The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Killing the DMF system for the D800 (experiences)

I would say keep your Hasselblad and spend on taking photos. If you know how to process your file very well, you won't see much difference in them. Maybe your lacking Live View only.

pedro39photo

Thanks so much David ! , for me that podcast say it all !!!

If a respected landscape photographer can´t see the differences from a 3000$ camera 40x60 inch print, and a 35.000$ camera, sorry but this its a tabu !!! a marking tabu for anyone with the DMF or anyone selling DMF.

I really love the MF systems, but please i think its time for a game change in the DMF prices ! in quality of the ISOs, In the quality of the LCD etc !

Audioboo / Nikon D800E v Phase One IQ180 comparison - 60x40 inch print comparison yields SHOCK result

Its time to sell my H3D !!! how much today a H3D 22MP camera sells? that cost 14.000$ only 5 years ago...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I recently shot my IQ 140 on a tech cam with a roadie 28 against my D800 and 24 processed for optimum results and the 140 still kicked its butt in detail department. So it's not always that clear. They are damn close, if you don't have to sell your MF than I would not. In my case selling it is for reasons outside of photography. Photographically I would rather have the MF system. In my situation selling it is not something I really want to do. I do like the D800 and it's a versatile tool to work with but it's not going to make me any better or worse just another compromise as with any system.

Swissblad

Actually if you listen to the podcast carefully, it was relatively easy to distinguish the Nikon files from the IQ180 files - simply by looking at corner/corner sharpness.
Bottom line is the D800 needs top glass to get the best from that sensor.

As to selling your HB - don't expect to get more than $5'000.- for it.

That said, I don't see many adds for 2nd hand MFD equipment (just check this and other forums) - but I see loads of D3X users trying to sell their once $8000.- camera very rapidly.

Once the D4X arrives, we'll see the next flux of 2nd hand cameras - this time - D800's.

torger

DSLRs have had more rapid development in image quality which gives more desire to upgrade, and don't forget that in DSLR land the body (including sensor) is substantially cheaper too, so it is not a huge cost to upgrade, so why not just for the fun of it? Lenses does not have the same rate of replacement.

One could say that the reason why many hold on to the MF systems so long is because the lack of development -- my Aptus 75 from 2005 essentially provides the same image quality as a ~30-40 megapixel MFDB today, and the prices are so high that the upgrades in user interface are not worth it. In some aspects development even go backwards, long exposures since P45+?

Strictly speaking I think MFDB tech today provides enough of what a professional photographer needs, and high prices is no problem for someone with healthy business, but if people start getting the feeling that they are ripped off compared to capable alternatives the business model may have to change.

(note that I'm an amateur though, and as such like to complain about prices :) )