The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 35mm f3.5

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been borrowing a Bogen 405 on a extended loan and I have it mounted on a Gitzo series 3 systematic, and the thing that irks me is about the 405 is that I can actually see it wobble when the mirror slaps on the AFD III.
I think I need to send it back.
The Bogen is equipped with circular levels, which are a bit dicey unless they are the high precision large diameter type (like the Apla version).
My mouse finger is getting itchy.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL:

Just to whet your appetite a bit more, but excuse the images as they are --- ahem -- Canon shots:

and,

and for comparison,

:D :D :D,
Jack,
Unless the real thing has better shadow detail it is no deal.
-bob

p.s.
I am weakening

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob, the real thing not only has better shadow detail, it feels like you are winding a swiss watch as you make the leveling adjustments. :D

Did I mention that the tilts are nodal (or at least close enough to the lens axis to be called such) too? Note that first image again -- (or twice :D) -- and you can see that with a simple sliding plate, you can get nodal multi-row stitches. So in effect, this head SAVES you money because you won't need a full pano head!

:ROTFL:,

PeterA

ha! I am glad you posted this jacko- I have had one on order with the guys at Capture Intergration for liek 2 months...and was going to cancel...but..maybe..not.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What's amazing is I paid half that for mine a few years back... Glad I bought in then :)

Did I mention it's just like having your camera mounted and adjustable like a surveyor's transit?

:)D),

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John, trust me it will only hurt once. Then after you use it the first time, you forget all about the original purchase price pain. Think of it as a really nice XY + index milling base for your camera :D