The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any exciting new things coming out during Photokina 2012?

S

Shelby Lewis

One gets the sense you aren't totally satisfied?
You think?:D Topic for another thread... (but I'm not happy with the IQ. Functionally the camera is fantastic, but doesn't deliver the IQ goods in my hands... and I came from a big, slow RZ/Aptus so I think I know how to work with high-res cameras that need to be used carefully)

m21apsh

there is a rumor that Alpa is coming out a new camera....

can anyone confirm that?

better/more precision focusing system + tilt/swing ability for wide angle?

What else do you need to improve from current tech system in general?

Shashin

Since Hasselblad came out with a Ferrari version of their camera, I am hoping Leica jump on the bandwagon and release a Harley Davidson edition of the S2. Perhaps someone could get Victoria Beckham or Kim Kardashian to design a camera.

gazwas

No directly MFD but many here use lighting with their Phase/Blad/Leaf so wondering if there are any Profoto kit rumours flying about. I'm in the market for another Battery generator to go with the rather excellent AcuteB2 AirS I've had for a few months.

Profoto have reduces prices on the AcuteB2 and Pro7B generators recently so wondering if we'll be getting AcuteB3's and Pro8B's at Photokina?

fotografz

No directly MFD but many here use lighting with their Phase/Blad/Leaf so wondering if there are any Profoto kit rumours flying about. I'm in the market for another Battery generator to go with the rather excellent AcuteB2 AirS I've had for a few months.

Profoto have reduces prices on the AcuteB2 and Pro7B generators recently so wondering if we'll be getting AcuteB3's and Pro8B's at Photokina?
A digital Acute 600B would get my attention so it could be AIR controlled from the camera ... so would one with two head outlets ... but only if they keep it close to the same size.

Also interested in what Hensel may bring to Photokina.

-Marc

gazwas

A digital Acute 600B would get my attention so it could be AIR controlled from the camera ... so would one with two head outlets ... but only if they keep it close to the same size.

Also interested in what Hensel may bring to Photokina.

-Marc
Woo, a digital AcuteB would be nice and not thought of that. A option to have an AcuteB 1200 with two head outlets as an option would be nice too.

Fingers crossed for something new, however the offers on the current AcuteB2 are very tempting as I really love mine.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since Hasselblad came out with a Ferrari version of their camera, I am hoping Leica jump on the bandwagon and release a Harley Davidson edition of the S2. Perhaps someone could get Victoria Beckham or Kim Kardashian to design a camera.
I will still be waiting for the Hello Kitty version :p

fotografz

Woo, a digital AcuteB would be nice and not thought of that. A option to have an AcuteB 1200 with two head outlets as an option would be nice too.

Fingers crossed for something new, however the offers on the current AcuteB2 are very tempting as I really love mine.
I think that may only happen if they redesign the whole Acute generator line-up for digital AIR control ...or introduce a new line and phase out the Acute series.

I don't think they'd do an Acute 1200B because it would encroach on their other battery generators.

My suggestion of a 2 outlet 600B AIR is because many modern cameras are offering higher ISO, and the general use of a 600 box with two heads is more feasible ... like the very successful Elinchrom Quadra RX with two heads and 400w/s.

Frankly, I'm also tempted by the offers on the current 600B AIR ... including the free Acute B head. I love mine also. I fear any future replacement will be accompanied by a more typical Profoto price tag :eek:

BTW, I'm super pleased with the D1's that replaced my older Compacts I had forever. I've been going mobile with those by using the Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini Lithiums.

-Marc

gazwas

I think that may only happen if they redesign the whole Acute generator line-up for digital AIR control ...or introduce a new line and phase out the Acute series.
I think the Acute generators are also being offered with a big discount at the moment so maybe not out of the running for a whole new Acute design?

BTW, I'm super pleased with the D1's that replaced my older Compacts I had forever. I've been going mobile with those by using the Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini Lithiums.
The D1's are an amazing package with a fine spec but IMO when travelling, nothing beats a generator as the heads are so small and compact especially the B versions. The D1 is just a big, heavy cumbersome head and unlike other manufacturers having a lower powered head doesn't change the size. In the grand scheme of things a battery generator/head combo is probably a similar weight to a D1/Battery combo but it feels more compact in use to me.

fotografz

Stefan Steib

there is even more - they have the remote control which is actually very cool and even better: an LED modeling light with 10 watts which is 3,5 times less energy consuming than the old 35w Halogen but probably twice or 3 times as bright !

there are some videos about the previous model (see the remote!)

G 4.0 400w Wireless Controlle Portable Studio Mobile Flash Strobe Light Kit bh28 | eBay

I am not a wedding photographer , but I think I will get 3 of these (the old version only costs about 550 € with free shipment), 400 ws are plenty for digital and use them for small tabletop also !

Regards
Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

Is this a real hi-sync or just similar to the pocketwizard or the radiopopper system where it allows sync as long as you don't mind losing pretty much all the power at the higher end? I have the radiopopper system, I've never actually tried it out to see what the power drop off is but it's bound to be rather nasty. Hmm, maybe I should do some experimenting. Basically what all these systems are doing it playing with the timing on the trigger to make sure you catch the tail end of the flash while the shutter is fully open. It's a trigger based innovation rather than a flash based one.

Unless this one is different and I'd love it to be so!

Stefan Steib

As I read it from the specs it uses HSS as the Canon-Nikon flashes with reduced power like a permanent light (actually flickering very, very fast).

Regards
Stefan

fotografz

As I read it from the specs it uses HSS as the Canon-Nikon flashes with reduced power like a permanent light (actually flickering very, very fast).

Regards
Stefan
The question then becomes "how reduced" ... given that the top 400 w/s power level at full duration is 4X+ that of a speed-light, I wonder what w/s is used for the pulsing ... if the same effective w/s as a speed-light there is no gain except the use of better modifiers off-set by more to carry and set-up, but even if 2X that of a speed-light, it could be interesting.

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Very interesting! I didn't imagine that it could pulse. Next question will be what the shot to shot reliability and colour will be when pulsing, the chinese strobes have a rather bad reputation for this in general. Not expecting Profoto but even reaching Bowens or cheap Elinchroms would be incredible if it will pulse as well.

Marc will agree with me on this, as wedding photographers, cool tricks count for nothing if you don't have reliability and other than war photography, wedding work is pretty much the test of gears reliability, Mr Murphy is more present at weddings than any other type of shooting in my experience :D. The pocketwizard TTL system works fine but most wedding photographers won't use it because it's just too unreliable and complicated for this kind of work. It's the same reason most don't use 'strobist' gear, it's cool, it's fun but it isn't reliable enough. Whether these are, unlike most chinese strobes and flashes (this will of course change in time, remember in the '80's the popular term 'Japanese junk' was used to describe any Japanese electrical goods), remains to be seen.

archivue

maybe a powered firewire repeater that can be used with batteries to face the apple thunderbolt problem with backs such as Leaf Aptus II...

MichaelS

Regardless of an improved next generation DF body, the real weak link imho is the lack of a really kick-*** wide angle lens option ala Schneider (and in the same quality vein as the venerable 150D). Even if expensive (5K+), it would still be a less expensive option than buying a technical camera system. I'd like to see new wide angle lens offerings for the DF...

ken
Last year Phase One announced it had 11 new lenses in the pipe shortly before it announced the 75-150 and 240LS lenses. Hopefully, wider LS lenses.