The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gear Insurance

ZoranC

While going over my policies insurance agent informed me that due to recent changes homeowner/renter part would not be adequately covering my gear anymore.

Naturally this has me very concerned and I am now looking for gear specific insurance. Only thing is I don't know where to start so I figured this forum with high concentration of owners of very valuable gear would be a good place.

So, what you recommend to get and where? I am in US and am looking for best I can get (within reason) that would fully protect me, protect me both domestically and when traveling abroad, and protect me not just from theft but also anything else that might happen to it (lost, damaged, etc).

Thank you in advance!

I have my stuff insured with Hays, through the NPPA. It's great coverage. $500 deductible for damage, $1000 for loss/theft. email me for more details if you want josh(at)joshmerwin()com

etrump

The PPA has a small policy included with membership which can be expanded. It's a good policy and worth the money. In short you have to have a policy. I chose a commercial policy with my local agent just to simplify things.

dchew

Funny I just got a Hays flyer in the mail. I am going to check them out too.

Dave

S

Steven

when i first started out, i wasnt a homeowner, so i couldnt even entertain that route, not to mention, being young and always on my parents policies, it was hard to find something, since they wanted a history of insurance...

that led me to join PPA just for the insurance :)

within the last year they changed who they now use as their provider (and as was mentioned added something to their membership).

anyways, i didnt bother to move my insurance to the new provider, whoever that is, but kept mine with marsh affinity group.

shamefully, i cant remember many of the details of the top of my head, but its another name worth throwing out there :)

adhc

For commercial insurance I like Tom Pickard.

Covers gear owned and rented, as well as liability.

Around $1400 a year for pretty decent limits. (I've recently added workman's comp through them, which is additional.)

I really like them and they turn around insurance certificate requests very quickly.

TCP&Co.

If you aren't a commercial photographer, it may just be cheaper to add a personal articles policy to your homeowners?

Commercial covers you on "for hire" shots. But personal articles would probably be cheaper.

Good luck!

goesbang

If any of our Australian members have the same issue, I've attached the details of my insurer below. They have a policy specifically for photographers.My gear is covered worldwide and the only claim I've had so far was settled quickly and with little fuss. It's also nice that the policy wording is in plain English and not full of legal twaddle.
If any members from other countries could share I'm sure many would be grateful.

Jacqui Thomson is the contact at WSC

A wholly owned subsidiary of
WSC Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd
PO Box 869 Caringbah NSW 1495
Phone: 02-95256877
Fax: 02-95262667
Toll free: 1800 244 350
email: [email protected]
Web: WSC Insurance Brokers | Wisdom Security Competence