The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji gx680 with a DSLR?

P

photorambler

Hi, :confused:
I just joined, so pardon any gaffes I may commit... but this is yet another "Fuji GX680 with a DSLR" question (before I abandon hope altogether!). I see from older threads that danlindberg is a member who'se been down this lane before, so...
Trying to put a nikon D7000 against the back of my gx680, I find that a focused image can be got of a fairly nearby object, say 6 ft (the length of my bed, actually!) and the fuji bellows (I have a 180mm lens on it) retracted. Any distant object, however, fails to register a focused image on the DSLR.
Dan seems to have got distant images with a canon 1D MkII DSLR. Is this because the nikon I used is too fat, compared to the canon, and pushes back the film plane too much? Would the nikon combination work with a less bulky model, say one without the built-in flash? Or is the canon line just less bulky than the nikon?
I would also like to know whether there really are nikon or canon adaptors to attach to the gx680 back?
Many thanks!

RS

this is just a focus issue, like being near sighted
the film sensor plane of the gx680 is closer to the lens than putting your nikon against the back of your camera. so therefore your actual focus point is now further back than expected, causing you to become near sighted. I believe that canon back focus distance is less than nikon, which will allow a more distant object to be photographed in focus.

danlindberg

Sorry, but that is a missunderstanding. At the time I had my Canon 1ds2 I looked into the possibility to use it with my much loved Fuji GX680, but the closest I got was this youtube clip: DIGILOG GX-680 Transform Camera - YouTube

So, that was just a thought that did not happen. I do have a Kapture Group adapter for my Aptus II 5 and it works perfectly, BUT the KG box and cables makes it cumbersome to bring outside the studio so it does not see much use, and I have the last couple of years steered away from studio assignments.

I prefer to work with my Alpa on location.

P

photorambler

Many thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try looking out for a digital back sometime... I guess also that there must be some without the need for tethering?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Many thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try looking out for a digital back sometime... I guess also that there must be some without the need for tethering?
Yes of course.

I'd get in touch with a good dealer. They can show you the range and let you test systems based on your own needs/use. Regarding range (of modern backs that don't need to be tethered): we have everything from a demo DM22 (much less than $10k) to an IQ180 (list price > $40k).

They can also answer all your technical questions, including both those you know to ask (which you can usually get good answers to with sufficient time/discernment from forums like this) and the questions you don't know to ask. Like: if I like the idea of a GX680 what other options are out there that would feel similar and produce similar results.