The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dedicated B&W cameras or backs

S

Sinuhe

The rumour that Leica may launch a dedicated B&W camera (drool, yummy :)) begs the question why this has not been done before, and in the case of the Phase One P451 Achromatic, how successful this has been.

As a B&W shooter, it would make sense to have a dedicated back or camera - but maybe it's just not economic sense...?

Thanks for any insight, S:)

Shashin

I believe the Phase One back may already be out of production as I cannot find it on their site. Actually, for landscape photography, a dedicated back does not make a lot of sense. You would not have the benefit of mixing channels during conversion. The increase in sensitivity might be a benefit if you shoot at night. The possible increase in resolution is insignificant. Economically, a monochrome camera would be very expensive as demand would be low.

kdphotography

I think CI has the Achromatic MFDB also last I spoke with Dave in Carmel. The Achromatic+ is still on the Phase One website: Camera systems and image software

I think the Infra Red B&W option is pretty neat too----I know the DM33 and Leaf Aptus II 33 has the option, but there was also talk about being able to convert other MFDBs as well. I know it has been done with a P45+

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Achromatic back is distributed (in fact developed for) Bear Images.

I agree that there are some benefits from a pure B&W back in so far as there is no Bayer array and so a slight increase in resolution. Also the Achromatic is sensitive beyond visible light which would add some creative options with extra sensitivities in those regions.

As mentioned, I think that the biggest downside to a pure B&W back is that your tonal rendering is pretty much controlled via optical filters at capture time vs the ability to do this at any time in post production.

Although not strictly b&w, there was also an IR Leaf back available through Capture Integration which could shoot both IR and colour images with a special IR cut lens filter.

Shashin

MFD that use Kodak sensors are also sensitive to near IR. I don't know the specs for Dalsa sensors, but I believe only the red pixels transmit IR where all RGB pixels transmit IR on a Kodak sensor. A Bayer array does not have to impact wavelengths outside visible. The filters can be designed to high high transmittance at those wavelengths.

Analog6

Here's a link to the Achromatic+ is a 39 megapixel medium format digital camera back. I blogged about this when it was first announced in September 2010