The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacing the WRS lens bumpers.

Don Libby

I (think) remembering seeing a post where someone removed the bumpers on a WDS/WRS lens panel replacing them with a rod of some type.

I had to remove the bumpers on my 72mm as they got in the way of the new Cambo compendium hood. Without them it works as it should however I'm also thinking I'd like to try the single rods screwed in at least on the top corner.

Hope this make sense to at least the person who has done this. I removed the bumpers yesterday with a great deal of effort. # of the 4 screws were so over torque that I ended up cutting the bumpers off not something I'd do to a new lens however this one is close to 4-years old.

And on another note - can one (meaning me) buy the lens plate itself from Cambo? Just thinking resale if I ever decide to sell it sometime in the next 20-years....

Don

Don Libby

Many thanks to Stephen as this was exactly what I had in mind.

So - John - want to share your secret?

Don

A PM is being sent to John....

jlm

Workshop Member
what you see are extensions for the tilt/swing adjusters since the knobs on the stock rods interfere with the HPF ring, and even then the hpf ring needed to have it's OD reduced.

Don: maybe i could modify your bumpers?

Don Libby

what you see are extensions for the tilt/swing adjusters since the knobs on the stock rods interfere with the HPF ring, and even then the hpf ring needed to have it's OD reduced.

Don: maybe i could modify your bumpers?
Thanks again for the swift response. A return PM has been sent.

Don

gazwas

Don, out of interest what do the bumpers do apart from getting in he way? No other manufacturer put these on their lens mounts and none appear more prone to problems so is there something unusual in the Cambo mount that needs protecting?

Don Libby

Gareth, I'm not sure myself.

I remember looking at them 3-years ago and thinking I'd take them off but never got around to it. Ended up using them has handles to pick them up from the case and until I replaced my grips I used them more to make certain I had a good grasp of the WRS. It's one of those things that you question then move on.

I will say that based on the difficulty in getting the bumpers off the 72 the other will remain. I've always had one screw that was loose and I kept tightening it however when it came time to remove the bumpers I found the other 3-had been over torqued and the heads were screwed up. Ended up taking a dremel and cutting them off with no ill effect to the lens or the plate. This isn't something I'd want to do if the lens were new however I've had this lens since I first picked up the WRS.

I've been in touch with John and he's willing to mill a new set of bumpers however I need to stop. step back and rethink the entire thing. Do I really need the bumpers? No I don't. Do I want to use the new hood? Oh hell yes. Will I miss not having the bumpers? Not if it means I get to use the hood.

I've had some questions using the new hood and tilt. I can't answer that as I don't have any lenses with tilt. My main concern it movements and so far it seems to be okay.

Don

gazwas

Gareth, I'm not sure myself.
Good to know its not just me then! ;)

Apart from looking cool, I really don't see a single reason to have them replaced on your 72.

John's replacement bumpers in that photo look very nice but I would have thought the most delicate point that possibly needs more rigidity was furthest from the camera body but those stop well short of the front of the lens. Those wouldn't stop bumps to the front lens element (at least on the Rodenstocks) and potential damaged copal shutters.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't think those are replacement bumpers on John's camera. I think those are extended controls for the tilt and swing of the lens. The ALPA focus rings make it impossible to use the original short tilt/swing adjusters.

--Matt

Don Libby

You beat me to it Matt and you're correct they are extended control for the movement. I wondered about using something similar as a bumb stop.

The more I rethink this the more I believe I can live without the bumpers on my 72. I'm actually rethinking and will see what the retrofit to the tilt will cost me.

Don Libby

Thank you for the link. I had actually seen this when I began researching the idea of getting a possible replacement.

I think the placement is lens dependant and looking at the images on Cambo you loose the bumpers on the tilt lens board. I've been trying to find a good excuse to retrofit the 72 and this seems just about as good as any.

Don