The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paris Street Photos (montmartre) - Personal Work

Hey, I haven't posted on here for a while so I figured I'd post some of the new series I just started. Normally shoot fashion, so I thought I'd try and do some more traditional and candid work showing the streets of Montmartre. C&C greatly appreciated.
ps: sorry there are so many - I couldn't choose :)

I like the two guys walking myself.
Me too - I like how it shows the contrast of two completely different classes of people, a business man and a painter. Both talking as if they are the same people; however, focus happened to be on the business man as if the business man will always somehow be slightly ahead (or at least in the eyes of society)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The hands convey movement which is nice and I do like the focus on the business man leads you in.

Lax Jought

I like the first photo, my favourite, great shot.

There's also some great lighting in some of the photos, you chose the right place and the right moment to catch some reflected light.

Last edited:
I like the first photo, my favourite, great shot.

There's also some great lighting in some of the photos, you chose the right place and the right moment to catch some reflected light.
No reflected light ;) We are a duo of photographers consisting of me and a creative director. He was walking around with a 7B2 with a twin flash and a mola lol. Can't steer that far away from my routes, figured if I did street photography I'd try and do it our way!

V

Vivek

No reflected light ;) We are a duo of photographers consisting of me and a creative director. He was walking around with a 7B2 with a twin flash and a mola lol. Can't steer that far away from my routes, figured if I did street photography I'd try and do it our way!
I have been looking and wondering about the light. That explains it well.

Something different. :)

Hosermage

#7 has me puzzled. There look to be some motion blurs from the woman in the middle (behind the person with a dog), and on the legs/feet of the couple walking by, and yet, the pigeon in flight is completely crisp. How is this possible?

#7 has me puzzled. There look to be some motion blurs from the woman in the middle (behind the person with a dog), and on the legs/feet of the couple walking by, and yet, the pigeon in flight is completely crisp. How is this possible?
All secrets cannot be told ;) This is what keeps my work different from others! But lets just say its not photoshop ;)

Lax Jought

AH!! That explains it. :thumbs:

AHHHH That explains it more!
Lol. All my work is very light intensive. The reason why I wanted to do this series to show to myself and to agencies here in Paris that my work can be done in the real world with regular people that don't even know they are having their picture taken ;)

2jbourret

If you think about it you'll realize that with a longer exposure + flash, moving subjects lit by the ambient light will be blurred, and those lit by flash will be sharp!

Really nice set, different!

Hosermage

Thanks, Jamie. I have zero experience with MF and kind of just stumbled on this thread :D Still can't wrap my head around it, though...

How long of an exposure are we talking about? I have an idea... is it like setting the camera on a tripod, then basically double or triple expose with strong flash on different subject so you're actually overlaying multiple shots into one?

2jbourret

David, I'd rather let the OP answer that, but I'd guess the exposure might have been in the neighborhood of 1/4 sec, and the flash burst was of course just a tiny fraction of that. With a small aperture and/ or low light, the flash can be balanced with the ambient, as was done here.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wow thats interesting use of location lighting . I know those locations well ..have had breakfast in that cafe maybe 6 times . The lighting in the faces looks very much like you caught a stream of available light .

I wish I had this much interest in my work here in Paris! Every agent that has looked at my photos has automatically went straight to thinking everything is photoshop, instead of taking the time to ask these sorts of questions :( . I think it will be a little more obvious what I do if you look at some of my fashion work.

and a gallery image :)

Last edited:

fotografz

Wow thats interesting use of location lighting . I know those locations well ..have had breakfast in that cafe maybe 6 times . The lighting in the faces looks very much like you caught a stream of available light .
+1.

"Street Photography" title led my mind to the usual "available light" scenario. I didn't realize that off-camera lighting was used at first ... until it was mentioned. Seemed like it was an available catch, either natural, or more likely from a source out-of-frame ... like reflected light.

Nice to see creative use of light.

Assistant must have had fun lugging a 7B2 all over the place :)

What Mola did you use? Diffused or direct?

-Marc