented sex. I kid you all on that one but you get my point

tsjanik

I really don't think it's possible to simply "switch" completely from one format to another format. But they sure make a great complement to each other.

I think having both a good DSLR and a MFDB is having the best of both worlds, and simply allows you the flexibility to use the best tool for the job.

ken
I agree if you can afford two systems, but if limited to one system, consider the investment in lenses. The D800 has the latest sensor and appears to threaten the older (if two years is older) 40MP systems, but the Nikon lenses will always be limited to a 35mm-sized sensor. Larger sensors for MF systems may be prohibitively expensive today, but maybe not in a few years. The reasons to use MF and larger lenses haven’t changed from the film days.

Tom

Zerimar

Saw this thread and thought of a photo I saw earlier..

When it boils down to it each has their own advantage.. why I still have a 5d2 in addition to my H2/P45+ combo.. I'll grab the canon with the 85 f1.2 for low light, simple portraits, events, and fun work, and the medium format for anytime where I am shooting iso 50-100 with studio strobes. Having the 1/800 sync speed is a blessing, and I love having the longer lens compression with a wider fov (50 compression but as wide as a 35mm on my 5d is great for editorials)

If it isn't broken then why fix it? If you can make great images with what you have already then why change it up? If anything get it to compliment it as mentioned before.

dick

I've given up for a while on researching new technology as far as DSLR's because I've been happy with my Phase One P30+ with hasselblad body and lenses. However, today I just found out about the D800.
Why switch?

If you would like a lighter camera, get a Panasonic GH2 and use it in addition to the MF.