The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would like to upgrade, which MDB?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would agree that the Aptus backs are just fine for landscape use (excellent actually), their LCDs are accurate for image review in the field and superior by a long shot than the equivalent P+ back displays. I don't get why folks seem to think that the IQ/Credo are the only game in town for decent image review without tethering. Faster? No doubt. However, both the previous generation and certainly the current Aptus II generation backs have very good LCD displays and a UI that you can drive either with a stylus or your fingernail.

I agree with Shlomi's take on things. If you are looking for a cost effective upgrade then I'd definitely look at the Leaf options - just so long as high ISO or long exposure aren't the most important factors.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
These are the keys. Buy a system and buy long term. You can take this in baby steps which cost more long term and help short term. Or take the bite and get it over with. I wish I was able to take the bite out of the gate when I went away from the ZD. It cost me way more money this way going inch by inch. Having done this it's my best advice each baby jump was a minimum of 5k each now I'll let you do the math. I don't want to think about it. That's just my advice as been there done that wish I did it different.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't get this kind of comment. How can they possibly be a "must have" when there are so many great images in the "Fun with MF images" thread all the way back to 2008, when the thread started?

Better, sure. "Nice to have", undoubtedly.

But "must have"?

I think that's doing a bit of an injustice to everyone who seemed (and presumably some who still seem) to be perfectly capable of shooting great images with these backs, regardless of how technology has improved in the latest generations.
Sorry, I assumed everyone would understand my meaning better. Let me rephrase ---

Use an IQ back in the field one time, and after doing so many will find it extremely difficult to settle for anything else without such a robust and elegant UI.

homeiss

Sorry, I assumed everyone would understand my meaning better. Let me rephrase ---

Use an IQ back in the field one time, and after doing so many will find it extremely difficult to settle for anything else without such a robust and elegant UI.
I shoot with a ZD back as well. I have never used any other digital backs, but at least this way I don't know what I'm missing... :D

Geoff

Having used the rotating sensor of the Leaf, it would be hard to give that up. Too bad one can't have both the new IQ/Creo interfaces as well as the rotating sensor.

F

FabianB

Hello Jono,

I never got warm about Nikon cameras. I guess that's just me. Spec wise the D800 is a killer. However none of the pictures I've seen on the Nikon pages and the forums got me excited. Colors look dull and 'too thick'. And the 100% crops of the D800E lack the clarity and the acuity the Mamiya ZD back delivers. So why change...
This is my subjective view and perhaps many disagree.

Greetings, Fabian

or you could try a Nikon D800E

or a pentax 645d

jonoslack

Hello Jono,

I never got warm about Nikon cameras. I guess that's just me. Spec wise the D800 is a killer. However none of the pictures I've seen on the Nikon pages and the forums got me excited. Colors look dull and 'too thick'. And the 100% crops of the D800E lack the clarity and the acuity the Mamiya ZD back delivers. So why change...
This is my subjective view and perhaps many disagree.

Greetings, Fabian
Hi Fabian
Well, I was trying to be a little wicked really. But I quite agree, I can't get on with Nikon cameras - nasty yellows and big, compromised lenses . . . but I guess that's just my prejudice. The Pentax might be interesting though?

The photographic world seems to me to be changing faster by the month, and shelling out lots of money on MF right now seems rash, to say the least.

I just see 10s of thousands of dollars going on digital MF camera systems here, and although I fully except that they are, without question, the dog's bollocks . . and if you REALLY need what they have to offer . . . . I once took out my credit card to pay for a ZD, but never quite got there. These days, 30" prints from my M9 are fine, the camera is 'affordable', and the lenses are almost an investment

F

FabianB

Hello Jono,

I asked myself a great many times why I got into medium format and keep sticking with it. The Alpha 900 that I use most of the times delivers great results yet if I want to get that special picture I take out the ZD. It is a joy when the 'perfect' shot comes together with perfect quality and that pleasure of taking pictures manifests itself back in the look of the photos...
The Pentax is very interesting indeed and if I hadn't bought into the Mamiya system already it would stand very high on my list, quite near those Leaf backs :)

Fabian

Hi Fabian
Well, I was trying to be a little wicked really. But I quite agree, I can't get on with Nikon cameras - nasty yellows and big, compromised lenses . . . but I guess that's just my prejudice. The Pentax might be interesting though?

The photographic world seems to me to be changing faster by the month, and shelling out lots of money on MF right now seems rash, to say the least.

I just see 10s of thousands of dollars going on digital MF camera systems here, and although I fully except that they are, without question, the dog's bollocks . . and if you REALLY need what they have to offer . . . . I once took out my credit card to pay for a ZD, but never quite got there. These days, 30" prints from my M9 are fine, the camera is 'affordable', and the lenses are almost an investment

F

FabianB

Hello Yair,

It would be immensly helpful if you could help me access some raw files of the Aptus II7 and the Aptus 75 back. These are my preferred choices at present, reading and digesting all the info that was provided in this thread. The Aptus 75 is the preference because of it's attractive price point.

Greetings, Fabian

I think that you will find that any of the Leaf backs you've mentioned will run circles around your ZD when it comes to functionality and image quality

Specifically for landscape, the histogram and average + spot meter facilities on the Aptus, IMO, are the best on any camera. The large screen, while using a relatively low resolution LCD, is very accurate for judging focus since it creates the 100% preview directly out of the RAW data with/without sharpening applied, depending on how you set it.

The onboard operating system and the stylus allows us to implement many advanced functionality such as IPTC & copyright input, focal length input (for mechanical lenses) etc.

On the Aptus-II and the DM models you'll enjoy the improved GUI (search for Leaf GUI on YouTube there's a clip that I created about a year ago) and if you can stretch to buying new or refurb you'll also get factory warranty

Worth noting that all Aptus models are limited to 32 sec max exposure time. The new Credo can do longer than that

Please let me know if you'd like to see some RAW files and if you need any help worth finding a dealer

BR, yair