The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Take On 35mm vs MFD (Long!)

torger

I did myself as an amateur get a MF tech cam system because I like the shooting process, and I was slow and fiddly with my 35mm digital anyway. I'm an engineer, I enjoy the gear and I'm not ashamed of that :).

Being out in the nature enjoying both the nature itself and the shooting experience is the most important to me. A good result now and then is still important to me, but I don't need to produce it every day to meet a demand and make a living. I'd like it to stay that way.

I refuse to be a fan boy though and join in on the MF team in the MF-is-better-than-35mm-war. I would not have got into MF if I couldn't buy the digital back second hand. The DBs are just too expensive for what you get, and the business is just too professionally oriented for us amateurs, never liked the dealer-centric way, and that gear seems to be designed to need excellent support rather than just work flawless.

Geoff

Like Torger, also got in through amateur status. Found a demo back for a great price, fit it on the body it was made for, and never looked back. Never had a dealer for support, just factory reps.

With this setup, the work has gotten significantly more serious and disciplined. No longer just shooting, rather looking for the serious image, a single good one each time out. Everything becomes a setup for that shot. That discipline is related to the larger viewing, ability to compose critically, and the inability to be casual about technique. MFDB can deliver extraordinary results, but also can smack you around if you don't pay attention. At the same time, the file elasticity means a photo may be found in surprising places. For walkabout still-lifes, the results can have such incredible tonality and be much closer to fine art. Its a pleasure to shoot and to work like this.

Some or all of the technical capabilities of MFDB can be found in smaller setups, yet the experience cannot. The work would not be the same. I wish it were, as simpler, smaller, cheaper gear wouldn't hurt at all. But its not.

Absolutely agree with you Robert. Very well put. I came to similar conclusions just recently. You might find my last blog post of interest: Richard Osbourne Art Images | A New Camera! The Odyssey from 35mm Digital to Medium Format Digital Photography

Even though I'm working professionally, the love was definitely draining out of it with 35mm gear. I'm loving the simplicity and image quality of the Cambo/P45 and it's brought me right back to just the love of doing what I do. I'm actually excited about doing landscape photography again!! Yeeehah!

F

felicidade1

Hearing you guys, it sort of pointing the right direction for me. Really encouraging. The recent months have been a turing point for me as a photographer. I embraced MF for the first time and have never been happier shooting 120 film. I know that a digital back is the logical next step for me.

Probably a more affordable like a used P25+ or even a P21+. Maybe I should contact a dealer soon for possible good deals...

rga

I did myself as an amateur get a MF tech cam system because I like the shooting process, and I was slow and fiddly with my 35mm digital anyway. I'm an engineer, I enjoy the gear and I'm not ashamed of that :).

Being out in the nature enjoying both the nature itself and the shooting experience is the most important to me. A good result now and then is still important to me, but I don't need to produce it every day to meet a demand and make a living. I'd like it to stay that way.

I refuse to be a fan boy though and join in on the MF team in the MF-is-better-than-35mm-war. I would not have got into MF if I couldn't buy the digital back second hand. The DBs are just too expensive for what you get, and the business is just too professionally oriented for us amateurs, never liked the dealer-centric way, and that gear seems to be designed to need excellent support rather than just work flawless.
I have to disagree, respectfully, with you. I've never bought a new back; only used from a dealer. I've needed little support as my backs have come flawless with a 1 year warranty. When I do need support (usually from my own ignorance) I get first class treatment.

I've shot a lot of 35mm "fiddling" as you do/did (Canon 1DsMkIII with T/S lenses, tripod only, MLU, live view manual focusing, etc.), so I love to geek as much as the next geek. But the files and images from MFDB far exceed 35mm and using a tech cam is heaven on earth for this geek.

My backs have worked flawlessly (3 used ones from a dealer), I've gotten great trade in value (basically my original cost) when upgrading, and I continue to struggle to have my photographic capabilities equal my equipment's capabilities. So I ain't no fan boy either. Just a guy who, with the help of a great dealer, adores his gear!
Best,
Bob

fotografz

I'm a bit in the same camp, maybe skewed to being a "fan-boy" a bit, but for reason. Long term, I've had good experiences getting what I want from MFD both for paying work and for personal art.

In the beginning, it was for demanding commercial work that required very detailed images that could be manipulated by retouchers and/or used in various end applications up to 8' wall banners. I also shoot weddings and really didn't need MFD for that work, but did since I had the gear. Now I'm moving away from weddings and found a new niche shooting fitness portraits where MFD has come to the forefront again to deliver exactly what I want and do it flawlessly.

The other day I did a job with a fitness competitor (swimsuit category), and we went from 7AM to 3PM non-stop, often shooting sync flash up to 1/800th shutter ... mostly tethered, all seamlessly and swiftly. The tonality and detail once again has become paramount in importance, and once again my trusted MFD delivered beyond client expectations ... which is what I always strive for ... give them "beyond what is expected" and they will come back and spread the word.

-Marc

torger

Just like flash sync speed can be a MF killer app, so can tech camera movements. However, I don't think the industry can ignore that those journalism/wildlife/sports DSLR cameras now are very close in many areas.

If the systems are a lot more expensive and only have a few key features it can become a problem. I think there have to be a change in the coming years in order to keep a reasonable size of the market. Making MFDBs more attractive for amateurs through lower prices and make them easy to buy (put in basket in a web shop for example) could be one way.