The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you guys and gals like C1 Pro v4.5 so far?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Victor as my base sharpening with my P25 plus in C1 is 200 amount .3 for radius and 1 for threshold. Try it to see how you like it. But evaluate it in Cs3

gogopix

Subscriber
Guy
Thx for response
I am sure this old dog needs to open his eyes a bit more :D

Anyway, looks like the processing defaults make a fine improvement in image, but some of the workflow details are bizzare

Why the hell are there so may files sprinkled around? With 3.x i had a develops file
now I have crap (sorry) FILES with Capture One, Cache, this, and that ALL OVER!
the user shouldnt have to worry or wonder where his filesw are and these others just get in the way. What are they for, Lance??

Anyway, from a workfloew point of view, one wants to select changes, and the select for batch processing. In 3.x a DEVELOPS file was set up if you said to put with the source image
now you have to create or C1 creates something I dont want or it buries it in thenDOc&SETTINg>Programfiles>PhaseOne>CaptureONe>Image>Cache> credit...borring..secret...

Sorry got carried away again LOL but you get the point

CAN WE SIMPLIFY THE STORAGE OF PROCESSED FILES

and Yes I am yelling, because they are in Europe and won't hear unless I yell

:angel:

regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Tethered works too

Phase P25 plus and Phase body works fine with a 3 second from shot to preview. A little faster than before. Just a quick test but it seems to work with no issues at all. I am on 10.5 Leopard

Make that 2.5 seconds

Victor when Doug comes on he can explain that one

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
CAN WE SIMPLIFY THE STORAGE OF PROCESSED FILES
Uh, how much simpler do you want it??? All you need to do is select the output folder -- or any other location on your computer you want -- and can even have multiple versions of a single file and different output locations for those different versions of a single image by using "recipes".

:D,

arashm

ok
The skin colour control is very clever...
I think for anyone shooting beauty, this can become a very handy preset.
from right now on set, (straight capture so no re-touching just yet)
am

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Jack and Caronmetrictree
My issue is that once I launch the program I don't get a window to be able to navigate, I have to create a session just so I can have the window to navigate to other folders.
is it possible to run 4.1.2 and 4.5 on the same machine?
also second thing I've noticed, when the preview is set to fit in the middle window, does it look somewhat soft? once zoomed in they look fine.
thanks again to everyone
am
Whether it is possible or not... I recommend you completely trash/remove 4.1.2 prior to installing 4.5.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Victor,

Normally you start a session and it creates a folder for raws (default name of "Capture") and a folder for processed images (default name of "Output"). When you select a raw and push process it gets processed to the "Output" folder. If you want to BATCH process select more than one image and hold shift when you push "process".

You could manually create a subfolder in your captures folder for your output (then right click and "Set as Output Folder") but the way it organizes by default makes a lot of workflow sense to me. I don't like deep-nesting of folders.

I have a feeling you maybe are not using the process feature the way it is normally used. Why don't you give me a call if you're still confused and we'll figure it out together.

Personal Portfolio

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Easiest way to explain quickly is to correct the naming: it is not a "Skin Tone Corrector" it is a "Particular Color Identifier". It adjusts WB and Tint so that the thing you click becomes the color you want. It is identical to the WB tool except that instead of it assuming you want the thing you click to be pure gray you can tell it what you want the color to be of the thing you click.

The default suggestion is to use it to identify skin tones, but may be best used to keep consistency on a product or item of clothing. So if you're selling jeans then you can shoot the jeans in a controlled studio strobe with a gray card and save that color. Then go anywhere in any lighting situation with that pair of jeans, and just tell C1 (using the "skin tone tool") what is jean-blue and it will balance the image to make it right.

Much much more to come in the days ahead. Please post any and all questions, just have a little bit of patience as we try to get to everyone.

Personal Portfolio

woodyspedden

The first two definitely look oversharpened to me. V4.5 to my eyes is by far the best. Since I am a Hassy shooter I don't use C1 for raw conversion (although I love it for M8 images). However the main reason for me to use Phocus is to get the Digital Adjustment Corrections (DAC). Beyond that the two converters both appear to do a good job. Phocus is feature shy compared to C4.5 Pro but I expect most of those features will be added in version 1.1. We'll see.

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber
Uh, how much simpler do you want it??? All you need to do is select the output folder -- or any other location on your computer you want -- and can even have multiple versions of a single file and different output locations for those different versions of a single image by using "recipes".

:D,
How much simpler?

What is in 3.x.

You check a box that says; "process to same folder as source"

C1 then creates a foldeer called 'Develops" in the folder with the raw. Keeps everything together

nothing new needs be created

now we will have to go out, find the folder (that may be 5 levels deep in a master storage disk, as I use), create a folder, then go back mout and select it.

for every raw folder you will need to do this. Remember, files of 45+ ate 250MB. I break into 100 image folders, otherwise there are big cache and handling issues everytime you opens eg PS Bridge.

It should be simple enough to bring back

I've been doing this for years, since before Phase even HAD a portable back.

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor,

Normally you start a session and it creates a folder for raws (default name of "Capture") and a folder for processed images (default name of "Output"). When you select a raw and push process it gets processed to the "Output" folder. If you want to BATCH process select more than one image and hold shift when you push "process".

You could manually create a subfolder in your captures folder for your output (then right click and "Set as Output Folder") but the way it organizes by default makes a lot of workflow sense to me. I don't like deep-nesting of folders.

I have a feeling you maybe are not using the process feature the way it is normally used. Why don't you give me a call if you're still confused and we'll figure it out together.

Personal Portfolio
Thanks doug I may take you p on it.

BTW, I almost NEVER use capture; I use portable so I have CF's with folders that I put into shoot folder to archive.
I then prune in C1, as well as develop. (why develop trashed files, though I actual archive all)
the culled folder is then my folder of record. I process using the setting that creates a "DEVELOPS" folder in the raw; all nicely together.

If I make jpgs, then I can sort on type and take from develops into a folder by subject.

When improved (exp/WB etc), I have all my raw, in the state I want, and I just hit the first icon in the process window;

all the selected files are then processed, I can see them in a list, I can see 100% completion , and I DO NOT have to do a damn thing more 3.7.x creates the DEVELOPS folder and even watches for duplicates, creating a version. It even default names for me so it is easy to search (though I use Bridge keywords and ACDSEE to view)

I am sure many people have many workflows, but why this convenient feature was removed eludes me.

(and please don't say I have to create some damn 'recipe' or something)

Victor

S

Shelby Lewis

The default suggestion is to use it to identify skin tones, but may be best used to keep consistency on a product or item of clothing. So if you're selling jeans then you can shoot the jeans in a controlled studio strobe with a gray card and save that color. Then go anywhere in any lighting situation with that pair of jeans, and just tell C1 (using the "skin tone tool") what is jean-blue and it will balance the image to make it right.
For wedding shooters, this tool might be the best thing since sliced bread. In some mixed lighting shots,when ALL you dream about is for the skin tones to be natural, this could be VERY handy. Pick a skin tone from a "good" lighting situation and apply it in the mixed lighting shot. I've been dreaming about a similar tool in ps for a while.

Too bad Pro runs so SLOW on my dual g5.

Bummer.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Basically have to work in sessions now, even if it is the default one. - Doug gave me a tip on creating a smart folder, putting it on the desktop, and then using the spotlight tool in the smart folder to create a search for ".col45" files, which are all your sessions. That way you are not looking constantly for your sessions or resorting to the limited "open recents".

I passed on to Doug today, my first big complaint on something that I was waiting for in this release but is not here yet. I really want the old ability for 3.7.9 to set a default profile to use based on my camera. I get tired of changing Leica M8 to the UV/IR profile and the P30+ from flash to outdoor. It was promised, so hopefully it will be coming soon.

Ray

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One Problem
I have 4.5 installed
Windows XP, Service Pack 2 (I know it requires Service Pack 3)

All works fine EXCEPT there is no Histogram. I have the Histogram Window/Tab but there is no data/graphic.

I uninstalled previous version of 4 before installing 4.5.

Any Suggestions?

C

carbonmetrictree

The selective color adjustments are pretty important in my workflow, I'm very impressed with the smoothness slider for each color. I'm glad they included this as well, I will never use the skin tone adjustments since I do not photograph people.

Dale Allyn

I passed on to Doug today, my first big complaint on something that I was waiting for in this release but is not here yet. I really want the old ability for 3.7.9 to set a default profile to use based on my camera. I get tired of changing Leica M8 to the UV/IR profile and the P30+ from flash to outdoor. It was promised, so hopefully it will be coming soon.

Ray
Hi Ray,

Are you saying that we still must change the default profile to Daylight (or a custom profile) from Flash? Ugh. I was of the understanding that that was to be available in 4.5. How about default color temp? Can one set a default to 5500 K, for example?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I'm presently overseas and likely will not download the app until I return. And I must decide if I'll upgrade my Mac at this time to better accommodate 4.5. (Maybe the processing "recipes" Jack mentioned will solve these setting issues.) For me, the workflow for processing just a couple of hundred image files shot in different settings (landscape type stuff) has been brutal with v4.1 compared with using Bridge/ACR for my small format work – let alone the number of files that come from a week-long (or longer) trip. Hopefully v4.5 has useful control over presets available.

Cheers,

Dale

Guy Mancuso

Okay watch this test. This is with my Mamiya 35mm lens with lens corrections on for the full image. CA, Purple fringing, CORNER SHARPNESS

1st image image bottom right corner Corner sharpness off

2nd image Corner sharpness ON. This is at default and i can go a little more if i want but it does sharpen my corners on the 35mm lens

3rd Image Full Frame corrections on