The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

strange lines on long exposures...

elrafo

Hello,

this is my first test for night shot, 15 sec pose with a CFV (only 3700 activations).

is my CCD dead ? I am really upset as I just bought this back. never saw this on any of my long exposures, even with my 5D.

elrafo

this is not showing on fast exposition, just on high level pixels on long exposures, is it IR reflection or a known issue ?

thanks

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
How long was the exposure?

The top trail looks suspiciously like an aircraft or helicopter etc. The others though look like sensor overload as they are all on bright spots and read out from the edge of the frame. I'm sure one our techs here will explain...

elrafo

Hello Graham,

the exposure is 15 sec,
my photos are wonderful on normal speed, but long exposures with bright spots like in this example will allways show lines from right to left...

thanks

atanabe

Elrafo,
Looks like the shutter was still open when the time limit of the exposure ended. Try cloaing the shutter before the end of capture by the back and see if this is still a problem. Time the exposure with the camera shutter and not with the max time capture of the back. The artifact may be a result of the shutter being open while the back was trying to read from the sensor.
Al

elrafo

Atanabe,

thanks a lot! this is exactly that, that solved my problem of the Lines !

now I have another concern, the reflexions! can you see that in the example attached ? is it the IR Filter ?

thanks!

Raph, I am glad all is working now. What camera body are you using?

Al T, thank you for the assistance for Raph. That was my exact thought as I started to read the thread.