The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shocked my MF image quality

Mammy645

Welcome to the wonderful world of MFD. Canons and Nikons are great at what they do best (I mostly use mine for travel and catalog work), but the files from my P25 still blow me away every time I use it.

Paratom

Thomas - did you buy the 645AFDII + ZD back, or the original Mamiya ZD dSLR camera?
Hi Carsten,
I got the ZD camera. It is not what I initially wanted but it allowed me to step in for a "reasonable" amount of money.
Even if the form factor is far less "sexy" than most of the other MF-systems and the camera probably has its limitations (small display and noise at higher ISO for example) , I now also think the integrated design also has some advantages (size being one of them) ond not only disadvantages.

I think that it also helps me to find out what I need and what I dont need in a digital system.

One first impression is that due to the big step forward in IQ (which I did not expect to be that obvious) size and weight and also speed of a camera system have become a more important factor for me since I expect to use the MF-stuff quit often. Because of this the Leica S2-systems sounds more appealing to me than it did initially. I guess though that it will be too high priced for me. I will try to get my hands on the different systems and then make a decision.

Grüße, Thomas

carstenw

I handled the integrated ZD in a store once, and really liked it. Surprisingly, it barely weighed more than my camera at the time, a 5D. I recall some early talk about the integrated ZD not having the dynamic range of other MF digital offerings, but I guess it still has lots.

kloud

Thomas,

I am about to get my hands on a ZD back, so your first impressions and tests with the ZD are quite valuable to me. Would you care to show us some samples of your work when you feel like it?
I've searched the forum to see some samples but not quite sure there are so many.
Hope you have fun with your ZD.

Stef

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Stef could not find anything on that ,a bit surprised i posted a couple threads . Let me see if i can search them out

kloud

Guy,

Thanks for all those links, pictures and very valuable info (lots to read, goody) and as I step into the MF world (once again, after using for years an Epson R-D1 and some fine Voigtländer lenses), I can´t be happier and impatient to start shooting in this larger format, digitaly enhanced !
Great pictures of a very nice part of the world you took too, I´ll practice my shooting there anytime (not soon, though, snif). Planning on going to Vietnam twice this year though, so I´ll keep you posted on that work.
Once again thanks for all this great info, not any other forum I have checked has this friendly feeling.
Merci !:thumbup:

Stef

Paratom

Thomas,

I am about to get my hands on a ZD back, so your first impressions and tests with the ZD are quite valuable to me. Would you care to show us some samples of your work when you feel like it?
I've searched the forum to see some samples but not quite sure there are so many.
Hope you have fun with your ZD.

Stef
Stef,
I am a little mimited with time and frankly havent shot anything which I think would be worth posting.
I will try to post some images tomorrow or Sunday.
Regards, Tom

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Thanks for all those links, pictures and very valuable info (lots to read, goody) and as I step into the MF world (once again, after using for years an Epson R-D1 and some fine Voigtländer lenses), I can´t be happier and impatient to start shooting in this larger format, digitaly enhanced !
Great pictures of a very nice part of the world you took too, I´ll practice my shooting there anytime (not soon, though, snif). Planning on going to Vietnam twice this year though, so I´ll keep you posted on that work.
Once again thanks for all this great info, not any other forum I have checked has this friendly feeling.
Merci !:thumbup:

Stef
Thanks , glad i could be of help.

Paratom

2 zd images

Hi Stef,
here are some first images. I have not figured out to resize and convert those images for web without loosing color fidaity and clarity.
I will post more as son as I have figured out the best way of resize. (do you guys resize when converting in c1pro or afterwards with PS or do you use any other tool? How do you convert to srgb for web?
Regards, Tom

Guy Mancuso

LOL Yes Jacks converter is really handy. I use it on every image i am going to post besides the money goes to feed our wonderful IT guy Andy.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

We have to throw him a steak once in awhile to run this place on his massive servers.

Guy Mancuso

That's a 200 dollar web converter . LOL

Actually want to do it anyway, there are some nice new features that i am after. One is a better photomerge in CS4

Paratom

Thanks for the help. I still use CS2 and sometimes breezebrowaser for downscaling and find thati I loose detail and sharpness when doing so.
I will have a look at this web converter and had planned to update PS anyways.
I also feel my images look good in color-managed software but somewhat dull in internet explorer - Seems like they could take an extra boost of saturation. (I have converted them to srgb for the web) Anyone else experiences this difference?

Guy Mancuso

Guy, there are tons of small things which they made a lot nicer to work with. Just being able to zoom in and out freely, and have the image look good at any scale without 'jaggies' is a huge step forward. I posted my first impressions here: http://www.foto-z.com/blog/?p=67
Thanks Graham i did not know about the scaling , that sounds really nice. I may wait a couple weeks since I am on at least one project i am afraid to stir the pot with any changes to my system. But after that I will get it loaded up