The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Transitions Visualizer - Lens Equivalency Made Easy

Godfrey

Announcing "Visualizer"
Digital Transitions is pleased to announce a public beta ...

Unique Features
- Free and Does Not Require Download. Other tools (e.g. iPhone Apps) require download to computer
- Does not require any 3rd Party Apps. Other tools require applications like Excel to open.
- Medium/Large Format Friendly. Includes names of digital backs rather than sensor sizes (e.g. "36mm x 48mm") which are confusing to those new to MFDB.
- Easy to Link to. Questions can be answered on forums simply by linking to this web app.

Successfully Tested On
- Chrome 18.0 / OSX 10.7.3
- Safari 5.1 / OSX 10.7.3
- Firefox 11.0 / OSX 10.7.3
- iPhone 4s / iOS 5.1.1

Failed Testing On
- iPad 1

Not Yet Tested On
- iPad 2 or iPad 3
- iPhone 3, 3g, 4
- Android
- Any browser on Windows
Works fine in Safari 6.0.5 on OS X "Mountain Lion".
Also in Safari on iOS 6.1.3 on iPad mini and iPad 2.

Not sure if "does not require download" is really an advantage. It's great if I'm in a WiFi connected zone, but if I'm a landscape photographer in the field there is a great likelihood that I wouldn't have WiFi or cellular data available.

Of course it does require an external app to run ... a web browser of some kind. Safari comes with OS X and iOS. Sorry for the nit pick. ;-)

I'm also not sure about calling out sensor format by product names. I'd like the option to see both a product name and the sensor format.

It's an interesting tool, if something that you're going to use a couple of times and then forget about. I like your implementation. By and large, though, I think most users have some specific number of lenses in their MF kit that they'll be using because they either don't want to or cannot afford to change them ... so what they're "equivalent" to is of minor importance other than the once in a while 'what if' experiment.

I used my yahoo.com email address*in the registration as I have no interest in collecting more spam. I maintain the yahoo.com account purely as a spam catcher: every so often I just go there, select all, and delete.

G

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Works fine in Safari 6.0.5 on OS X "Mountain Lion".
Also in Safari on iOS 6.1.3 on iPad mini and iPad 2.

Not sure if "does not require download" is really an advantage. It's great if I'm in a WiFi connected zone, but if I'm a landscape photographer in the field there is a great likelihood that I wouldn't have WiFi or cellular data available.

Of course it does require an external app to run ... a web browser of some kind. Safari comes with OS X and iOS. Sorry for the nit pick. ;-)

I'm also not sure about calling out sensor format by product names. I'd like the option to see both a product name and the sensor format.

It's an interesting tool, if something that you're going to use a couple of times and then forget about. I like your implementation. By and large, though, I think most users have some specific number of lenses in their MF kit that they'll be using because they either don't want to or cannot afford to change them ... so what they're "equivalent" to is of minor importance other than the once in a while 'what if' experiment.

I used my yahoo.com email address*in the registration as I have no interest in collecting more spam. I maintain the yahoo.com account purely as a spam catcher: every so often I just go there, select all, and delete.
I think you used the link at the start of this thread and not the new version here:
www.digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-visualizers

gerald.d

What would be really great would be if the two tools could somehow be combined into one.

I'd love to be able to select two lenses, for example the Rodie 23 and 32, and be able to see the image circles on an actual photo, with the sensor overlaid with a toggle for either lens.

Make sense?

What I'm trying to get at, is to be able to visualize how a lens such as the 23, that can't really be shifted on FF, compares to the 32, which - whist having a narrower FoV - may actually be a more appropriate lens for the job because it can be shifted.

Regards,

Gerald.

AndyPtak

Another vote for a downloadable app Doug. I'd pay for it.

The most use I would have is out on location whre Wifi is not available. If I had it on location, I'd use it a lot!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What would be really great would be if the two tools could somehow be combined into one.

I'd love to be able to select two lenses, for example the Rodie 23 and 32, and be able to see the image circles on an actual photo, with the sensor overlaid with a toggle for either lens.

Make sense?

What I'm trying to get at, is to be able to visualize how a lens such as the 23, that can't really be shifted on FF, compares to the 32, which - whist having a narrower FoV - may actually be a more appropriate lens for the job because it can be shifted.

Regards,

Gerald.
I have the same hope. Hopefully something I can get done in the next quarter or two. It would be a great tool for our tech camera customers.

PeterL

It's a nice tool, easy to use. I would however, like to be able to specify the shift if possible. If this can be done already, I've missed it :-(. Thanks for making this available.

Cheers, -Peter

Pemihan

You can move the "sensor image" around, it then shows the shift/rise/fall.

It's a nice tool, easy to use. I would however, like to be able to specify the shift if possible. If this can be done already, I've missed it :-(. Thanks for making this available.

Cheers, -Peter

Thanks Doug, a very nice little tool! Hope it can be downloaded for use in the field at the more remote part of the world. I'll pay for it.

Good work!
Philip

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Great tools! A horizon/crosshair would be nice in the image circle tool. Standard setup for me is a level camera (to get upright rendered trees/buildings) and then shift to place the horizon in the image. Portrait orientation would be nice to have too. edit: found portrait orientation :)

For example being able to shift down so much that the horizon is on the top 1/3 when in portrait orientation is something I like to be possible.
This was very easy to add. So I've already done it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also added the remaining lenses and corrected the errant "double" instance of the 32HR.

https://www.digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-visualizers

wryphotography

wow this is fantastic. As someone thats coming from 6x17 i love that you can do 617 vs MFD. The only thing I want to see is how much shift with a certain MFD lens I need to do to equal my 90mm or 105mm on my Fuji.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
wow this is fantastic. As someone thats coming from 6x17 i love that you can do 617 vs MFD. The only thing I want to see is how much shift with a certain MFD lens I need to do to equal my 90mm or 105mm on my Fuji.
I hope to combine both tools together so that you can see the result of different lenses and stitching combinations. It will not be easy however and I don't expect to complete it anytime soon.

In the meanwhile if you're working with us (Digital Transitions) as a client I can create such charts/sample-stitches on a case-by-case basis.

Ken_R

Thanks Doug. The tools you created helped me a LOT in choosing the appropriate lens/back combination for me. The world of "Technical" Medium Format Digital is somewhat confusing at first and this just helps in making sense of it all. Very cool.