The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Manual Focus lenses and MFDB

felix5616

I have a mamiya 645AFD with a Phase one IQ160 back. At f11, shooting landscapes, are newer Phase one D and Schneider LS 45mm and 55 mm lenses any better in terms of edge sharpness, contrast and color rendition, than older N mamiya manual focus lenses(45 and 55mm)?

gerald.d

Hi Felix -

Whilst I can't answer your question directly, you might also want to be considering the Mamiya 50mm f/4 shift lens.

Regards,

Gerald.

Don Libby

On the surface I'd say the newer lenses meant for digital will be better than non-digital however I'd also caution that you'd need to try the non-digital lens first before dismissing them entirely.

Paul2660

I overlooked your request as needing information on the manual focus 55 and 45, sorry, all in info is about the AF versions, Mamiya. They are as cheap as the manual focus versions now or cheaper.

I can't speak to the Schneiders, but the 55mm AF Mamiya is a great lens, and often under-rated. No, it won't have the contrast that the newer Schneiders have but it's also a much older design. The 55mm at F11 is very sharp and would more than likely give the Schneider 55mm a run for it's money in sharpness. (I know others will disagree, and that's fair). The 55mm Mamiya will hold edge to edge on either the 180 or 160 as long as you are at F8 to F11. DOF is limited however and that one facet drove me crazy with the 55mm. With a DF body it's a great combination.

I never had a good copy of the 45mm AF and briefly owned the Phase One 45mm D lens and it was a good lens, but I still used the 55mm more. The 45mm Mamiya was a disappointment for me, never could get a good copy that held to the corners, however others have gotten them.

If the 55mm Schneider produces images like the Schneider Digitars (35mm or 60mm), then it's a touch call. I am still amazed daily at just how good these two lenses are, in both contrast, color and overall clarity.

Paul

Last edited: