The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD body - anybody here using one?

Paratom

Thomas (or anyone else with a ZD camera) - does it work okay with Sandisk Extreme III cards (16 GB)?
I only have used it a few days now but so far it worls fine with a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme III. (I use raw only because big jpgs slow down the thing to an unaccaptable time)

John Black

Thank you Thomas. I just bought a ZD camera too and if it clears customs in a timely fashion, then it should be here in a week or so. The only CF cards I have are 16 GB Ext III's for the 1Ds3.

Paratom

John - as I said, seems to work fine.
Lets see some images when you have received the zd.
Cheers, Tom

Paratom

Some more shooting with e ZD, my D3 and my M8:

The IQ advantage of the ZD seems only valid at low ISO.

At ISO 200 the D3 allready seems to deliever better IQ than the ZD.

Shake or the slightest missfocus can destroy all advantage of MF very fast.

Conclusion for me:

if one gets everything right, (focus, tripod, low iso. etc) the ZD delievers an advantage in IQ which is easy to detect. Also the tones are quit balanced.
But you have to nail everything.

The same is true for the M8, if you hit everything right it can deliever nice IQ, a little sharper than that of the D3. And, as an advantage compared to the ZD: less shake (because there is no mirror slap), and great up to ISO 640 vs 125 of the ZD, plus faster lenses and more DOF at the same f-stop - less need to stop down. However color and tones are more tricky with the M8 IMO, sometimes just fine, sometimes strange (with c1pro)

D3, maybo not as "brilliant" sharpness but with this camera it is much easier to nail everything (focus, to avoid shake because of great higher ISO, correct exposure (for example just exp bracket at a speed of 11 fms/sec).

So there seems room for each of them, (there would even be room for another MF-system, with maybe a little better high ISO and a WLF ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From my testing the Phase Backs the best at high ISO is the P30 plus and if you have to venture in that territory it will perform the best.I get very nice results with my P25 plus at ISO 800 the Zd is even pushing it at ISO 200 from when I had that back. MF bottom line you need to be on your toes with any of them. There working camera's that need attention like the M8 does also. I like to call the D3 the lazy man camera, it just gets stuff done without to much paying attention. This is not a dig on any of them , they all have there place in or out of your bag just depends on what you do and more important how you want to work. I like the control factor. I like knowing exactly what wall i am up against and work within that wall, I can't afford to get lazy. But that is ME

LJL

Just wait until the S2 comes along and hopefully starts to deliver all that control and still allow you to be a bit "lazy" while getting the shots. I am losing sleep over this already ;-)

LJ

John Black

The ZD is a ISO 50 machine, 100 if you're willing to sacrifice some quality. The P25 was the same; great at ISO 50 but by ISO 100 the noise levels were that of a 1Ds2 or 1Ds3. And by ISO 200 the Canons won already.

If the light is good and bright, thus good shutter speeds, then backs like a P25 or ZD are viable. But if light is dropping, then dSLRs rule the roost. With the 1Ds2 I'd cringe alittle at ISO 400, with the 1Ds3 I don't even think twice about shoot ISO 800.

The P30 does offer some latitude, but at the expense of a smaller sensor. That's a tough trade-off for me.

Paratom

I need to stop with pixel peeping on instead just use the stuff and see the real results.
Thank you for those infos. Now if one is limited to 100ISO and needs to further stop down to get enough DOF this gets quit a limiting factor for anything which is not with a tripod or in bright light.

The ZD is a ISO 50 machine, 100 if you're willing to sacrifice some quality. The P25 was the same; great at ISO 50 but by ISO 100 the noise levels were that of a 1Ds2 or 1Ds3. And by ISO 200 the Canons won already.

If the light is good and bright, thus good shutter speeds, then backs like a P25 or ZD are viable. But if light is dropping, then dSLRs rule the roost. With the 1Ds2 I'd cringe alittle at ISO 400, with the 1Ds3 I don't even think twice about shoot ISO 800.

The P30 does offer some latitude, but at the expense of a smaller sensor. That's a tough trade-off for me.

Last edited:

Paratom

From my testing the Phase Backs the best at high ISO is the P30 plus and if you have to venture in that territory it will perform the best.I get very nice results with my P25 plus at ISO 800 the Zd is even pushing it at ISO 200 from when I had that back. MF bottom line you need to be on your toes with any of them. There working camera's that need attention like the M8 does also. I like to call the D3 the lazy man camera, it just gets stuff done without to much paying attention. This is not a dig on any of them , they all have there place in or out of your bag just depends on what you do and more important how you want to work. I like the control factor. I like knowing exactly what wall i am up against and work within that wall, I can't afford to get lazy. But that is ME
Guy, I think you are right - the D3 being a lazy man camera. However I would say one still needs to know what one wants to do, but the camera is just predictable. No surprises.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree Tom it is a nice camera the D3 and not saying it is not in any way shape or form but the results will not equal a MF system until you compare the noise at the higher ISO than it will edge it out. Reason i said MF is a more working camera because it is a slower process and the tripod will come out more to play but the results make that extra work pay off. Like many have said the ZD is a great start into the MF system you know which wall you are up against and use that system within that range and if you step out than you reach for something else.

Paratom

Sure guy,
I just intended to find out the pros and cons of each systems as well as the limits and its amazing again and again that small user errors can destroy the whole advantage of good equipment.

I agree Tom it is a nice camera the D3 and not saying it is not in any way shape or form but the results will not equal a MF system until you compare the noise at the higher ISO than it will edge it out. Reason i said MF is a more working camera because it is a slower process and the tripod will come out more to play but the results make that extra work pay off. Like many have said the ZD is a great start into the MF system you know which wall you are up against and use that system within that range and if you step out than you reach for something else.

kloud

Using a ZD back, i am wondering what is the max capacity for SD and CF card that can be used... is 8gb or 16 gb too much for a CF? 2gb max for SD according to Mamiya.
Any clues? Can't get a clear answer from the Web.
Thanks

Stef

Paratom

Using a ZD back, i am wondering what is the max capacity for SD and CF card that can be used... is 8gb or 16 gb too much for a CF? 2gb max for SD according to Mamiya.
Any clues? Can't get a clear answer from the Web.
Thanks

Stef
CF 16 gb sandisk ExtremeIII works fine so far in my ZD

kloud

Hi Thomas,

OK, So i guess using a CF 16gb Extreme IV should be ok too, although it doesn't seem to improve the buffer response time between each picture.
Too bad SD cards can't go over 2Gb indeed...
How's your experience going with the Zd so far?
Cheers.

Stef

Paratom

Hi Thomas,

OK, So i guess using a CF 16gb Extreme IV should be ok too, although it doesn't seem to improve the buffer response time between each picture.
Too bad SD cards can't go over 2Gb indeed...
How's your experience going with the Zd so far?
Cheers.

Stef
I like the size but have to get used to be limited to low ISO. (compared to my M8 and D3)
One thing I dont like - it seems there is allways a delay until the AF starts to work after touching the shutter-release.
I need more time - I work in an office and its dark when I get home. So I only have the weekends right now.
Cheers, Tom