The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD question

G

ganak

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on a question that can't seem to get a straight answer on. I've recently fallen for my Mamiya AFD and film again and I want to buy a 120mm Macro for it but I'm not sure which one? Will the D lens work with my camera and automatically stop down or can I only use the older non D AF lens? Does the 16 bit protocol on the D make it incompatible with my camera? Has anyone used the 120 D on an AFD?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

kdphotography

Your limitation is not being able to use the newer Schneider LS lenses. You should be fine using the 120mm Macro on the Mamiya AFD--- D or non-D.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
These bodies:
- Mamiya AFD1, AFD2, and AFD3
- Phase One AF, DF

All accept these lenses with automatic stop down:
- Phase One D lenses
- Mamiya AF lenses
- Mamiya D lenses

The DF body also accepts Schneider LS lenses.

Older lenses and third party lenses (Hassy 200 and 500 series lens and others) can be used on any of the above bodies but with limitations (requires mechanical stop down, metering is spot metering only and is only accurate wide open, no transmission of metadata, no lens profiles).

I don't know who you were asking that couldn't give you a straight answer. But you're always welcome to call me (office and cell are below). This is easy stuff.

You may also want to use google to search this forum for similar questions or simply read through the last few hundred subject titles (lots of great info for an AFD shooter - much of which you wouldn't even know to ask about).

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=site:forum.getdpi.com+mamiya+lens+compatible&safe=active