The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H1/H2 to H4X Upgrade

Analog6

Anyone thinking of making this upgrade?

Or has anyone done it?

I am looking into accessing som of my super (I'm 50, after all!) & going for this. Price here in Oz $AUD6,500.00

Also, will my HV90x viewfinder be good enough or do I need to upgrade it too? I hope to get a later back - P45 or 65 - in the future so would my current 90x be OK?

Zerimar

I thought of it myself (I have a H2 with P45+) and tried the H4x body with my back and lens (50-110) and honestly it just seems like something Hasselblad wants you to spend more money on. The only true benefits are the true focus which is nice, but I only see the advantage of using it with a 100 f2.2 or something wide open to assure focus. The AF assist light is much better than the old IR one on the H2 body though.

Also unrelated to the subject, how do you like the 150? I am thinking about adding a 100 f2.2, 150 f3.2, or 120 macro to my lineup (only the 50-110 currently) and it will be the last lens I can afford for a while.

Analog6

Thanks Rick. I haven't used it a lot, but it is superb, IMHO. I tend to get round with the 50-110 on most of the time then switch to the 210 for distant stuff. But I have been very happy with the shots taken with it. I'm on my portable at the moment but when I get back on the other computer I'll find a shot taken with it and post here.

JCVG

At first when i've heard about the H4x I was excited as I have an H1 that I use for film and H4D40 for my digital work. Until I realize that if I buy it I wouldn't be able to use my H digital back on it and I'll still need to carry 2 bodies if I want to shoot film and digital. I will survive. ;)

The main difference between the H1/H2 and H4x are the true focus indeed, faster AF and you can use the 28mm, 35-90 zoom and the HTS on it.

You can download the technical sheet of the H4x here:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3082754/uk_h4x_datasheet_v3a-.pdf

So the H4x is more for owners of the aging H1/H2 who want to keep their lenses and third party backs. They can now upgrade to a new body if the old one is about to die and keep their lenses.

JCVG

Also unrelated to the subject, how do you like the 150? I am thinking about adding a 100 f2.2, 150 f3.2, or 120 macro to my lineup (only the 50-110 currently) and it will be the last lens I can afford for a while.
I have the 100, 120 macro and 150 and the 150 is the one i use the most for portrait. The 120 is very good for beauty shots and close up but a bit slow to my taste.

As you have the 50-110, I guess the 150mm or maybe the 210mm are better for you. On my back (H4D40, crop sensor) the 150 is perfect but if you have a bigger sensor maybe you should try the 210.

Try them both before to buy. :angel:

Zerimar

I think it will be the 150 then!

I had someone offer me a 150 locally. Its the 150 without the lens hood with around 2k clicks (shot film with it on a H1 and its not the N version) for $1400. I think that's a fair price considering it's a lot cheaper than the used market for the 100 and 120..