The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO

Stefan Steib

Hi Steve

means Canon BP 915 ? The problem with these batteries is that none of them really have more than maybe just 2000 mAh. I can see this as I use my Dolgin loader and it shows me exactly how much capacity they have, no matter what the print on them states. All made in china.........

regards
Stefan

The battery for the Credo and for the IQ is the same.

Steve Hendrix

yaya

Yair

Will there be any provision with the dealerships to "cross trade/upgrade" from Phase to Leaf. Was almost ready to hit the button on an IQ!

Despite the Phase IQ having more bells and whistles the Leaf is actually a good proposition for me

Thanks
Graeme
Hi Graeme, upgrade paths from Phase One to Mamiya Leaf and from Mamiya Leaf to Phase One are very similar. Dealers already have the prices so you can contact any of our UK partners for a quote

f8orbust

You never really hear about the 'Canon look' or the 'Nikon look' or the 'Pentax look' or the 'Phase One look' or the 'Hasselblad look' or the 'Sinar look' ... but you do hear about the 'Leaf look' - kinda curious.

I think the look I would prefer is one where I see a nice mint IQ180 attached to my camera and $9k extra in the bank.

But that's just me :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You never really hear about the 'Canon look' or the 'Nikon look' or the 'Pentax look' or the 'Phase One look' or the 'Hasselblad look' or the 'Sinar look' ... but you do hear about the 'Leaf look' - kinda curious.

I think the look I would prefer is one where I see a nice mint IQ180 attached to my camera and $9k extra in the bank.

Well, I think you've answered your own question regarding whether the CREDO is for you or not. :facesmack:

FredBGG

Not Available
Why do Leaf and Phase One develop different backs?

Would it not be more logical to not compete and develop a single better less expensive product?

Maybe move on from the bayer array.

Maybe develop a better camera body sooner.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Actually you do hear about the Hasselblad/Phase/Sinar "look". Out of the box, there are differences between the files from each of these products, even when utilizing the same sensor, and there have been threads that refer to that over the years. Perhaps because generally speaking, the raw files from each product tend to be converted in proprietary software, making it more difficult to compare apples to apples, with unique software programs not as able to produce similar file results over multiple products, as in the case of Adobe conversions for Canon/Nikon.

Not to mention that there are far more opportunities to manipulate files in-camera with Canon/Nikon products, which leads to less consensus regarding what the native files actually look like. But I've also seen discussions regarding "Nikon color" and "Canon color". The size of medium format files may also lend themselves to a more advanced state of pixel peeping, where these subtle differences are clearer.

Steve Hendrix

Chris Giles

Phase One P25 looks like the 5D3 in natural light but leaf looks more like film.
I don't know what the newer backs are like but in this comparison below the Phase back looks more film like over the 5D3.

Phase One P25:

Hasselblad H1 + 80mm 2.8 + Phase one P25 back
(ISO200, 1/60, 2.8)

5D3:

5D3, 85L II, (ISO200, 1/60, 2.8)

If someone wants to give me an IQ180 plus $9000 in my bank, I'd be into that...Don't worry about which mount it is, I'll use the extra money to change it if I need to :ROTFL:

f8orbust

Well, I think you've answered your own question regarding whether the CREDO is for you or not. :facesmack:
It wasn't really about me or not, it was about the logic of driving (a new) one of these off the forecourt when there is an equivalent capture device with greater functionality available (used) for less.

In particular, if:

1. You're a traditional leaf user and want to stay in the system, I understand why you'd do this.

2. You want/need the 'leaf look' I understand that as well.

But beyond those reasons, why would you drop $39k on a Credo 80 when you can get a back with the same sensor and (really useful) additional functionality for $9k less, albeit ex-demo/used?

Anyone who does not fall into either (1) or (2) and is contemplating buying a Credo 80 - answers on a postcard please to the usual (IP) address.

Jim

yaya

It wasn't really about me or not, it was about the logic of driving (a new) one of these off the forecourt when there is an equivalent capture device with greater functionality available (used) for less.

In particular, if:

1. You're a traditional leaf user and want to stay in the system, I understand why you'd do this.

2. You want/need the 'leaf look' I understand that as well.

But beyond those reasons, why would you drop $39k on a Credo 80 when you can get a back with the same sensor and (really useful) additional functionality for $9k less, albeit ex-demo/used?

Anyone who does not fall into either (1) or (2) and is contemplating buying a Credo 80 - answers on a postcard please to the usual (IP) address.

Jim
The best answer I think is that if you are in the market for an 80MP solution, you have several options, starting with a used/ ex-demo Aptus-II 12 and ending with a new IQ180 with Value Added warranty, with the Credo seating nicely in the middle. So your budget/ needs/ wills can all have a product that meets them!

FredBGG

Not Available
It's a shiny glass panel that covers the rear of the back. Capacitive touch panels are always shiny
I hate glossy screens. Real pain with reflections. A semi gloss or luster like screen protector film would be a nice bundle item for those that don't like a "bling" screen.

Would be a small cost to add this and would make everyone happy.

Touch controls outside the image area are nice, but a bigger screen would have been nicer, maybe with touch controls on the sides.

FredBGG

Not Available
Price difference is pretty steep.

The Aptus 40mp goes for just under $15,000 while the Credo 40mp goes for over $19,000.

What improvements are there image quality wise?

yaya

Price difference is pretty steep.

The Aptus 40mp goes for just under $15,000 while the Credo 40mp goes for over $19,000.

What improvements are there image quality wise?
Once again, more options to suit different budgets and needs. If you're a catalogue house with 10 backs fitted to 10 Cambo Ultimas with Rollei e-shutters, you'll probably take the Aptus, tape the LCD covers with Black gaffer tape and use the remaining $40K to buy new Macs, new Eizo's or some lights.

If you're more of an outdoor/ untethered shooter who can benefit from the latest display technology, on board Live View, weather sealing, longer exposures, tighter 645DF integration etc. then you can go for the Credo 40, simples...

Image quality wise the Aptus-II 8 and the Credo 40 are very similar, with a slight advantage to the Credo at high iso and longer exposures (the Aptus-II 8 stops at 32 seconds)

Regarding the screen protectors, I've asked to source out some 3-in-1 packs: Shiny, matte and a special, iridium-mirrorised ones, they look cool on the iPhone!

I'm only joking of course, it's a good idea and we'll look into that although to be honest you can get cheap iPhone protectors for next to nothing and cut them as you like

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, if you want screen protectors then Screen Patronus are your go-to folks. They have them for the IQ series and I had them create custom sized protectors for the P25+ I had and which they now offer for all P+ backs.

ScreenPatronus, Screen protector - the difference is amazing.

If you have a template or dimensions for the CREDO they'll doubtless add it to their catalogue of available screen protectors. These work both for touch and non-touch screens. :thumbs: