The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Announces New MF Digital Camera System

etrigan63

Elmsford, NY – In medium format digital photography, price and performance are usually at opposite ends of the digital spectrum. Normally you have to pay more – a lot more – for better quality, performance and features, certainly for the latest technology. The new Mamiya DL28 Digital Camera System totally changes that way of thinking.

The Mamiya DL28 Digital Camera System offers professional features and benefits found in much more expensive cameras. For example, even though the DL28’s resolution is an impressive 28 Megapixels, its large sensor allows a pixel size of 7.2 microns, producing images with unmatched richness and color accuracy, low noise, and striking highlight and shadow detail. Its 3.5-inch (diagonal) screen is the largest in the industry and offers a bright, high-contrast touch screen that is ideal for outdoor or indoor work.

The DL28 marries the professionally proven Mamiya camera system to the innovative 28 megapixel Aptus-II 6 Digital Back from Leaf - a system capable of unrivaled performance, image quality and value. The 645AFD III body has a new coreless motor for faster, more accurate autofocusing and an enhanced interface system that provides total communication between the camera, lens and digital back. The 645AFD III and Leaf Aptus-II 6 Digital Back work as an integral unit so you’ll never miss the action.

With 16-bit capture, 12 stop dynamic range and an ISO range of 50-800, the Mamiya DL28 is a full featured professional digital solution that allows photographers to focus on creating the image and not worrying about the technology. The 28 MP back provides raw files of 53Mb, and 16 bit TIFF files in excess of 159 Mb – ensuring that you’ll have the information needed for virtually any size reproduction.

Compact flash media storage makes it easy to shoot untethered on location or in the studio. You can also use the included firewire cable and Leaf Capture 11.2 software to shoot directly to your computer. And the latest Leaf Capture software allows other people - in the field or in the studio - to view your creativity on their iPhones as you continue shooting!

The Mamiya DL28 will be available November 2008. MAP price is $14,999.

Is it me or does anyone else find this combo very enticing? I'm gonna have to save up for this...

Graham Mitchell

What makes this a new system? Isn't it just a package deal of components that have been available for some time?

The Hy6 65 is only $2K more and offers quite a few advantages (saves images as DNG internally, processes JPGs internally, 640x480 LCD, brighter viewfinder, viewfinder options, single Li+ battery, 2-3 stops faster flash sync, etc). Definitely worth a look in this price range.

etrigan63

I didn't write the press release, Graham. I just reported it. Still this drop in pricing bodes well for the future availability of MF kit to the common man.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What makes this a new system? Isn't it just a package deal of components that have been available for some time?

The Hy6 65 is only $2K more and offers quite a few advantages (saves images as DNG internally, processes JPGs internally, 640x480 LCD, brighter viewfinder, viewfinder options, single Li+ battery, 2-3 stops faster flash sync, etc). Definitely worth a look in this price range.
Because many folks including myself will not buy a Sinar system. Some want and need focal plane shutters.

Graham Mitchell

Guy, that's true... if you really need 1/2000 - 1/4000 shutter speed then the Hy6 won't cut it but you can still use an eSprit 65 back on the Mamiya platform.

Guy Mancuso

You can and it does offer some advantages over the leaf back with some of the new stuff. Price though here in the states seems like a moving target with Sinar. No offense intended but US support is pretty limited and for you much more available. I reside on the other side of the world. I don't know any Sinar folks besides Dave McRitchie and of course Theirry. I would like to see a stronger presence in the US for Sinar. I think a lot of US shooters feel the same way when we compare with Hassy and Phase dealers that are pretty bountiful. Hopefully that will change

etrigan63

I like the combo because Aperture2 can read Leaf files. That, and the iPhone gimmick is slick. Can the Aptus-II 6 back be mounted on a plain-old Mamiya AFD?

PeterA

The more I look at my workflow - the more I like Sinar backs and their ability to let the user change mounting adaptors in order to switch between various camera platforms as required. So ONE back can give me access to ANY camera platform as well as Alpa as well as technical/ view camera.

Hasselblad offers similar functionaity via their CF backs - but they have now discontinued their fat boy pixel 22 meg back. Of course Hasselblad does not have the total system offer that Sinar provides in terms of camera systems. In fact in order to use my F/FE lenses - I need ot mount them on a Mamiya OR a Contax via adaptor OR get a V mount and lose Mamiya functionality and use a cable release if I want to use my 40 megapixel backs on a 203/205.

To me the focal plane vs leaf shutter systems are a moot point because I want BOTH. Now as I look at my P45+ I have a mamiya mount and my H3D11-39 has an H1 mount - neither of these systems allows me the flexibility that SINAR delivers.

I prefer to look at a digi back in the same way I look at film. You buy your film and you get to use it on ANY camera you need to use. I am over manufacturers dictating to me what lenses and bodies I may or may not use according to THEIR agendas - effectively limiting my choice in ever narrowing choices.

So I would not be surprised to find myself migrating to Sinar over time - as this company's film back type model has relatively greater appeal for me. So given that the Hy6 is now out and presumably any bugs haev been worked out and given teh fact that the new software is due to be released in amonth or so and given the fact that they will inevitably roll out the improved LCD and internal processing into the range of backs - my previous reservations are all being adressed.

I really believe that most people think of teh MFD back as a 35mm DSLR on steriods - I have never subscribed to this view. 35m cameras are MUCH better at doing MANY things that a MF system just cant do - high ISO is just one factor, telephoto is another, size is another, ahnd holding ability is another.

The more we try and get manufacturers to make BIG 35mm systems - the less photographers will end up getting in terms of IQ.

yaya

I like the combo because Aperture2 can read Leaf files. That, and the iPhone gimmick is slick. Can the Aptus-II 6 back be mounted on a plain-old Mamiya AFD?
Yes, as well as RZ, RB or any 4X5/ 6X9 view camera, with no limitation as it does not use microlenses and of top of it you get the MAC group behind it, for what it probably the best support and service system in the US.

See also this offer from Leaf America

Yair

etrigan63

Thanks Yair. Sadly, I am not in any kind of financial situation right now that would allow me to own a Leaf DB (or anyone else's). If my business picks up, I will certainly consider a Leaf back for my AFD, unless an offer similar to the one that got me the AFD comes my way. (I picked it up used for $800) Maybe I can get Mamiya to send me a DL28 for review.

N

NHScottishGuy

You can and it does offer some advantages over the leaf back with some of the new stuff. Price though here in the states seems like a moving target with Sinar. No offense intended but US support is pretty limited and for you much more available. I reside on the other side of the world. I don't know any Sinar folks besides Dave McRitchie and of course Theirry. I would like to see a stronger presence in the US for Sinar. I think a lot of US shooters feel the same way when we compare with Hassy and Phase dealers that are pretty bountiful. Hopefully that will change
Guy,

You state that "US support is pretty limited". I am not quite sure what that means? SBI has been in operation as the US distributor of Sinar products for about 28 years. We have a facility in Edison, NJ that offers customer support, technical support, warehousing, repairs, shipping and delivery etc. We have field sales manager who visit end users - i.e. photographers as well as dealers. I can assure you that we have talented and genuinely caring people in our organization and we have many very satisfied and loyal customers.

You also state that prices in the US are like a "moving target". Well that moving target has been steadily headed in the same direction over the last few years - downwards. We will confirm prices this week at Photoplus Expo, this is a very busy week for us and I ask that a little patience is shown in communicating these prices to our US customers.

If you are in the vicinity of NYC or are visiting at Photoplus Expo, please stop by our booth and meet more of our team!

Best Wishes!
Dave McRitchie

[email protected]

fotografz

I think many photographers who shoot to make their living, or part of their living, are feeling the effects of the economic downturn.

So, it is nice to see that many of the MFD makers are lowering prices in some significant manner.

All of the discussions concerning what individually works and what doesn't are fine points since any one of these systems will deliver the goods to meet 99% of the real world requirements.

Whatever bugs us seems to be eventually addressed by the makers IF what we want isn't some isolated personal need.

Beyond continuous improvement, I personally want only 2 things from Hasselblad. That Phocus corrections migrate with DNG transfers like they do with Tiffs, and that Hasselblad brings forth a FOCAL PLANE H BODY. I understand that there is no peripheral motivation for Hasselblad to engineer a focal plane H body, since they don't make a dime on people buying 200 series lenses. But 200 series lenses isn't the only reason. It most certainly seems to me that a LOT more people would consider the H system if that option were available. All it would do is increase the versatility of the system.

Like Guy, myself and many others, we made our selection based on a number of factors, and while we talk about this and that on forums, when the "rubber meets the road" this stuff has to deliver.
My good old Hassey H stuff does that day-in and day-out ... and I like that they are more DSLR like, because I am under more pressure to deliver than ever before. Pack shots one day, 8 hrs on location the next, rush through 40 product shots overnight because the parts have to be send back the next morning ... and that same morning head out for another 8 location shoot ... and so on. Nothing that most of these sytems can't do ... but I KNOW this one can and does.

Guy Mancuso

Look guys like Marc it is when the rubber hits the road and from what i have seen the Sinar system did not deliver that. I seen it in person and it still bugs me. Granted it was a isolated case but the bottom line it did not work at the time and the setup was not to my liking at all with hardware and the software. I am not going to fight a system to get something to work. Put all the spin you want on it but my eyes don't lie.

BTW I am NOT influenced by anyone ever so please let's get that out of the way. I liked the Broncolor lighting and always have but mere mortals can't afford it either. The Sinar camera's especially the Hy6 i did not like the button layout at all and in a rush i am sure i would wind up hitting something I should not. Some folks like the setup and i completely respect that but I do not go bashing it every second on the forums if ever, so please do not put me in that league of whiners.

T

thsinar

Guy,

I beg you to stop claiming that the Sinar Hy6 system did not work: you very well know what in particular did not work and why it did not work. We had settled this particular issue and all was explained and understandable, from a user standpoint. Now you come again with the very same case.

It saddens me to read at any possible occasion the same and the same again.
I can with the best will not refrain from reacting and correct this false claim.

You can dislike the camera, nothing against this, but don't say that it does not work: IT DOES.

And by the way: that was not the question at all, respectively the response from Dave or myself. We did correct another claim you made, about Sinar support in the USA being limited.

Isn't it a bit weird to bring up this now?

Then: nobody mentions that you are influenced by somebody, only you bringing this up.

EDITED for addendum: if you mean "influenced by some claiming that the USA support is limited", then I wish you to answer my question. Do you have any particular case where the USA support was not up to the task? That was actually my question, and you did not answer it. Claims need facts in relation with the claim.

Thanks for your understanding and best regards,
Thierry

Look guys like Marc it is when the rubber hits the road and from what i have seen the Sinar system did not deliver that. I seen it in person and it still bugs me. Granted it was a isolated case but the bottom line it did not work at the time and the setup was not to my liking at all with hardware and the software. I am not going to fight a system to get something to work. Put all the spin you want on it but my eyes don't lie.

BTW I am NOT influenced by anyone ever so please let's get that out of the way. I liked the Broncolor lighting and always have but mere mortals can't afford it either. The Sinar camera's especially the Hy6 i did not like the button layout at all and in a rush i am sure i would wind up hitting something I should not. Some folks like the setup and i completely respect that but I do not go bashing it every second on the forums if ever, so please do not put me in that league of whiners.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I am going to walk away from this conversation because i am really tried of hearing the spin on all of this. You think whatever you want, I can see first hand and my impressions . End of story

Guy Mancuso

Thierry i do not have to justify anything I say to you or anyone. I do not need to make it right . These are my impressions and exactly what they are. i see very little support outside that NJ office and a system that 8 people could not figure out how to work on location. You want to call that user error than be my guest. But i will not a buy a Sinar camera no matter how good it is or not. I will NOT go into the details of why i feel this way. Sorry i am not going to make your product sound good to you in my eyes or anyone elses. I respect the folks that shoot it but it does nothing for me and that is it. I will not go into the details on my forum on your product, so take my comments at face value. I have enough bad stuff going on today that i do not need to discuss this any further. if you want to e-mail me than fine.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thierry, my .02 on Sinar's excellent swervice...

On the Florida lighting workshop, I personlly asked the rep two times for prices on a BronColor Mobil package. I never got an answer. After we got home, I then sent him an email and asked him for a quote. No response. He made a comment in the forums on lighting, and I asked him directly in that thread for pricing and again never got a response. Moreover, I know for certain two other members of that workshop were interested in a set of Mobil's, and they never got a response either. So all in all, probably 4 or 5 packs not even with the slightest attempt of being sold...

So I finally gave up and bought an Elinchrom system. And so did the other two. So the score from that one was Elinchrom 6, Broncolor ZERO.

I fully respect that selling a few mobil packs to a single shooter is probably not worth this reps time, and he'd much rather fill a studio order. But I think it certainly reflects a lack of commitment at the level of "individual pro shooter", and probably explains why more of use Hassy or Phase than Sinar...

Best,