The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 23mm HR Flare

Steve Hendrix

Some of our clients have reported that at times they have encountered flare (most often represented as a hot spot in the middle of the frame) while shooting with the Rodenstock 23mm HR Lens. Capture Integration has been able to duplicate this issue. Our findings conclude that this can result from light paths arriving from various directions. Light leak and internal reflectivity have been eliminated as sources for the effect through various steps of eliminating directional and ambient light.

In an incredible display of good timing, we tried utilizing the new Cambo Lens Shade to see if we could improve the situation. Indeed we found that we were able to. We found that the unique ability to asymmetrically compress and expand the lens shade is an essential factor in reducing the flare from the 23mm HR. Some samples are below - before and after versions of the fils as shot and dramatically enhanced to easily see the effect and then a crop of the before and after. There is also a capture of the angle of the lens shade that was used to eliminate the flare with the sun coming in at a one o'clock angle.

Steve Hendrix

rupho

Thanks for this
I am wondering how this shade compares to the LEE wide angle hood
I could not get it to work on the 23HR
Maybe the reason is that the Lee is a screw onto the lens which os good for rise and fall but possibly to close to the lens element so it's showing up in the frame. But how does the Cambo shade work with shift? Even the 23 can be shifted a bit
Grischa

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can put hood on first than CF filter and you have room to shift. They are revising it slightly too as I was there with Rene from Cambo and Steve and we talked about some revisions and such. But I have to say this works a charm, it was really bad in one sample and we corrected it with the hood and you really need a hood with this lens. Frankly I would not buy this lens without the hood myself.

archivue

i've been using the arca model for years, it improves image quality a lot !

especially with the 35 XL and the 90 HR !

less unnecessary light enter the lens, better is the micro contrast !

it's specially true with bright white sky and architecture.