The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focal Length Equivalent

barry685

I am trying to determine the correct focal length lens to purchase that would cover the groups that I photograph in my studio.

Using a Mamiya 645 with a P21+ back I need to purchase a 35,45, or 55mm lens. I would prefer the 55mm.

I looked at the metadata on some files that were shot with a 24 -70mm Canon lens mounted on a 5d, and found the widest focal length that I have used is 51mm. Most of the group shots were 54-60 mm.

Barry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Barry, the answer may be different depending on how/if you cropped your 5D frames. IOW the 5D is a 3:2 aspect ratio frame while the DB is a 4:3 ratio. *IF* you cropped the 5D to 4:3 then the calculation derives a slightly different answer than if you didn't.

Bottom line is if you compare total sensor diagonals, the P21 is about .79x for 35mm equivalent, give or take depending on how/if you cropped your 5D. So the 55 would be about a 43 on your P21...

What you (and the rest of us) probably want is a 65 and they don't make it. Good news is the DB is somewhat more crop-able than a DSLR, so you can shoot looser and crop. Other alternative is to learn to shoot from a little further away and go with the 80. At the end of the day, 70% of my shooting is done with the 55 or 80, and the next 20% with the 150 (but I'm shooting with the 1.1 crop sensor).

Hope that helps :),

Dale Allyn

Doug at Capture Integration posted an Excel spreadsheet which calculates FL equivalents in this forum some time ago. I'm traveling and don't have the file on my laptop, but perhaps someone will post a link or Doug will post it again.

If you don't have Excel you can use NeoOffice (Mac) or OpenOffice (Mac and PC) to use the file. Both are open source, i.e. free. I don't use MS apps. but the file is compatible with NeoOffice. I assume it will also work with OpenOffice but I have not yet tried the newly release Mac version.

Edit: I'm typing slow and I was distracted!!! Guy and Jack's replies beat me (again). :)

J

jmvdigital

Medium format and 35mm (i.e., 5D) focal lengths do not equate. The P21+ has a crop factor of 1.3x as well. Typically, I've found a good rule of thumb for 645 to 35mm lens conversion is to multiple the medium format lens focal length by 0.59 to get it's 35mm equivalent. Confused?....

The standard 80mm lens on your P21+, would be equal to about 61mm on your 5D ((80mm x 1.3) x 0.59).

The 55mm lens would be equal to about 42mm on your 5D (too wide). The 35mm and 45mm would also be too wide.

The standard 80mm that comes with most Mamiya/Phamiya kits would be perfect it seems.

EDIT: LOL! Me too.
Edit: I'm typing slow and I was distracted!!! Guy and Jack's replies beat me (again).

barry685

Barry, the answer may be different depending on how/if you cropped your 5D frames. IOW the 5D is a 3:2 aspect ratio frame while the DB is a 4:3 ratio. *IF* you cropped the 5D to 4:3 then the calculation derives a slightly different answer than if you didn't.
Hope that helps :),
Jack,
Good point. I actually crop my groups based on a 8x10 aspect ratio & have drawn lines on the focusing screen to indicate that. So now what?

barry685

The standard 80mm lens on your P21+, would be equal to about 61mm on your 5D ((80mm x 1.3) x 0.59).

The 55mm lens would be equal to about 42mm on your 5D (too wide). The 35mm and 45mm would also be too wide.

The standard 80mm that comes with most Mamiya/Phamiya kits would be perfect it seems.

EDIT: LOL! Me too.
Justin,
Your findings match the C1 Conversion program. I actually would end up needing a combination of the 55 & 80 to cover all the possibilities. When using the 55 I would just have to get closer to the subjects. The most common focal length that I used with the 5d is about 54mm which the 80 mm mamiya lens would not be wide enough for.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Good point. I actually crop my groups based on a 8x10 aspect ratio & have drawn lines on the focusing screen to indicate that. So now what?
Given that, my best advice is to start with the 55 and take it from there --- HoweverButt, note that for portrait work that is slightly wide and may give you some of the dreaded "bulbous nose" effect...

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Barry here is a great focal length calculator to download for future reference.
http://www.captureintegration.com/tools/our-tools/
You simply enter in the focal length in the filed that corresponds with what you want to cross reference it from.
So let say you are used to using a 90mm on 4x5, put 90mm in the 4x5 field and all the other ones populate with the corresponding focal lengths for the other formats.

L

daz7

divide the larger sensor sensor's diagonal by the smaller sensor daigonal and multiply your preferred lens length by that ratio.
In your example, 55mm/43mm = 1.28 multiplied by your favourite focal length on a 5D (55-60mm) shows that you should be looking for a lens of roughly 70-75mm for your P21 sensor to roughly match it. Considering difference in a picture ratio, I'd say the lenses within the 65mm-75mm bracket should be fine.

You will never match the look exactly because of a different picture format (1.5x vs 1.3) but you can get quite close.