The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Cast Correction with C1 4.5

Hi All:

Just installed C1 4 Pro (after upgrading to Leopard, why doesn't airport work?) and the Lens Cast Correction is working strangely. If I have 6 captures, and the last one is the LCC, I choose Analyze from the LCC menu in the Lens Correction tab and it will create the profile and name it using the file name, but it is only available in the menu to be applied to files that come AFTER the LCC file in the thumbnail list. In other words it appears to be required to shoot the LCC first because you cannot apply it to previous files. Am I doing something wrong here? And if you rename it with a different name it does not show up at all in the list except wen you select the LCC file itself. If you pick another file the LCC profile is not in the list. I checked the manual, quickly, and I do not see anything about LCC. It worked easily in C1 4, but not Pro?

FromJapan

Jeffrey,

Did you manage to get LCC to work in C1 4? I used C1 4 in DB mode, and asked Ulf why LCC was not enabled. He told me that it was not implemented yet, and that I should continue to use 3.7. I have not yet upgraded to 4.5.

Cheers,
Kumar

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This sounds like a question for Doug --- I have not tried it yet, but it shouldn't matter a hoot what LCC file you want to apply to any image anywhere on your system...

Kumar, LCC is active in C1 4 Pro (4.5).

FromJapan

This sounds like a question for Doug --- I have not tried it yet, but it shouldn't matter a hoot what LCC file you want to apply to any image anywhere on your system...

Kumar, LCC is active in C1 4 Pro (4.5).
I don't know if they've changed the implementation. With the Eyelike backs, it had to be done before every shot. It couldn't be done later, after the shoot.

I know that LCC is active in C1 4.5. I was responding to Jeffrey saying "It worked easily in C1 4, but not Pro?" It wasn't available in 4.1.2, though the LCC field was there.

Cheers,
Kumar

Spoke too soon!! Testing tethered capture and the same thing happens. If I shoot an image and then an LCC file, I cannot apply the LCC profile to the previous captures. It simply is not in the list. Also, even with Next Capture Adjustments set to Copy From Last, the LCC is applied in name but you need to reselect it from the list for it take effect.

I can't seem to remove previous LCC profiles from my list. These were tests from earlier versions of 4. I removed all of the files as directed by P1 in order to delete all copies of previous versions of C1 4. Even when I use spotlight to find the file names it can't. Any thoughts there?

How can this be so not ready for prime time?

carstenw

Slightly off topic, does anyone feel like writing a quick summary of the whys and hows of LCC usage?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Slightly off topic, does anyone feel like writing a quick summary of the whys and hows of LCC usage?
Problem: Some very short lenses or shifted lenses can impart a color shift or lens cast across digital sensors giving erratic color.

Solution: You shoot an LCC (Lens Cast Correction) frame for the lens/camera/shift combo using a translucent white LCC filter over the lens along with the normal image. The LCC frame will be a grayish gradient with the color cast across it. In post, you go to the LCC panel, click on the LCC image and hit "Analyze," which then builds a LCC correction profile -- basically this is a color inversion profile to neutralize the color cast that you can save with a name. You then go to the actual image and apply the LCC correction you just created. Violla, color cast gone.

Cheers,

H

Howard Cubell

Problem: Some very short lenses or shifted lenses can impart a color shift or lens cast across digital sensors giving erratic color.

Solution: You shoot an LCC (Lens Cast Correction) frame for the lens/camera/shift combo using a translucent white LCC filter over the lens along with the normal image. The LCC frame will be a grayish gradient with the color cast across it. In post, you go to the LCC panel, click on the LCC image and hit "Analyze," which then builds a LCC correction profile -- basically this is a color inversion profile to neutralize the color cast that you can save with a name. You then go to the actual image and apply the LCC correction you just created. Violla, color cast gone.

Cheers,
If only I had such a capability for dealing with lens flare!