The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cheap Contax 645 kit on eBay

A

AnthonyR

I wouldn't say it's cheap now, but perhaps when you posted. It has been bid up to it's value with 11 minutes left. If it goes higher, and it probably will, it's a win for the seller. 2650 GBP (4 579.73)

A

AnthonyR

And that's what it sold for... You just had to do the math of what you could actually, maybe, get for it. I came up with $4500 give or take 75 pounds.

Those items were well used, all of them and the back is worth maybe $350 if you could actually sell it.

Only two of the bodies had prisms. No film backs and again, very well used. So = 1500 at the very top end. I actually think that's a little high but gave the benefit. 140 lens $800 tops, 35mm $1200 tops, 55 $700 tops. Two grips for $450 max.

Brings us to 4650 (back is pretty worthless) so I think 4500 is spot on considering.

EDIT: All my calculations are using US $ so no 4500 Euro, no way.

carstenw

I just got shafted then :) I picked up a Contax 645 with waist-level finder, film back, and 80/2 for 950 Euro, a 120/4 Macro for 1200 Euro and a 35/3.5 for 1100 Euro, plus a bit for shipping and import duty on the lenses. These prices all seemed really low compared to whatever else I could find out there, but maybe the rest aren't selling...

gogopix

Subscriber
sounds like you got a good deal.
I noticed condition seems to drive; I paid $1500 a few years ago for a new body and was very happy to do it. A used body with WLF under 1000 euro would seem fine today, for both buyer and seller.

The 'float' seems pretty constant; remember there are likely many 'old NEW STOCK items out there.

anyway, enough that Contax users needn't worry

:)

Regards
Victor

A

AnthonyR

Meh. Maybe a little high on the body, back and WLF, but not bad if it's all in great shape. Too much for the 120 perhaps but that is sometimes hard to come by and really a stellar lens. 35mm price is pretty standard. I've seen them go for less, but not that many. I had one for $1200 (US), but changed my mind in the end.

That's a very good point about what things are SELLING for. Tons of auctions end without being sold because the seller's asking too much. Tons of Contax stuff. Even here, on this site, with that 75S for sale. What's it worth? vs what will it sell for vs what's it really worth if no one is going to buy it for $xxxx.xx

A

AnthonyR

BTW, I recently sold my Contax kit plus a 140 and a polaroid back for $2200 and felt fine about it. I advertised it here for $2500. Sold on ebay.

carstenw

Yeah, I probably overpaid on the body, but in fact, I picked that one because I wanted the waist-level finder, and there wasn't another to be found on eBay, except one for $400. For that price, I preferred to buy this body with the finder included, and the prism separately, for much less. The 120mm macro and 35mm are both in as-new condition, really. The body has slight signs of use, but is in very good condition. I don't like buying beaters.

I saw your kit, Anthony, as you know, and nearly bought it, but it was just out there a tad early for me, and I ended up choosing the 120mm macro rather than the 140mm.

Where I am losing the skin of my teeth is on the extras. Hoods are especially expensive, but I have a complete set for the three lenses now. The 13mm extension tube was also pricy.

Does anyone know where I can get an original strap?

carstenw

@$%^$%^&

I wonder if there are any nice aftermarket straps for this camera. This is nuts. I will look around a bit.

carstenw

Victor, $39 *each*. There are two in a pair, and if you try to buy them, you will see that you have to specify the number you want...