The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hartblei HCam-B1i - anyone have one?

gerald.d

Hi all -

I'm looking into the Hartblei HCam as an alternative to a "traditional" tech camera to use with my IQ180. I sold off most of my Canon gear to fund the move to MFDB (including the 17 and 24-II TS-E's), but still have the 45 and 90 TS-E's, and if the HCam does end up making sense for me, I'd be re-buying the 17 and 24.

I've read two detailed reviews for the B1 (Luminous Landscape and Brian Hirschfeld), but I can't find a review of the B1i, which I'm thinking would make far more sense to use with the IQ180. For those who aren't aware, the B1i doesn't have the motorised sliding back of the B1, and my intention would be to use it with live-view on the digital back.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has the B1i, and their experiences with it. Also, if people want to chime in with more general thoughts on using an HCam with the Canon TS-E's as an alternative to a tech camera, it would be great to add those to the discussion too.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald

for evaluating the Life view for landscape or other on the road work I´d ask you to try it intensely. If this will fill in your focusing and workflow needs without leaving you with drawbacks, then the B1i functions for you. Remember also that e.g. the 17mm TS-E does not have a filter thread to mount an ND Filter !!!

I think it is unlikely you will get much more answers from B1i users as these cameras we have sold until now were all used in Repro Setups, where the slider is not needed. We have also 2 customers which use it for a technical setup as measurement/control cameras . We are also evaluating full calibration for this.

Besides that the camera is identical in every feature, it just has no slider.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Last edited:

coulombic

Hi all -

I'm looking into the Hartblei HCam as an alternative to a "traditional" tech camera to use with my IQ180. I sold off most of my Canon gear to fund the move to MFDB (including the 17 and 24-II TS-E's), but still have the 45 and 90 TS-E's, and if the HCam does end up making sense for me, I'd be re-buying the 17 and 24.

I've read two detailed reviews for the B1 (Luminous Landscape and Brian Hirschfeld), but I can't find a review of the B1i, which I'm thinking would make far more sense to use with the IQ180. For those who aren't aware, the B1i doesn't have the motorised sliding back of the B1, and my intention would be to use it with live-view on the digital back.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has the B1i, and their experiences with it. Also, if people want to chime in with more general thoughts on using an HCam with the Canon TS-E's as an alternative to a tech camera, it would be great to add those to the discussion too.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Hi Gerald,

I actually have one. I use it with a Leaf Aptus-II 12. My favorite lens has quickly become the Canon 24mm TSE II. I have a fair amount of movement with the 24, but it requires some post to use each shifted frame. LCCs aren't as big of a deal, generally with the Canon lenses; however, when shifting, I do use them, as color-cast does occur.

The Canon 45mm and 90mm, as far as my knowledge, do not have large enough image circles for full-frame backs. I've tried the 45mm TSE on my Aptus-II 12, and there was an enormous amount of vignette. That said, Schneider makes excellent 90mm and something like a 45/50mm PC TS. I own the 90, and I dare say it is literally among the sharpest lenses I've ever used (and I own the venerable 300mm f/2.8 APO, for scale). If you can get your hands on one, the Zeiss 35mm f/3.5 PC is also extremely good on full-frame backs, with little vignette at full-shift.

To put it lightly, I really like the HCam.

Edit -- just realized you're asking about the B1i. I've no personal experience with this camera, and I have no clue as of yet what the difference is between the original B1 and the "i" model. Thus, feel free to disregard my sentiments.

Stefan Steib

Gabe

the B1i (for industrial) is identical to the normal B1 just without the slider.
The back is mounted directly ontop of the shutter.

then we have the B1v (for Viewcamera) which is a B1 with slider but instead of the Canon bajonett mount we have a 120x120mm large opening in the front where you can mount any viewcamera lenses starting from 60mm and up using a helicoid (e.g. Rodenstock or Alpa). We can put there adapter frames from Alpa, Arca,Sinar,Cambo, Linhof.... whatever you want

Both versions can also be combined to the B1iv

and - we do the worlds sharpest 40mm TS- the only one with inside focusing using the Carl Zeiss 4/40mm IF Distagon lenskit, the still unbeaten
2,8/80mm Planar TS and the 4/120mm Makro Planar TS.

about the post with the Canon TS-E´s, we now remove the plastic cover back of the 17 and 24mm and gain up to 5mm of movements without any vignette for the 24 and an additional 3mm all around for the 17mm (on an Aptus 12 or an IQ180)

regards
Stefan