The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for Contax or Mamiya digital in Colorado

Ok, who has a camera system I can check out in Colorado? I'm getting closer and closer to making the leap from DMR to MFDB and I have narrowed my search down to these two systems as I think they fit my needs. Both have pros and cons and I have a general understanding of both systems merits on paper, but would like to get my hands on them.

I am looking for a budget/entry level system I can grow into financially, but light weight/small size, durability and price are my top three priorities. Image quality is a lower priority as I would assume any MFDB system is a step up from the Leica.

I have ruled out Hasselblad and Sinar on weight and cost.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As Yair pointed out that Mamiya 28 looks very nice indeed, maybe Yair can arrange a demo. Leaf makes some nice backs too. Also the folks at Capture Integration can help . They should have both Contax and Mamiya with Phase backs to look at . Contact Lance on that one. We do have a few forum members in Colorado that have both the Hassy systems and Phase systems for sure up there. Knowing you Bill seems like you want a focal plane shutter instead of a leaf shutter so your choices are the Contax and Mamiya's on that. I would check all three setups out and see what works the best for you. I will send Lance a note that you are looking and maybe Yair can help you out on the Leaf stuff to try out.

Yair, thanks for the offer. The DL28 package is an amazing value, but unfortunately above my price range right now.

Also the folks at Capture Integration can help . They should have both Contax and Mamiya with Phase backs to look at . Contact Lance on that one.
I will, but I was hoping to be a little further along the process before I take up their time.

We do have a few forum members in Colorado that have both the Hassy systems and Phase systems for sure up there.
Yeah, I think it might be time for a trip up to Fort Collins. :D

Knowing you Bill seems like you want a focal plane shutter instead of a leaf shutter so your choices are the Contax and Mamiya's on that. I would check all three setups out and see what works the best for you. I will send Lance a note that you are looking and maybe Yair can help you out on the Leaf stuff to try out.
Thanks Guy. This is a bit of a tough one for me. When I want strobes it generally is at higher shutter speeds, either to overpower the sun or to add fill light to something shaded when the rest of the scene is brightly illuminated. However, this needs to be a versatile system and for me I think that means focal plane shutter, as much for the smaller size and weight of the lenses and overall system than flash sync or shutter speed. In a perfect world I want a leaf shutter that goes to 1/2000, but don't we all. Shutter speed of at least 1/1000 is often necessary, for the few times I need high sync speed I can rent a lens or use an adapter.

One thing about the Mamiya that does tilt in their favor a little is the ability to rent lenses locally. Basically the Colorado rental market is non-existant and consists of a handful of older Mamiya AF lenses (no D lenses) and Hasselblad V lenses.

I guess I am looking for a better DMR at the same size and less weight, with focal lengths the equivalent of my current system - 15, 35-70, 90, 180. I realize there are compromises to be had, and before anyone raises any flags about the weight comment, both the Mamiya and Contax systems should weigh the same or less.

Aside from the typical outdoor fashion type images, if you look at some of the images here, you can get a feel for what they might have looked like with a little fill flash, but carrying anything more than an on-camera strobe would have not have been possible.

Last edited:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hey Bill, give me a shout sometime and come on down to Navajo Dam, NM (Four Corners area) and you can play with my Contax/Aptus 75S. Or maybe we should get a "shoot out" group together up in Ft. Collins sometime soon?

J

jmvdigital

Hey Bill, give me a shout sometime and come on down to Navajo Dam, NM (Four Corners area) and you can play with my Contax/Aptus 75S. Or maybe we should get a "shoot out" group together up in Ft. Collins sometime soon?
Chuck- There already is a group together in Ft. Collins... http://www.meetup.com/nocophoto/ So far 24 members, and I'll be tying it into the Center for Fine Art Photography here shortly.

Bill- I have a Phase One AFD with the P30+ in the Wellington/Fort Collins area. If the DL28 is out of reach at around $15k, the 30+ will be too. But let me know if you need something.