The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad answers Leica on lens adapter release

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
HB needs some serious help with their public relations . HB is of course the loser in this development because more existing HB users (including the rental houses) can now utilize an S2 body without the switching costs of a lens system.

HB should get some benefit out of additional lens sales for the focal lengths not available in the Leica S system ..but the big winner here will be the customer (for once) . Now you can migrate to the S2 or remain in a dual system and share legacy HB lenses . How great is that !

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man what a botched up comment from Hassy . Glad to see Leica just work around them and got on with it. Love to see how this all works out . Okay S2 folks I want images and tests shown. You got your marching orders. LOL

Ben Rubinstein

Just saw the price on that adaptor. I shall now scream several four naughty words to reflect its four digit price. Yeoooooooooooooooooooooooow!

FredBGG

Not Available
"We are delighted with Leica's decision to launch an adapter that provides their customers with a compelling opportunity to embrace the acknowledged ultimate superiority of our medium format H System lenses," says Dr. Larry Hansen, Hasselblad chairman and CEO

"Every Hasselblad lens has been designed and produced to the most exacting and meticulous standards and discerning photographers worldwide are well aware that the image quality of any camera is only as good as the lens that forms the image."
He Hemmmm ... isn't that Fuji lenses?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jorgen

Thanks for sharing this image . I have never seen that before .
It shows , how good and sexy that camera can look if all in black and not in the ugly , dirty HASSELBLAD grey .

V

Vivek

Just saw the price on that adaptor. I shall now scream several four naughty words to reflect its four digit price. Yeoooooooooooooooooooooooow!
Not that expensive at all. Check out the price of the CONRUS adapter (Sony NEX to EOS lenses with partial compatibility).

However, I find it it interesting that Leica made this out to be a big deal- how they worked very hard to crack the codes, etc while the CONRUS is a one man operation (AFAIK)! :rolleyes:

fotografz

Not that expensive at all. Check out the price of the CONRUS adapter (Sony NEX to EOS lenses with partial compatibility).

However, I find it it interesting that Leica made this out to be a big deal- how they worked very hard to crack the codes, etc while the CONRUS is a one man operation (AFAIK)! :rolleyes:
Given the size of Leica, it was probably a one man operation also :)

Plus, the H to S is a fully functional adapter, including leaf-shutter ... not just "partial".

-Marc

V

Vivek

The Conrus adaptor is under half the price isn't it?
I think 1/3rd the price of the Leica adapter. However, the adapter housing is a modification of a mass produced adapter of certain quality. Also, we are dealing with ~1/4th image areas.

Given the size of Leica, it was probably a one man operation also :)

Plus, the H to S is a fully functional adapter, including leaf-shutter ... not just "partial".

-Marc
Probably, Marc.

Stuart Richardson

If anything, I would think that the adapter launch shows Leica's confidence in their own lenses -- they don't fear that they would prevent the sale of their own lenses for the S2, even if someone can buy H series lenses and use them with an adapter. And they shouldn't fear it...the S lenses are outstanding, and I certainly would not put any money on the H lenses coming out on top in any comparison apart from price or one where the shooting is at medium to small aperture. But they will be very useful in rounding out the system for a shooter who needs things that the S system does not have yet...like a zoom, a 1:1 macro, a 50mm, 100mm and 300mm lens etc, not to mention a leaf shutter in all focal lengths immediately.

Plus, Leica probably figures that most people who are going to buy an S2 have already done so, and already have some lenses. Now they are more likely just to use the H lenses to round out the system. And maybe they pick up a few more sales from people with a bunch of H lenses who otherwise would not have been interested. Maybe they hope they will win some converts as well...try their lenses on the S2, and maybe fall for it.

I would like to think that Leica made the S to Hasselblad autofocus adapter just for users like me who already own an S2 and may want more focal length options in lenses. However, I think the real market segment Leica is going for with the adapter is the rental houses that already have lots of Hasselblad H lenses. The adapter makes the S2 more marketable to those rental houses. Of course this is just my opinion and may have nothing to do with reality.

fotografz

Not sure that anyone using this stuff in the real world are all that concerned about the comparison angle. It just opens up a different set of optical characteristics without all the operational compromises associated with "adapted" lenses. Thus the excitement regarding the use of the HC100/2.2.

The more practical aspect for S2 owners is the ability to rent AF/LS/FP lenses that are readily available almost anywhere. In effect, the H to S adapter not only fills out the focal length gaps, it is the backup to the S lens system ... which eliminates a huge barrier for professional applications (or enthusiasts that travel). Even IF Leica were to flesh out the lens line-up, I seriously doubt the whole lens system would be carried by as many rental houses as the H lenses are.

In that respect, the "relatively expensive" H to S adapter is cheap "system" insurance. I knew about the adapter before the official announcement, and ordered it immediately. IF I still shot out of town, or to the degree I once did commercial work locally prior to semi-retirement, I probably would have done so even IF I didn't have an array of H lenses.

-Marc

fotografz

Now if they could only come out with a C-lens adapter... I might actually consider an S2.
So would others that I know. That Contax 55mm and 80/2 would be sweet, as would the 120/4 Macro and 350 APO. Plus the bellows, and ... and ...

Get enough of you Contax shooters together, and maybe Conrus would make some for you?

Ahh, those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ... then they did :thumbdown:

-Marc

Geoff

The more practical aspect for S2 owners is the ability to rent AF/LS/FP lenses that are readily available almost anywhere. In effect, the H to S adapter not only fills out the focal length gaps, it is the backup to the S lens system ... which eliminates a huge barrier for professional applications (or enthusiasts that travel). Even IF Leica were to flesh out the lens line-up, I seriously doubt the whole lens system would be carried by as many rental houses as the H lenses are.
-Marc
True, but too politely?

For a professional system the Leica lens lineup, while superb, is quite limited. The adapter is (IMHO) a minimum requirement, not just backup.

yaya

S2, H adapter, HTS 1.5, HC28mm and a bloke wearing a Mamiya Leaf t-shirt (that would be me).

The rubber bellows vignette fairly quickly when you shift or tilt so this combo doesn't really work but it was fun to play with!

JorisV

The adapter is (IMHO) a minimum requirement, not just backup.
It is also a smart move from Leica imho in getting people on board that do not necessarily immediately expect a more complete lineup. The assumption is that they will soon announce the S3 and when they do there will be a significant amount of S2 bodies that end up on the used market. They will most likely still be fairly expensive but the fact that you can use Hasselblad HC lenses which are quite plentiful on the used market makes it easier to take the plunge. Good strategic thinking.