The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you guys and gals like C1 Pro v4.5 so far?

C

carbonmetrictree

I'll be downloading it shortly, any thoughts and/or opinions about the update?

J

jmvdigital

Just activated my spanking new copy! Though I'll probably have to keep my head low with this anyway, as I've never used C1 before at all.

Edit: Scratch that, I can comment. The default background, "pinstripe", pulsated strangely on my MacBook Pro screen. Switching to the solid background smoothed things out.

arashm

umm not to go OT
but is 4.5 session only?
when I launch it the only way I can open a window is by creating a new session.
Is there a way to set it up so it's by browsing only, as it was in 4.1.2?
thank you for any help in advance!

PS should we start a post just for C1 4.5 questions only?
am

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is working either way for me... Browser based by clicking the folder icon and navigating to a specific folder, or session based if you start a session.

Have to say, the ability to set up multiple processing "recipies" is very cool :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Mamiya 28mm with all the lens corrections applied to it for distortion, CA, Purple fringing, Light falloff. For some reason corner sharpness is greyed out with the 28mm. Looking into that with Doug.

Anyway dead to nuts perfect. BTW reality is this is a 21mm in 35mm Full frame

Also a plug for MF Dynamic range. In reality those shadows on anything but MF would be black. I did not even open them up. Pretty amazing coming from the intense Sun here

Guy Mancuso

Also images appear sharper in C1 4.5 when processed without anything bad going on. I also noticed color is just about dead on with skin tones. Still playing with that but i seem to be getting better skin tones.

C

carbonmetrictree

Am- That's a great idea, let's use this thread to throw in our questions and opinions for C1 4.5. The update seems subtle, but it surely is significant compared to the previous version.

Thanks for the images, Guy! I'll post some of my own up as soon as I finish processing my photographs from San Francisco.

So far, it looks like the images are a lot smoother in my opinion in terms of noise in shadow areas. I still have a bit of trouble in highlight areas in interior shots with C1, I've been using ACR and Lightroom for blown out windows because of the sharper adjustment curve in the highlights.

arashm

Thanks Jack and Caronmetrictree
My issue is that once I launch the program I don't get a window to be able to navigate, I have to create a session just so I can have the window to navigate to other folders.
is it possible to run 4.1.2 and 4.5 on the same machine?
also second thing I've noticed, when the preview is set to fit in the middle window, does it look somewhat soft? once zoomed in they look fine.
thanks again to everyone
am

Guy Mancuso

Same here on the softness issue. I tagged Doug from CI on this one right away. Hopefully today he can give some more thought. Here is what i noticed in the fit position it is softer but the 100 percent position it is exactly like Cs3.

Doug: Expected behavior!

100% is in fact the processed image. Scaled images are dependent on what method the choose to scale down using and is also drawing from the proxies.

Guy: Question

It is in the fit position . The 100 percent position matches exactly but the full image it is softer in C1 viewing compared to Cs3 viewing
On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Guy Mancuso wrote:

Doug i noticed one thing in C1 images look softer than when you process out to CS3. Am I messing a setting.I have sharpen tagged in the processor tab

gogopix

Subscriber
ok, so it may take time for an old dog to pick up new tricks. I haven't checked the OUTPUT files to see if the 4.5 engine is better than the 3.7.7, but so far, quite a few

WHERE IS? questions

Where is;
1.the button to say put processed in a 'develops' folder at the raw location (it is what I mostly used)
2.The highlighting of the icon when the mouse goes over, so you know, what you are going to do?
3.The auto buttons in WB and exposure that take care of shadows, HLTS exposure etc all at once?
A4.n AUTO ofr the color?
5.The batch process method? (why not a 'process all?" i didnt like having to highlite in 3.7.7 to get all images processed
6.The list of processed images?

Also default to 'job name' rather than filename? Maybe others like it, but if you are going to enter a job name the you can select that (or if it sees an entry it should automatically change the selection to 'jab name' Otherwise, often I label images elsewhere and i want C1 to keep

I DO like:
1.the clarity (local contrast enhancement??)
2.The 'process with no sharpening button' (likely use ALL the time with 65+ :)
3. the shadows slider works nicely for lifting dark areas
4.that is loads and exits faster, but does it save the raw changes??

Ah well, I didn't use version 4, and so far I have not seen enough in pro to want to change
UNLESS the image file quality is better. I will be running some tests.....

regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

ok, so it may take time for an old dog to pick up new tricks. I haven't checked the OUTPUT files to see if the 4.5 engine is better than the 3.7.7, but so far, quite a few

WHERE IS? questions

Where is;
1.the button to say put processed in a 'develops' folder at the raw location (it is what I mostly used)
2.The highlighting of the icon when the mouse goes over, so you know, what you are going to do?
3.The auto buttons in WB and exposure that take care of shadows, HLTS exposure etc all at once?
A4.n AUTO ofr the color?
5.The batch process method? (why not a 'process all?" i didnt like having to highlite in 3.7.7 to get all images processed
6.The list of processed images?

Also default to 'job name' rather than filename? Maybe others like it, but if you are going to enter a job name the you can select that (or if it sees an entry it should automatically change the selection to 'jab name' Otherwise, often I label images elsewhere and i want C1 to keep

I DO like:
1.the clarity (local contrast enhancement??)
2.The 'process with no sharpening button' (likely use ALL the time with 65+ :)
3. the shadows slider works nicely for lifting dark areas
4.that is loads and exits faster, but does it save the raw changes??

Ah well, I didn't use version 4, and so far I have not seen enough in pro to want to change
UNLESS the image file quality is better. I will be running some tests.....

regards
Victor

Victor tough to do this in writing but first make sure you move the left column over a little . It was hidden from me when I loaded you should see 12 icons across. If not move the left column over. Okay the processing tab is number 11 icon

2 . Look for a orange triangle on the top right. Also in preferences you can setup highlight and shadow control by the numbers . So I set 250 for highlight for instance.

3. Icon number 3 look at WB and there is a little A same with exposure and high dynamic range

4. Not sure what you mean there

5.Have not played with batch yet

6. Should be in the processing tab 11 or 12 icon

Still working on stuff also

Guy Mancuso

None so far Robert. I think a big key was wiping your system from old C1 stuff first. i completely wiped both systems off before installing. There is program files in about 4 different places on Macs. I did post a link on this somewhere on the forum, maybe image processing. Follow that than maybe reload

woodyspedden

Phase recommends you trash 4.1 before using 4.5 Pro. Don't know if any of these issues are related to having both installed but it is worth trashing 4.1 to see

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber
ok
here are three 100% crops
c3.8 with 34 on sharpening output the default (no WB exp etc same for all)
c.7.7 with 130 sharp for match with 130 default (will try no sharpening, but actually guys no sharpening at 100% given the bayer matrix says noting-digital backs are meant to sharpen as part of processing the matrix. only FULL images, eg at 25% would not need sharpening as each pixels has RGBG.)
finally 4.5 with 130

victor

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
I will say the sharpening default on 4.5 is the most natural looking even though it SOUNDS more than the 3.xx versions

BTW here is the full 4.5
this was alpa/schneider 35mm digitar P45+ shot BTW!

Victor

Last edited: