The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD body - anybody here using one?

John Black

For those following any of this; these shots were processed with RAW Developer (version 1.8.1). The RAW Developer GUI needs some work and added functions, but the RAW engine itself does very nicely. Click on the images for a larger version. I'm still learning RAW Developer and will write something up in a couple weeks after putting some more images through it.

John Black

Hi Quentin - I'm still wrapping my head around the raw conversion options; SilkyPix is on the "to do" list, but I haven't tried it yet. Thus far, I'd say C1 is best for "Black and Bright" - meaning very contrasty images, dark blacks, bright highlights, not much in the middle. RAW Developer is "Meaty Mid-tones". Its images can be contrasty with an S-curve edit in the curves panel, but the "native" look has lots and lots of mid-tone action. In a way it's like film; if I want Velvia, go with C1. If something more subtle, denser is in order, then RAW Developer. C1's GUI is much sexier. RAW Developer is a deep application with more options. C1 goes quickly, RAW Developer goes slower because you can really finesse the image. I'm not sure if one app is my favorite over the other. They are very different, so I could probably make equally strong arguments for either app - at least for my workflow.

woodyspedden

Hi Quentin - I'm still wrapping my head around the raw conversion options; SilkyPix is on the "to do" list, but I haven't tried it yet. Thus far, I'd say C1 is best for "Black and Bright" - meaning very contrasty images, dark blacks, bright highlights, not much in the middle. RAW Developer is "Meaty Mid-tones". Its images can be contrasty with an S-curve edit in the curves panel, but the "native" look has lots and lots of mid-tone action. In a way it's like film; if I want Velvia, go with C1. If something more subtle, denser is in order, then RAW Developer. C1's GUI is much sexier. RAW Developer is a deep application with more options. C1 goes quickly, RAW Developer goes slower because you can really finesse the image. I'm not sure if one app is my favorite over the other. They are very different, so I could probably make equally strong arguments for either app - at least for my workflow.
John

I started using Raw Developer about two years ago at Alain Briot's and Uwe Steinmeullers printing summit (at that time in Page Az.) Many of the attendees had been using it and were thrilled and anxious to share how to get the most from it. Brian Griffiths has done a very very good job with this relatively simple program.

No doubt you can spend much more and get a program that is far more feature rich. But I doubt you can find a program which does a better raw conversion and at the price a super bargain!

By all means look at all that is available...............just don't leave raw developer out of the mix. If you do you will really be sorry. I think C1 does a great job but the workflow is complicated and you ultimately find yourself exhausted following working on a few hundred files.

I think Silkypix is a pretty good alternative as is LR2. But if you take the time to learn RD you may find yourself a dedicated convert. Try it.............you might really like it.

Best

Woody Spedden

John Black

I bought RAW Developer a couple weeks ago and have been working my way through it. I've put probably a 1000+ images through RD so far. I wouldn't say C1 or RD is categorically better than the other, each have their pro's and con's. RAW Developer is a deep application, thus I wish their documentation was deeper. It's been alot of trial and error trying to figure out what some of the controls do.

John Black

A picture of the ZD with the relatively new 80mm F2.8 "D". Worked fine on the ZD without a firmware update :) The original 80mm F2.8 is in the background.

Sefarino

:confused:I Agree
A few weeks ago I bought a used Mamiya ZD and have been overwhelmed by what this marvellous camera is able to deliver in terms of picture quality. From my point of view, there is nothing wrong with your decision to buy one, Thomas.

Before the ZD I had been shooting with a Hasselblad 503 CW both analogue and digital with the CFD digital back. Compared with the latter, the ZD is a great step forward.

What I like best about it:
• The compact size
• User interface like a modern DSLR
• Picture quality (ZD and lenses work well together)
• The ZD and C1 4 Pro are a great combination
• Speed is very good for a MF camera
• Image format comparable to my Plaubel Makina 67

What I dislike:
• Very tiny display that's hardly usable.
• ISO 250 is critical, ISO 400 is unusable.
• The included software is a joke
• Aperture cannot read ZD RAW files

In a nutshell, I am pretty sure that you will keep your Mamiya ZD for quite some time as it's form factor and image quality are simply addictive.