I have been lurking on GetDPI for a few months now. I decided to register today to become part of the community and ask a few questions relating to my first foray into medium format digital capture.
A little background....
I have been shooting for decades, first 35mm film and 35mm digital since 1999. I am a Canon user, historically shooting with each generation of the 1Ds camera. I currently shoot with a 1Ds Mark III and plan to acquire the 1Dx when it becomes available. I shoot commercial, editorial and weddings. My website is TRANSPOSURE
I recently had the opportunity to use a current Mamiya 645DF + DM33 back + 110mm LS lens. I used the opportunity to do several very comprehensive comparisons with my current 1Ds Mark III kit. I devised tests for dynamic range, tonal quality (gradation) across surfaces that went from brightly lit to dark shadows, equalized resolution (dropping the same number of pixels/photosites on a subject) to test actual pixel quality. What I found was very interesting. The MF files had more dynamic ranges, as expected. But more interestingly, the MF files had a better tonal gradation from light to dark. Where the Canon would have more abrupt gradation, the MF had a much more pleasant gradation. That was the defining characteristic of the MF capture that stuck in my mind.
As much as I would love to jump into a 645DF (Phase or Mamiya) and an IQ back, I want to start small and get my feet wet. I want to have a limited expenditure and really see if this is a proper path forward for my work.
So, time for the questions.....
1. I have an opportunity to buy a Mamiya AFDII and Leaf Aptus 75 (33MP) for a very good price through a friend of mine. I realize both pieces are 1+ generations old, however, in order to get my feet wet, will this system work well with the latest version of Capture One (purchased pro version recently)?
2. Can the Leaf Aptus 75 be tethered to Capture One?
3. Will I be missing any functionality when tethered to C1 as compared to the DM33 kit?
4. What are the functional differences between the Mamiya AFDII and the Mamiya AFDIII and Mamiya DF?
5. I realize I will not be able to use leaf shutter lenses, so is my only hit regarding this limitation the 1/250 shutter speed, in lieu of the 1/1600 speed?
6. My intent is to use this with one or two lenses for products and headshots initially, to develop a solid workflow and then, if everything works well, potentially use it for fashion and commercial people photography. Do you see any limitations?
7. My biggest gripe with the 645DF was the (pardon the frankness) horribly limited autofocus system. I realize the DF AF was improved over the AFDIII and AFDII, but is the AFDII AF really bad?
8. I read somewhere there is a dongle required to use the A75 live view with C1. Is this true? If so, what is it and where do I get it?
9. Any other thoughts, comments, advice on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!!
10. Are there any highly recommended f/2.8 lenses in the 110-160mm range that are recommended for this setup?
I apologize for the lengthy nature of my first post, but I figured this seems to be a popular and informative forum for MFD. Since this foray represents only the tip of a very large and costly ongoing iceberg, I certainly don't want to be the Titanic! LOL
In all seriousness, I just want to get some answers from current MFD users so that I can make an informed decision.
Thank you in advance to all those that choose to reply!