The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA tilt swing adapter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The new adapter seems to fit the leaked description of capabilities hinted at over time.

Initially I was told Rodenstock only - that makes sense due to the 17mm minimum spacing between the lens & sensor which necessitates retro-focus wides - i.e. Rodies.

Support for Schneider glass - the newer mounts for Schneiders wider than 80mm would fit that rumor too. Just not 47, 35 or wider (see above). That's a bummer but I understand why.

Engineering the 17mm spacer might look like a trivial undertaking but if you've ever seen the machining, baffles and precision build of the existing adapter, not to mention the rest of the camera, you start to understand why it isn't something you fabricate up overnight. John Milich (JLM) here can no doubt attest to this fact since that's his field. What looks simple and elegant (whether you like it or not or think it's from the school of meccano), takes a lot of careful design for a production piece.

If you've never used an Alpa and pick one up you'll realize that these are precision made cameras from the NASA school of engineering, not the artisan wooden large format school of camera building. I think that Alpa is somewhat too proud of their stuff at times and charge a premium for it - however, I shoot Alpa because I very much appreciate the quality of workmanship, the tactility of the system and the knowledge that it is me screwing things up, not the camera. (Per Darr's description earlier too - you get what you need and can add bells & whistles if you need them).

Yes, I'm a fan. No I don't like the nose bleed pricing. Yes I do understand the engineering approach taken by Alpa to extend the system. Sure I wish it were like Yair described with the best of all worlds but I suspect that we'll have to wait and see on that front. However, the tilt adapter with lenses up to 32mm looks like a very practical system. I wish my Schneider wides would magically work too but that rear element -> sensor distance isn't going to fit - at least with this body & adapter design.

Damn, time to save up ... again!

gazwas

Yes, Arca cameras are engineered very well, but aesthetically I find the "R" series not appealing and when I gave the "R" a serious look at, I realized I would be paying for things I would not need. When you buy into the "R" series, you buy the entire package. You have more customization options with ALPA.
My wife refers to the Arca R as a robot cam as it reminds her of the face of a robot from a TV program she watched as a child. :loco:

I do agree we have different tastes and possibly I am a techie camera geek as I much prefer the fact everything is built into the R camera body. I always found it unforgivable that Alpa manufactured a big old camera in the MAX but found it acceptable to only offer either rise/fall or shift on the standard camera. The only way to get both was to add another accessory (stitch adapter) to the camera to get it to work as most normally use a tech camera. Just seems short sighted (or greedy) to asked people to continually buy bits to get it to function as it should do in the first place.

Its great the adapter has been released and shows Alpa listens to its customers requests but the Meccano sales model just bothers me.

darr

My wife refers to the Arca R as a robot cam as it reminds her of the face of a robot from a TV program she watched as a child. :loco:
:ROTFL:
I think I see some similarities.

I do agree we have different tastes and possibly I am a techie camera geek as I much prefer the fact everything is built into the R camera body. I always found it unforgivable that Alpa manufactured a big old camera in the MAX but found it acceptable to only offer either rise/fall or shift on the standard camera. The only way to get both was to add another accessory (stitch adapter) to the camera to get it to work as most normally use a tech camera. Just seems short sighted (or greedy) to asked people to continually buy bits to get it to function as it should do in the first place.
I understand how you would think that, but I do not know if it was an afterthought after the initial design or if it was their initial design with it being a more customizable system. I use the MAX and since I came from the 4x5" camera, I wanted the movements (we get use to our comfort zones). I do not know enough about the ALPA line history to call it an old design or not, but the MAX is an easy camera to operate. I use to say my camera was just a box, now I feel like it is a slice of light-weight metal with gliding movements and a lens.

Its great the adapter has been released and shows Alpa listens to its customers requests but the Meccano sales model just bothers me.
Yes, for some ALPA users it is good news, although I will not be buying it. Is the MECCANO sales model the "Erector Set" they sell here in the states? If so, I guess that is one of the reasons I decided to stay with ALPA; for the ability to choose how to dress up the box.

f8orbust

You seem to be very proud of your totally overdriven sarcasm which is entirely
inappropriate here and almost an offence .
Is that the way a discussion should be here in the forum ? No , surely not .
Gotta say I think you've taken the original comments the wrong way - they were light hearted and not intended to offend, I'm sure.

Probably just a case of the essence of what was being said getting lost in translation. I don't believe there was anything sarcastic said - and even if there was, when Brits use sarcasm, it's almost always for comic effect.

My opinion on the Alpa tilt adapter: Er, no thanks.

Having some engineering skills myself, I'd say it's not impossible to use with the Schneiders, if Alpa would produce some recessed boards with modified focussing rings (all depends on how close the rear element needs to be to the sensor at infinity of course, on a lens-by-lens basis).

By the way, heard a rumour that Schneider will be bringing out a retrofocus wide angle at Photokina.

dchew

Well, this may have pushed me over the edge with my 43xl. I really like the lens because of it's size & weight. But now I think the 40hr is the better option. May end up putting the 43 up for sale.

This solution is about what I expected. It does bum me out a little that I feel a bit squeezed into Rodi. Nothing wrong with Rodis, I have the 70 and the 100 and like them both very much. I just like having options, and I don't want to buy big heavy wides.

All that being said, I am quite happy Alpa came up with a solution. Here's to that!

Ciao,
Dave

PeterL

Dave - maybe wait it out till Photokina. I do not think we have heard the whole story here. I too am a bit disappointed that there are no immediate solutions for wide SK lenses, but the announcement today was pretty much what was expected: tilt/swing for the Rodie lenses. That some of the SK mid-range lens also benefit from this is good. But again, there are more things coming I'm told.....

Cheers, -Peter

dchew

Re: Alpa tilt swing adapter

Doug,
One other point that might matter to some: The Alpa option can tilt or swing either the back or the lens.

Dave

With Alpa updating their tilt-swing offerings it seems a good time to get an updated survey of the pancake Tilt Shift options out there.

Cambo Tilt and Swing:
- requires lens retrofit into TS mount
- widest Schneider: 43mm
- widest Rodenstock: 28mm
- tilt and swing can be applied simultaneously

Arca Tilt and Swing:
- built into body, every lens works without retrofit
- widest Schneider: 24mm (all)
- widest Rodenstock: 23mm (all)
- tilt, or swing, not both at the same time

Alpa Tilt and Swing:
- requires lens retrofit, and separate adapter
- widest Schneider: 60mm
- widest Rodenstock: 32mm
- tilt, or swing, not both at the same time

Feel free to make any corrections, or to add other pancake platforms to the list.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dave - maybe wait it out till Photokina. I do not think we have heard the whole story here. I too am a bit disappointed that there are no immediate solutions for wide SK lenses, but the announcement today was pretty much what was expected: tilt/swing for the Rodie lenses. That some of the SK mid-range lens also benefit from this is good. But again, there are more things coming I'm told.....

Cheers, -Peter
Have to agree with Dave and Peter here, looks nice just wish the SK wides are not getting left out on this solution but given the IQ 180 for example than Rodie is about the only choice for wide angle , now this. The good news it just may puch Schneider to make some needed changes to there lens lineup.

Stefan Steib

Re: Alpa tilt swing adapter

Gerald

we are not fat......:rolleyes:, this is just a bit wide in the hips, a camera for grownups -not the Asia tiny mini style...........:D

Greetings from Kiev
Stefan

Hartblei HCam
- Utilises tilt/swing/shift of available lenses
- Widest, Canon 17mm TS-E
- Tilt and swing can be applied simultaneously (axis on which the lens tilts can be rotated)

OK, so it's a bit of a fat pancake, I'll grant you that :)