The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs

T

thsinar

FYI:

Sinar has reduced the recommended enduser price of the following Sinarbacks and Sinar Hy6 Camera Systems, as per now and until end if December 2008:

A. Sinarbacks eMotion & eVolution

1. Sinarback eMotion 54 LV (22 MPx)

New Price Euro 6'037.- (old Euro 8'524.-)

2. Sinarback eMotion 75 LV (33 Mpx)

New price Euro 16'778.- (old price Euro 21'939.-)

3. Sinarback eVolution 75 H (33 Mpx)

New price Euro 16'778.- (old price Euro 21'939.-)

B. Sinar Hy6 Camera Systems

1. Sinar Hy6-e54

New Price Euro 11'372.- (old price Euro 14'018.-)

2. Sinar Hy6-e54r (with revolving adapter)

New Price Euro 12'128.- (old price Euro 14'872.-)

3. Sinar Hy6-e75

New price Euro 17'500.- (old price Euro 20'671.-)

4. Sinar Hy6-e75r (with revolving adapter)

New price Euro 17'805.- (old price Euro 22'500.-)

5. Sinar Hy6-v75

New price Euro 17'500.- (old price Euro 24'329.-)

Please contact your local distributor for more details.

Best regards,
Thierry

carstenw

Wow, tempting! What happens after December though? I doubt I will be able to pick up a 54 LV in that time-frame. Are there refurbished units too?

T

thsinar

Dear Carsten,

I doubt there will be any price increase after December 2008.

Refurbished or second-hand units are handled through our distributors.

Best regards,
Thierry

Wow, tempting! What happens after December though? I doubt I will be able to pick up a 54 LV in that time-frame. Are there refurbished units too?

Jeff Turner

Thierry:

These prices are really great!!! Does the Sinar Hy6 camera system price also include the "standard" 80 mm lens?

This is looking very tempting:

$24,082 USD....as of today.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Jeff

Paratom

Hi Thierry,
I am surprized by the price difference between the eMotion 54 and the 75.
Besides 22 vs 33 MP - are there any other essential differences?

Could you also comment on difference between the dalsa backs and the 65 back (Kodak).
How much "ISO-advantage" would the 65 offer compared to the 54 and the 75?
I unedrstand different pixel count and smaller sensor, bigger display, Micro lenses, probably faster.
But if we talk about pure IQ, would the 54 sensor have any disadvantages vs the 65(again-besides MP)?
Thanks, Thomas

Rethmeier

I must say that I can't blame Sinar.

They are just trying to stay competitive with the others.

Hasselblad started it by dropping their bodies and backs 40%.

Now we have to see what Leaf will do.

However it is a bummer for people that recently purchased an outfit.

Regards,

Rethmeier

BTW, I wasn't referring to myself!

I didn't purchase my Hy6/75LV to sell 5 years later with a profit.
It's just a tool of the trade and a bloody good one too!
Cheers,
Willem.

Don Libby

Finally someone has pointed out the obvious! No matter what, these are just parts of our tool box. Okay a major one but a tool nevertheless.

don

T

thsinar

Dear Jeff,

Yes, the Sinar Hy6 camera system kits do all include the new Schneider 80mm AFD, as well as the WLF.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry:

These prices are really great!!! Does the Sinar Hy6 camera system price also include the "standard" 80 mm lens?

This is looking very tempting:

$24,082 USD....as of today.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Jeff

T

thsinar

Dear Thomas,

It is always difficult, beside pixel count, to compare the IQ of different backs. One thing is sure, the 65 goes higher (and with higher IQ) in ISO than the eMotion 54 LV (limited to ISO 400).
The other difference between these 2 backs are the electronics and the shooting speed, and the type of files generated: I remind here that the 65 (Sinarback eSprit 65) is the very first digital back to have "on-board" processing and generating directly DNGs, JPGs, RAWs or a combination of it.
That alone makes a big difference between these 2 generation of backs.

Concerning the general IQ, I believe that the eMotion 54 produces outstanding data and images: I refer here to some users posting their images on this forum on a regular basis, among others, Graham (foto-z). Those users can certainly better speak about their experiences with this back.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
I am surprized by the price difference between the eMotion 54 and the 75.
Besides 22 vs 33 MP - are there any other essential differences?

Could you also comment on difference between the dalsa backs and the 65 back (Kodak).
How much "ISO-advantage" would the 65 offer compared to the 54 and the 75?
I unedrstand different pixel count and smaller sensor, bigger display, Micro lenses, probably faster.
But if we talk about pure IQ, would the 54 sensor have any disadvantages vs the 65(again-besides MP)?
Thanks, Thomas

David K

Workshop Member
Good to see Sinar responding to the realities of the market place. For those of us who paid a bit more than these new prices (which includes me) let me suggest that it's in our interest for the manufacturer of the back we've chosen to remain in business and prosper. I can live with the debate of whether my Contax 645 is "dead or alive" but I really, really don't want to be having that discussion about my Sinar back :)

carstenw

Thierry,

After the price drops, I am seriously considering getting a 54LV rather than the Kodak Pro I was previously considering, but I am not very familiar with the Sinar series of backs. Is there somewhere I can go to read about:

1) The nomenclature.
- I read somewhere that 54 means (roughly) 5000x4000.
- 54 vs. 54M vs. 54MC vs. 54LV vs. 54R vs. 54H
(ignore the fact that some of these don't exist, I just want to understand the naming.)

2) The performance/specs. The current backs are on the site, but not the old ones.

3) Reviews. I would like to compare with Phase One P25 etc.

I am looking for a back for my Contax 645. Initially I will be using it for dusk-architecture shots, and possibly some product-style studio shots. I will surely test it for portraits as well...

carstenw

Thierry,

I have another question: I want to buy a digital back, but in fact I don't want any of the extras that the dealer network offers. I am not a pro, don't know a lot about digital MF equipment, and cannot at this point ask intelligent questions. But, I am a fanatical photo hobbyist, and I want to learn.

What I really want is to buy the equipment, and read the documentation, maybe buy an an extra book or two, read them, and then start using it, asking questions on forums like this. I cannot stand dealers like Calumet, because they are incredibly snobby, and give you bad service if you are not pro, and don't already know what you are doing. In my experience, most fancy dealers are like that. Capture Integration and a couple of others might be the exception here, but I am in Berlin, not the States. What I really want is to go to your website, find the items I want, drop them in a shopping cart, and check out.

Why don't you do this? You would just need to have a forum where I could ask questions, and some decent documentation, and that would be it!

I would say that for me, this is probably the primary reason why I am not already using digital MF equipment. The whole system is just way too complicated, and I want simplicity and transparency.

David K

Workshop Member
Carsten,
I'll let Thierry respond for himself but, for whatever it's worth, here's a few thoughts I have on whether shooting MF digital is complicated. My experience is that it can be almost as simple as a point and shoot, certainly as simple as shooting with one of the 35mm DSLR's while at the same time offering you the opportunity to learn and grow as a photographer with almost unlimited horizons. As far as the manufacturer selling direct from their website, that might sound appealing to you, but there are many of us that appreciate the support we get from knowledgeable dealers. If you are making the investment in MF you're entitled to some support and hand holding. Guy has expressed this on many occasions. My experience with Sinar is that, indeed, they are quite responsive to the end user's needs when there is a problem... but I don't think they are set up to do some of the handholding. I've been through my learning curve with MF and have found this forum and it's members have a wealth of knowledge and a great willingness to share it. Bottom line... you're already in the right place, you just need to realize it :)

Graham Mitchell

3) Reviews. I would like to compare with Phase One P25 etc.
I have posted many samples, even a huge layered Photoshop file with a stack of the same image at different ISOs. Use the search and you should find it.

By the way, there is only one eMotion54 and it has live view. Sometimes people call it the e54 and sometimes the e54LV.

I am looking for a back for my Contax 645. Initially I will be using it for dusk-architecture shots, and possibly some product-style studio shots. I will surely test it for portraits as well...
It will be great at those applications. I shot this tonight with the e54:

Graham Mitchell

What I really want is to go to your website, find the items I want, drop them in a shopping cart, and check out.
The problem there is many people need the feeling of security from a dealer, and want someone to spend time with them. Others can just unwrap and box themselves and start using it. If Sinar sold more cheaply online, it would undermine the dealer network. There's no great solution to this.

Btw, there are cheap and quick flights between Berlin and Tallinn. You are welcome to come and try the e54 out here for yourself if there is nowhere to do so in Berlin, although you would need to use my Rollei as i don't have a Contax adapter plate.