The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm C1 Pro Processing Special trick

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I am only going to share this with my members so this is a exclusive Guy Mancuso genius moment. :ROTFL: i should get paid for this from Phase.

Okay if you have the 28mm mamiya lens or getting one Phase One was going to make the corners sharper through magic and they have done it but with the Mamiya 35mm lens and have not done the Mamiya 28mm lens YET. If you notice you bring in the 28mm lens and in C1 pro the lens correction tab the CORNER SHARPNESS is greyed out. Well first my bitch , I bought this lens knowing the was coming because it tends to be slightly soft in the corners and not having it there on release let's just say i was less than F............. happy. :wtf:

Well okay now my genius moment. So how do i do a work around. I thought about this and was playing with a Mamiya 35mm image. And the 35mm has the corner sharpness available for it and it works very nicely i may add, nice job Phase but your not off my hook yet. LOL

So what i did was this . I selected a 35mm image and than in the lens correction tab ( pay attention here) 5 icons over looks like a eye drop . Okay I than with a 35mm image in preview selected the lens drop down and behold the Sekor 35mm AF lens is there. Select that. Now all the check marks light up on Purple fringing, Ca, distortion, CORNER SHARPNESS and light falloff. Okay now UNCLICK everything except the corner sharpness box . So now the only thing checked is the corner sharpness, okay now push the slider all the way right at 120 percent and stop. Now with it just like this go back up to the lens correction main bar there is a drop down and all sorts of lenses are there ignore them and see the add preset. Select that and a dialogue box will come up name it mamya 28mm sharper or anything you want. Now you will have a preset for sharpening only the corner sharpness.

Now go ahead and find a 28mm lens shot you have .Make your exposure changes and all that than go to the lens correction tab . Here is what to do now go back to the Lens pull down and now you will see the Sekor 28mm lens , select that and all the check marks will light up again EXCEPT the CORNER Sharpness will not light up because they have not done it . So now after you made any changes or not to the other settings you would be ready to process , Don't. Now go back up to the main bar lens correction and select that nice preset you made Mamiya 28mm sharper from the 35mm lens, so now select that preset and magic. Your 28mm corners just got sharper. I know genius comes to mind but let's keep the applause down please. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Now folks you maybe thinking . Hmmm i may be able to use this with another lens , why not I say. Try it. The trick here in all this was I only kept the corner sharpness preset from the 35mm and nothing else. This way when i select the 28mm image and do the lens corrections first it does all the corrections that Phase put in as defaults. You should do this first than add the preset you made because it will only affect the corner sharpness not the distortion and such which you just did selecting the 28mm and you don't want to change that part just add the corner sharpness. Cool

Okay since I am right here let me show the final result of the bottom left crops so I don't confuse anyone with the following images.

Okay without the preset added for sharpening is the first image than second image with the sharpness preset

Guy Mancuso

Now if you watch very carefully you will see at least the distortion correction in the fireplace which has barrel or looks like it is bulging a little. i am not lined up perfectly for this shot but that is okay.

1st Image no lens correction at all. Out of the box

2nd image lens correction applied but not the sharpness preset

3rd image lens correction applied and added the sharpness preset. Maybe hard to tell Full image but it is there

Guy Mancuso

If you notice the second image the fireplace has less bulge. You will see this effect more with a shot closer up and you can also adjust this in C1 pro. Pretty cool features. i do accept donations. LOL

Bottom line I figured out a way to do what Phase did not do YET, not perfect but it seems to work. maybe this will give them a idea to make this for the 28mm automatically.

But it gives the 28mm users a option to use and others a chance to use this idea on another lens also.

Don Libby

Sneaky – very good – but sneaky all the same. :thumbs:

I happen to like sneaky a lot.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

don

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Don seems to be working pretty good. Now I can go back to being dumber than a shovel. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy - a cunning trick! I was taking the shots out of C1 into LR and then using the local area adjustment brush set to sharpen to deal with the corners but I have to say that for critical exhibition prints it still isn't enough on most shots and cropping is the only route. SO I'll take a good look at your method!

Best

Tim