The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need some help with SK 47mm Apo Dig XL

trailshooter

Hello All. My first post. Have been aware of this forum for a while but only recently discovered the wealth of info here on digital MF. Thank you for everything I've learned so far!

In January I purchased a Cambo WRS AE, a Leaf Aptus II-12 180mp back, and the SK 47 XL. Soon after I spent a week in Death Valley. (In fact, I was there when your group was there and had hoped to connect, but was too dang busy shooting!) That week I was very diligent about shooting LCC's with every scene. My usual LCC exposure was 2 stops over. At the time I did not have a CF. I do have one now but haven't had a chance to use it because the front threads of my lens were machined too small so the whole lens is now back at Schneider. Anyway, what I discovered when I got home was that I really idealized how much movement I could get away with on this lens. I took the IC very literally and as a result found the LCC correction in Capture One v6.3.4 to not be able to handle the lens cast well at all. Since then, as mentioned, I acquired a center filter and know that I have to dial back my movements for stitching.

From this forum I see that that the SK 47 seems to have mixed reviews with the Leaf 180mp. Mine seems sharp but I am worried that lens cast is going to continue kicking my butt. I'm considering trading for an HR 50. The weight is not an issue for me. But of course, this will be more $ out of my pocket.

Can anyone give me some concrete pointers on max shifts and LCC exposures with the SK 47 and whether stitching with it can ever be smooth? Also, how does the HR 50 perform? I don't want to trade one problem for another.

For reference, I'll eventually also end up with the HR 32 and I now have the SK120.

Thanks for the help.

D

trailshooter

BTW, tilt / shift is important to me. I have a Cambo tear sheet that shows the HR 50 available in TS, but I wasn't able to see that combination on their site. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes lens panel WTS-850. My guess looks to be over 7k but I never tried this lens nor have I seen anyone talk about it. I have the SK 60mm TS and its really really good and about a grand cheaper.

trailshooter

Guy, thanks for the input. I can confirm your price estimate is about right. I guess I might be the first to try out the HR 50.

Anyone else out there with any tips on the SK 47?

Thanks

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just remembered when I was in Atlanta my drug dealer had a 50HR but not in a TS maybe call Dave at CI and see if he or his staff might of shot it. Had I known I would have tested it for you.

2jbourret

Not sure if this will be of any help to you, but in testing an IQ180 recently with the sk47, I found a great degree of latitude for shifts, as illustrated in some diagrams I worked up. I'm now doing similar testing with a t/s version of the same lens, and will update the diagram to reflect single axis tilts soon. With the IQ, shifts of 12-15mm clean up really well with LCCs.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attac...00-iq-180-pros-cons-vs-iq160-image-circle.jpg

2jbourret

Btw, I've never used a CF on the 47, and have never felt there was a need for it. The sk35 is another story.

trailshooter

Guy,checked with CI. They no longer have one, unfortunately. Will have to ponder this.

Jamie, thanks for the info. When I get this lens back next week I'll put it through its paces again with the shift limits you mentioned.

dchew

You might also want to check this out:
43xl center filter
It is for the 43xl but probably similar results that you have seen with the 47. The center filter helps a bit, but not as much as I hoped. Thing is the color cast starts long before, and more dramatically, than light falloff.

Dave

G

gmerrell

I shoot the Cambo with the 47xl and a IQ180 back.
I get 15mm of shift with good clean LCC and no center filter.
This is one of my favorite lenses.
One of the reasons I chose this lens is because of the extra large image circle.

I see no need for the CF. The 43 xl is also an excellent lens.

Good luck

GM

trailshooter

All, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I wonder if I'm experiencing something abnormal with my lens because at 15mm of shift I definitely had a hard time with my LCC's. At this point when I get the lens back late next week I'll take a few more shots and post the corrected results to see if they look right to everyone. It would be a huge releif to find out I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Also make sure you are running the latest version of C1, or at least a fairly recent version. Improvements to the LCC routine were rapid after the first C1 releases which supported the IQ180 raw file.