The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite MF lens focal length

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just curious what focal lengths folks are finding that they use mostly. Seems i tend to lean towards the 55mm and 150 mm focal lengths . I'm still a wide angle freak and love my 28mm but used mostly the 150 and 55

Dale Allyn

Guy,

I have a Mamiya kit (as you know) with the 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 150mm, and 210mm. These are all the more modest, previous models in that none are the new "D" model (referring to the 80 and 150).

I tend to shoot wide stuff, but like the 150 perspective too. The 210 ULD is my newest lens, but I really like this one too. It's very sharp and seems to have a nice character to it. I've not used it much yet, but I did stitch four verticals to make a reasonably wide shot with it recently and it turned out very nice. I'm liking it now. (The same view with a single frame from a wider lens wasn't appropriate.)

The FoV of the 45 works well for me too. I've always liked 24mm on FF 35mm, so the Mamiya 35 fits there, but I have found myself using the 45 more often lately. Heck, like you I find the 55 good too.

We're lucky to have so many options, except my pack is a bit heavy! :ROTFL:

PeterA

In 645: for people shots the Hasselblad 110/2 or 100/2.2 for wide the Hasselbald 28.
In RZ the 50/4.5 ULD for walk around and environmental - for people the 110.
In Alpa mount: teh Schneider 35 XL - sharp as and awesome colour rendition. ( something not talked about much in here)

J

jmvdigital

I only have the Mamiya 45mm, 80D, and 150D, so I use them all quite regularly. The 150mm is my favorite though. In general, I like to get in tight on a composition.

In the future I'd like to step into the 28D and something longer than the 150, and I need ext. tubes, and... Ok... deep breath. :)

Dale Allyn

Justin,

Your kit is actually a very nice setup. All good lenses and a nice progression. Like you, I'd like the 28D and others, but I fear that the new 45-90 is going to be very practical for me and so I'll need to sell all of my other gear and both kidneys if and when it surfaces.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use the 55 and 80 for about 65% of all my shots. Then comes the 150 for maybe 25%. The 35 is the next 5% followed by the 110 and 300 for the final 5% combined.

harmsr

Workshop Member
For the Phase P30+/Phase camera - I have the 45 & 80D. The 80 sees the majority of use.

For the Hassy H3DII39 - I have the 50, 80, & 150 plus extension tubes. The 80 sees the most use, followed by the 150. I still need to try the 100 someday.

Best,

Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great question guess we should add that since there are several. Mine is the P25.The 31mpx folks will be different for sure and the FF P65 will also be different

Don Libby

Good question and I think a tough one for me to answer. Until I got my hands on the Cambo RS and 35mm the lens that stayed on the Phase 645 most of the time was the 28, I took that off to put the 70-150 on the most followed by the 300. Now? I’d have to say the Cambo and 35 followed by the Phase and the 70-150. I’d like to get a 90 for the Cambo to give it a little more reach and of course I’m still sitting on the fence about selling the 28 – somebody please put me out of my misery :confused:

Old back was the P30+ which was upgraded to the P45+ when I got the Cambo RS.

don

mark1958

With my Hasselblad H3DII-31--- I have to say that when i am hiking or doing landscapes, I use the 50-110mm zoom 90% of the time. I think the 35-90 expected new zoom would be even more desirable but not sure it is worth the price tag. The second most used for landscapes is my 28mm.