The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EJJI batteries for Phase One DF

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've just acquired a set of these and note they claim 10k exposures. Can forum members who have been using them confirm this claim?

Be nice not to have to carry a charger on future travels if the claim is only half true!

Bill

kdphotography

Bill,

I dunno about 10K exposures, but they do seem to last, and go on and on and on and on...

I have yet to run one down significantly. I leave one battery in the DF and one in the charging cradle. After each shoot, I swap them (though there really is no need to). I easily could forego the charger on a trip. I think the real question is what is the longevity of the batteries themselves (to hold a good charge)? Much too early to tell.

These batteries really should be standard issue with the Phase DF body, and the AA battery holder supplied as a backup power source.

ken

Don Libby

Bill, while I can't say how many images I've taken I do know that the battery that's resting in the DF is the very same one I loaded into it in Atlanta in March after making certain it was charged. It has not be removed since and has served me well at different locations.

Don

kdphotography

If the Phase MFDB batteries were half as good as the EJJI Li-ion batteries, I'd bet we wouldn't be hearing about lock-ups at all.

Steve Hendrix

I took one to Hawaii for a week - Shot with it the whole week, and still shows no appreciable loss of charge.

When we received the first prototype units, we had one of our lucky technical team members hold down the shutter release on a Mamiya 645 camera with a Phase One digital back attached for 2,000 shots. No movement on the battery indicator. The next day we decided to put a film back on the camera (we didn't really want to unnecessarily run up thousands of shot counts on one of our demo/rental units). We ran 5,000 more shots. Nothing. Then we left the camera on with a digital back attached to it for 3 days. On the morning of the 3rd day, the battery was dead.

Clients who have experienced various camera quirkiness have seen the behavior disappear after switching away form the AA batteries to the Lithium.

One thing - as far as we can tell, the battery indicator doesn't recognize the Ejji batteries, so you won't know from the indicator how much life you have left on the battery, if you keep on shooting, at some point it will simply stop.

From our experience and anecdotal evidence, 7,500 - 10,000 shots seems realistic. It's pricy, but I cannot imagine why anyone owning an AF/DF camera should not be using this product.

They're in stock:

Phase One/Mamiya AF/DF Camera Accessories

Steve Hendrix

kdphotography

Even with regular alkaline AAs or Energizer Lithium AAs, I would not give a lot of credence to the camera body battery indicator. When it shows a "half-battery" it's really too late, and you'd better swap in a fresh set pronto. With the older AF/AFD bodies, a half battery signal meant you only had enough battery power to finish off your roll of film.

The new EJJI Li-ion batteries simply give more peace of mind and one less thing to worry about.

Don Libby

I posted this on another thread and decided to include it here as well.

Side note: I bought the Ejji 10k Li-Ion battery for the DF while visiting Dave Gallagher in March. The battery has remained in the camera the entire time. Until today when it actually showed less than full charge. I swapped it out for the spare and away I went. Four months of shooting and I could have gone longer however since it showed less than 100% and I was busy shooting I didn't want to take a chance. Back home now and have decided to replace the battery with the older one just to see how much longer it really lasts.

Don