The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting back to the reasons for Medium Format ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
WLF, traditional or LCD, is ideal for a number of things; street photography, child portraits, product photos etc., photographers have different needs and different approaches to these things. I use both kind of VFs for the GX680, depending on work and state of mind. For handheld operation, I always prefer the WLF on any MF camera. Less strain on arms and shoulders.

While I agree that a rotating back is convenient, the square format has its advantages as well. It somehow gives me a feeling of including "the whole frame", and that any rectangle is some kind of crop (which it is when one looks through the VF of many MF cameras). Having both options, electronically controlled, would be ideal.

dick

I have a Hasselblad H4D-60 (my sixth Hasselblad) and I am frustrated by the lack of functionality, and portrait functionality is about 2/10 due to the landscape format (assuming that photographers actually want to use the Mpx they pay for). In spite of this, hand-held work with studio flash is what it works bet for.

Photographers used to buy Hasselblad because it was a versatile system.

This is a somewhat narrow view and perhaps due to the Phase One orientation of this forum and a bit of a slant toward Landscape photography. Folks here need to get out more often ... :)

Those who use the Hasselblad camera see it differently ... lots of functionality for portrait, fashion and even documentary work. This is the very reason I selected the system, and have continued using it in that manner for 7 years now. Each year it has gotten better at those tasks.
-Marc

JorisV

Yes. Forgive my ignorance, but this is a system that is no longer produced is it not?

I need the support and knowledge that the system will be maintained and enhanced going forward by a reputable MF company. This is why I opted for Phase One in the first place (I could have gone for Hassy / Pentax too).
Still produced and maintained by DHW in Germany. I bought mine in January 2012 (with a 2012 serial number).

6x6

Now this is what I mean about a WLF!

Ok so here is what should happen. Phase One - BUY the rights to the AFi design from DHW. Paint it black. Let me put Mamiya mount backs on there. People would buy it. Well I hope so from my perspective!!

Mammy645

This is a great thread and the OP mirrors much of my own thoughts on the subject. I never got sucked in to the whole pixel-peeping and upgrading scheme and I'm still using my trusty P25 on an old AFD and the original Canon 1Ds. They produced amazing results when they were new and they are still producing the same results now many years later. What is going to make me upgrade is not more megapixels or better screens, it's going to be a much better camera body and larger sensors, things that impact my photography in a large way, not in small increments. What I have done instead is go back to film for most of my personal work and some of my pro work too, I realized this has a much bigger impact on my shooting experience and the final look of my pictures than more megapixels and a newer sensor. Just my 2 cents.

Geoff

Just to stoke the fires: it may well be that Phase already has the rights to the Hy6/AFI. There has been rumors to the effect that the intellectual property rights to the design rested with Leaf as partner in the development (remember Rollei, Leaf, jenoptik and Sinar were all in the mix), and that those rights may belong to Phase having bought Leaf. Or alternatively, they may still rest with Kodak from when Kodak owned Leaf (now wouldn't that be ironic), perhaps sitting in someone's desk drawer there....

6x6

Just to stoke the fires: it may well be that Phase already has the rights to the Hy6/AFI. There has been rumors to the effect that the intellectual property rights to the design rested with Leaf as partner in the development (remember Rollei, Leaf, jenoptik and Sinar were all in the mix), and that those rights may belong to Phase having bought Leaf. Or alternatively, they may still rest with Kodak from when Kodak owned Leaf (now wouldn't that be ironic), perhaps sitting in someone's desk drawer there....
Please don't tell me this is true. Come on Phase, get on with it!! I'll be your first buyer.

6x6

On another note. Imagine the scenario where you had a set of lenses and a digital back, but they could be coupled to a camera orientated to a specific purpose. So extending the idea of the Industrial iXR concept. However maybe it is just not profitable for Phase to do so.

Chris Giles

They could do with changing a few things other than the sensor:

'Hi there, I have a Leaf Aptus 22 for Mamiya mount in excellent condition, I'm interested in swapping it for either another Leaf Aptus, or Phase One P25+ in Contax mount.

Unfortunately Leaf want to charge £20,000 to perform a mount swap.'

:facesmack:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One thing missing here is a long exposure Dalsa back. Its really the P45 or nothing but a long Dalsa sensor is needed. Im sure this would be a big hit.

Aryan Aqajani

This Leaf AFi is really good! Does anyone have any idea where to purchase this beauty except Germany? Also, is it possible to change a Mamiya mount back to AFi mount?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If Leaf backs had focus mask, or the IQ backs could mount on a Hy6, I'd buy the system today. Unfortunately, Leaf has dropped their Hy6 support on their newest backs, so that dream is fading.

--Matt (who wants WLF, AF, and a back good for landscapes on a tech cam. Aw, heck, I'd probably just shoot hyper focal anyway, so maybe "old" Leaf and Hy6 is the way to go...)

6x6

With the Leaf Afi I know the focus check, aperture and shutter speed is available through the WLF, but what about exposure? Also how does the camera do AE? I was assuming it would only be available when using a prism finder of some sort.

Unfortunately, Leaf has dropped their Hy6 support on their newest backs, so that dream is fading.
I also noted that the Credo's support all the cameras that the Aptus backs do .... apart from the AFi ....

Doh! As Homer would say.

Egor

I have read this thread and find the posts interesting; but appear to be mostly fineart shooters.
Having come up thru the ranks from amateur to professional in the 70's/80's I have used every type of film camera up to 8x10 Sinars (yes I assisted Richard Avedon in NYC in early 80's, so some of the comments about his photography caught my eye. I assisted many big names of that era) I shot everything from macro parts to food to architecture to fashion/glamour with the best in the business.
The reason we used medium to large format on pro shoots was because of the need for resolution and instant feedback using Polaroids. It had nothing to do with waist level finders, bokeh, lenses...etc. In some instances, tech movements were necessary for Certain product shots or architecture, but that was it. 8x10 film at "Playboy" was shot because it could be retouched by hand and regular eyes.
I remember shooting for What is now called May Company back East and we would go thru over $4000/day in Polaroid and film processing alone ( anyone remember bracketing?)
Digital changed all that. The things we used MF and LF for back then are still in play, but barely. Resolution, LiveView, and movements are ABSOLUTELY the most important aspects of any professional system, IMO. We no longer use Polaroids and hand drawn overlays with grease pencils on 4x5 groundglass, we use LiveView projected onto computer screens and TVs, we no longer judge resolution by size of film and scanner, but by PPI or megapixels; and movements are movements but I think technical answers to that old issue are coming along nicely and should bear fruit in a few years.
So just my two cents, but professionally speaking, we need the resolution of MFD with the LIveView ( and yes I mean full on LiveView, not just focusing) for serious professional day-in/day-out needs of working pros with heavy workloads.
All this stuff about how "slowing down" and "taking your time" to compose with big format digital is all well and good for fine art shooting, but in my world sounds like excuses. :)

Last edited:

dick

Perhaps they were bright enough to not de-value a quality European product...?

Geoff

With the Leaf Afi I know the focus check, aperture and shutter speed is available through the WLF, but what about exposure? Also how does the camera do AE? I was assuming it would only be available when using a prism finder of some sort.
Auto exposure, shutter, or aperture priority are all available with whatever viewing mode (WLF, loupe, prism, whatever). You choose. Its pretty much current. When shooting with the digital back, a small image of the histogram shows up on the handle by the WLF, so you don't have to look at the back.