The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.

malmac

Watched this interview and was quite impressed.

Appreciated the corporate memory and even though I don't own a H system he certainly improved my appreciation of the Hasselblad brand.

Mal

fotografz

Thanks Keith!

Well, that should put to rest the myth that Fuji makes the H camera body ... even the Fuji version available in Japan is made in Sweden.

That video must be a bit old since what he promised regarding DAC corrections for Zeiss V lenses is now a reality. Apparently, it was also before the H4D with True Focus APL in answer to the AF multi-point question.

Of note: when I had a complete V system in parallel with a complete H system, I ran practical tests of all the V and H lenses against one another by using the CFV adapter on the same camera in the same consistent conditions, and only a few of the V lenses held their own with the H series ... most notably the CFE40-IF outperformed the HC35 (IMO, the one HC lens in dire need of updating), and that was about it. The Zeiss 120/4 Macro wasn't up to the HC120/4 nor could it go to 1:1 without extension tubes like the H version ... and that was before the new HC120/4-II, which is optically even better. That the H lenses are AF, and have a higher sync speed was and remains the deciding factor for my use. I sold all the V gear.

In some cases, one accepts the performance of certain Zeiss lenses for their character. Notably the 110/2FE ...which has no leaf shutter and cannot be used on the H camera or the 500 series V cameras, but is highly prized for adapted use on other focal plane cameras

-Marc

gazwas

You must have to be a Hasselblad shooter to appreciate this video.

Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know.

This doesn't change any feeling that I had about the H system and feel it a wasted opportunity. :thumbdown:

Quentin_Bargate

Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know...
I agree. Ignorant interviewer, but remarkable patience from Ove.

Stefan Steib

I had already written this to LL - so here a copy and paste:

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
And will the Zeiss versions be better if Hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?..............

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the Leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity.......

Stefan Steib

Funny - I just took a look at the poster of this Video, his name is aardvarkey- which is a real funny name:
if you take a look at Wikipedia- it´s an ancient african animal that has disappeared - or - a firefox extension with the following description:
" It can be used for cleaning up a page prior to printing it (by removing and isolating elements), for making the page more readable, and (most appreciated by web developers), for analyzing the structure of a page......"
+ "key"= you can riddle yourself...........?
- he became a youtube member that same day,it´s his first and only posting, his age is mentioned with 19 ........ ?????

If love this - Interesting ! :thumbup:

regards
Stefan

fotografz

I had already written this to LL - so here a copy and paste:

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
And will the Zeiss versions be better if Hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?..............

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the Leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity.......
The date of the interview may say May 10th, but was it this year? Or was it simply re-released this may 10?

The content seems to argue that it was an earlier interview. Hasselblad now does have DAC corrections for Zeiss lenses, so he wouldn't have been able to answer your Zeiss DAC question then anyway as it didn't exist yet ... "they were working on it". True focus has been introduced to accommodate off-center focus questions, the resolution of LCD on the H4Ds has been doubled, and newer versions of key HC lenses have been released to accommodate the performance of the H4D/60 and H4D/200 Multi-Shot cameras.

As to whether the Zeiss lenses get better than H versions after DAC, in my experience it is closer for a few select Zeiss optics, but for the most part, no. Notably the new HC-50-II outperforms the CFi50FLE even with DAC because the Zeiss is comparibly soft in the corners and as he said DAC has nothing to do with sharpness. The HC120 Macro is also better especially at close focusing range. There is no Zeiss equivalent to the HC100/2.2 which at f/3.5 outperforms the CFE/100/3.5 with or without DAC. Much of this becomes more apparent when working with the H4D/60 and H4D/200 Multi-shot than it does with less demanding backs.

RE: DAC being an exclusive Phocus funtion as you imply, that is no longer true ... Hasselblad provided Adobe the Hasselblad True Color embedded profile and all of the Hasselblad DAC H and V lenses corrections are available in Lightroom.

Whether distance data is transferred via the Leica H to S adapter remains to be seen. Since it is transferred with S lenses, I see no reason it would not be part of the exif data accompanying each file shot with an H lens. I have a large photo of the H to S adapter, and it looks like all of the contact pins are in place to communicated the data from the H lens. Until I get it in hand, I can't be definitive on the subject.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know.
++1

Actually if I would have been interviewed by that person, not sure what I would have done to this ...... of an interviewer :mad:

KeithL

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?

Surely not!

peterv

That sums it up real quick and very accurate too :) Mr. Bengston is obviously a very polite person.
Bad questions, bad interview technique, sound is awful and don't get me started about the light and the background :wtf:

We see this happen more and more, lots of would be reporters and a camera with a video-button...Why a serious company like Hasselblad does not check the credentials of who's actually making the video, I don't know. Somehow there still seems to be a lot of blind faith in people with video cams.

Anyway, this is happening all over the internet. Making a video is so much more than pushing a video-button...

Swissblad

+1

Ditto to all above - interesting points raised by Ove - but terrible "interviewer".... hope it is not typical of the Antipodes.

gazwas

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?

Surely not!
Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over ones none Blad basher head and presumably Blad bashers heads also.... :confused:

I still stand by my original comment that unless you're on the cusp of purchasing or has just purchased and still in the honeymoon period with an H camera, there is very little of interest in this video and is a waisted opportunity.

I mean whats the point of making anything visual and than not including the products as they are being discussed. I could produce better on my iPhone. :sleep006:

KeithL

Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over
I still stand by my original comment that unless you're on the cusp of purchasing or has just purchased and still in the honeymoon period with an H camera, there is very little of interest in this video and is a waisted opportunity.
Hmm, let me think...perhaps it was aimed at those on the cusp of purchasing or still in the honeymoon period with an H camera?

Or even more likely, to correct common misconceptions?

gazwas

Hmm, let me think...perhaps it was aimed at those on the cusp of purchasing or still in the honeymoon period with an H camera?

Or even more likely, to correct common misconceptions?
If on the cusp of making a decision, I'd say the decision was made.......?

If you've sold the system, why try and convince new buyers of anything.....?

Correcting common misconceptions that the camera and lenses are designed by Fuji is pretty common knowledge and as to where its all built, does that matter....?

KeithL

Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over
They're your words.

gazwas

They're your words.
There it goes again..... straight over the head...... :rolleyes:

Either I've been in the dark too long today or your making a point I just don't get?

Oh well, life's too short!

*EDIT* Just seen you're posts on LL. So this is just a scheme to increase youtube hits for a colleague and HB, how dull. :sleep006: