The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kapture Group - One Shot Cable for Phase backs

C

carbonmetrictree

Do you guys think I could integrate this with the ALPA special cable release grip? Might be a great back up solution for waking on the back.

Digitalcameraman

Do you guys think I could integrate this with the ALPA special cable release grip? Might be a great back up solution for waking on the back.

Andrew:

This should work fine. I have used many other standard cable releases with that One Shot from Kapture Group. he small box that contains the wake up switch(mircro switch) use a standard cable release. This unit ships with an off the shelf cable release.

I would suggest that you contact Keith Huges. He owns Kapture Group www.kapturegroup.com. He also designs all of the products there so he could tell you if there should be any reason what so ever that it does not work.
I have had him modify many things over the years and he is great to work with.

They also make a special 1 Shot solution with a shorter cable for using on CamboWide and other technical camera systems. I would also suggest getting that one because of the system you are using.

Chris Snipes
Image Production
Phase One Resller

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Andrew:

This should work fine. I have used many other standard cable releases with that One Shot from Kapture Group. he small box that contains the wake up switch(mircro switch) use a standard cable release. This unit ships with an off the shelf cable release.

I would suggest that you contact Keith Huges. He owns Kapture Group www.kapturegroup.com. He also designs all of the products there so he could tell you if there should be any reason what so ever that it does not work.
I have had him modify many things over the years and he is great to work with.

They also make a special 1 Shot solution with a shorter cable for using on CamboWide and other technical camera systems. I would also suggest getting that one because of the system you are using.

Chris Snipes
Image Production
Phase One Resller

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]
Apparently Chris has some magical cable releases sitting on his shelf. In our experience most off the shelf releases don't have nearly enough throw and/or have a slightly different thread.

We wanted to do this exact project but came up empty on the exact implementation. By all means if you are successful let us know!

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yes Doug and I spent some time on this one. The cable release that is included with the ALPA handle and Cambo Wide Compact handle do not offer enough throw to pass the micro switch and then hit the extension cable to trip the shutter release on the lens

Also the cable thread on the ALPA cable does not match the threads on the little black box.

We were testing to see if it is a viable alternative to the wake up grip to provide an all in one solution.

Also if you are to invest in the cable it is wise to purchase the one that has the shorter cables and also the MF cable attached.

L

lance_schad

Workshop Member
It will work with the KG release cable, not the ALPA supplied cable (so not that elegant of a solution). There is a an issue with the cable tripping the switch and further depressing the release on the bottomto trip the shutter.
Also there is a shorter version available that comes with the MF conector.

L

C

carbonmetrictree

Wow! I got the whole CI team on this one, LOL. I'm going to give KG and ALPA a call to see if I could possibly work with them to get a one shot cable made for the grip. I'll keep you guys updated if I find anything else on this.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Hello guys,
Old thread, but I have a question:
Do you sell the primary sync cable at capture integr.? I can not find it on you web site.
Thank you.
Mueller

Steve Hendrix

Hello guys,
Old thread, but I have a question:
Do you sell the primary sync cable at capture integr.? I can not find it on you web site.
Thank you.
Mueller

Hi Mueller

I'm sorry but we have run out of those cables and will not re-develop a new shipment. It's unfortunate, as I am personally not a fan of the Phase One Wake Up Cable. However, since most of the digital backs that can utilize a wake up signal now have 8 pin connectors, the Phase One Wake Up requires the Multi-Pin Cable as well, and then the costs ($207) approaches the KaptureGroup One Shot, which was reduced from $395 to $295 about a year or so ago.

The Alpa also does offer a nice alternative, though it is more expensive. The cheapest solution might be a standard sync cable ($58 for 8 pin, $20 for mini-phone jack) and a standard cable release for a 2 shot workflow, with the KaptureGroup as a one shot backup (or vice versa) for hot conditions or when one wishes to conserve battery.

Having 2 different types of cables also allows for the possibility for shooting differently timed events. Meaning when using a wake up cable, a slower, methodical press is needed to allow the millisecond wake up signal to occur before the actual trigger. When using a 2 shot, you can smash that cable release as quick as you like (within 4 seconds after wake up) to catch something in a timed situation more effectively. Kind of a rare scenario when these specific situations might come into play for the general intended uses of the cameras they're used on, but just something else to keep in mind.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration